Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars

Default Star Wars

Star Wars is one series that I'd bet most people here have watched at some point or another. It was one of the earliest films I remember watching, as my parents got a video box set of Star Wars 4, 5 and 6, and later an video of episode 1. I then watched episodes 2 and 3 in the cinema.

At the time that I first watched them, I was quite a bit younger, and thought that episode 2 was the best, and that episode 5 was the worst. I'm not quite sure what I saw in episode 2 back then, other than maybe the special effects. Episode 5 on the other hand is much much better now when I rewatch the films today. I think that just bothered me when I was younger because it had a mostly unresolved ending (Well, duh, it's a middle film, but 12 year old me didn't think that) and it was quite a bit darker than the others. It's probably the same reasons that cause it to be my favourite today, so I guess tastes do change.

I also came across this article today, suggesting that the best order to watch the films in was 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 and most of the points made within it seem to make sense, so I'm probably going to try that out soon.

So, what does everyone else think of the star wars films? Which was your favourite and why?

I consider myself a Star Wars superfan.. I collect anything star wars and obviously love the films. Most people don't, but I also love the prequels.. Even though I will admit that Episode 2 was a bit weak.

The whole franchise is tied for the #2 slot of my favorite films of all time.. Second to only Big Trouble in Little China.

well, i use to be obsessed with the original star wars film. my uncle *who would never admit he was a major nerd, use to play DnD and write fan fiction of star trek and such, lol* was the one that introduced me to it, and i became a fanatic, collected the games, some which you could only get by paying $30 a month for them to send you cards and special collection items. i still love the movies, and i still like the original (4,5 and 6) better then the more recent ones released into theaters. i have gotten rid of a lot of my stuff i use to collect, but i still got some good games and all my movies, including the original singel vhs versions where you can still see all the flaws of production before its time, lol.

but out of all the releases they have come out with, i guess return of the jedi was my favorite because of the ewoks mainly.

yub-nub

Quote Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    I also came across this article today, suggesting that the best order to watch the films in was 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 and most of the points made within it seem to make sense, so I'm probably going to try that out soon.
    "George Lucas believes that Star Wars is the story of Anakin Skywalker, but it is not. The prequels, which establish his character, are so poor at being character-driven that, if the series is about Anakin, the entire series is a failure. Anakin is not a relatable character, Luke is." BwhahahahahHHHHhahHahAHh. The guy who directed, wrote and helped made Star Wars doesn't know jack shit about Star Wars?

Anyways I think all the movies are hit and miss. episode 4 (a new hope) and episode 1 are both just setup story lines. both mid episodes are pretty much bad guys winning, good guys losing. Then episode 3/6 is a out right "we win" movie for the dark side/light side.

All in all, my favorite movie is Revenge of the Sith. It has little in the way of bullshit that never matters, it's directly to the point.

Star Wars was the video I used (working in cahoots with the salesman in the store) to convince the wife to let me ante up for our first VHS machine. He had it hooked up to one of the nicer stereo systems in the store, so the the deep rumbling of the space ships in the opening scenes shook her down to her shoes. Of course my intent was to duplicate that at home with my big 'ol Cerwin-Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Star Wars was the video I used (working in cahoots with the salesman in the store) to convince the wife to let me ante up for our first VHS machine. He had it hooked up to one of the nicer stereo systems in the store, so the the deep rumbling of the space ships in the opening scenes shook her down to her shoes. Of course my intent was to duplicate that at home with my big 'ol Cerwin-Vegas.
    what's sad is the same thing is happening now, but with likely Avatar. How disturbing is that? (Hint: bigger then the disturbance of alldron being blown to bits.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    "George Lucas believes that Star Wars is the story of Anakin Skywalker, but it is not. The prequels, which establish his character, are so poor at being character-driven that, if the series is about Anakin, the entire series is a failure. Anakin is not a relatable character, Luke is." BwhahahahahHHHHhahHahAHh. The guy who directed, wrote and helped made Star Wars doesn't know jack shit about Star Wars?[snipped]
    It's more that the story he conceived after the fact doesn't fit what has gone before. I don't believe for a moment that this was conceived as a whole thing from the outset or anywhere near it. It is poorly shoehorned into coordination with the original three movies of which even the two sequels appear to me to have been afterthoughts rather than planned. I am well aware of Lucas' describing his plan for nine films after release of the original but I think that was only after the money started rolling in from a success on a scale not seen before.

To the original question: the first is the one complete story and set the stage for everything else, which makes it the winner in my mind. ESB was very good but its premise guts the resolution of the first movie (we are promised by the opening text crawl- the omniscient narrator that the destruction of the Death Star will bring freedom to the galaxy) which is a substantial black mark. As for the viewing order, I think the only meaningful one is to leave out the prequels altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    So, what does everyone else think of the star wars films? Which was your favourite and why?
    I love the original trilogy, and by "original," I'm referring to the movies as they were first seen in theaters. How I wish those versions could be restored and put on Blu-ray! All three of them are great, in my opinion, but my favorite would have to be Return of the Jedi. Why? Well, because I actually got to see that in the movie theater when I was seven. I was too young to see the others when they were released. That's not to say I didn't know the stories by heart, though; I had them on LP records.

...and, of course, whenever I surf eBay and see how much the original Millennium Falcon play set is selling for, I'm filled with regret for having allowed my parents to give mine to my cousin. D'oh!

i saw Star Wars #4 when it first came out.
    i was stationed in California at the time; a Navy town (full of submariners) during the cold war...... you sort-of need to look at the back-drop of the times in which the idea's for the movie's were being conceived. as an example, at the end where the two guys were getting awarded metals for destroying the death star...... everyone in the theater got to their feet and clapped as if we had just blew the USSR off the face of the plant.... i had never seen another movie have that response in my life up to that time. and i was told that it happened almost every showing too!

my point is that for any movie to be understood and appreciated; one simply must see it through the eye-of-the-moment....
    Star Wars made us feel good way back then.....