Thread: Urologist, Nappies and Medication

Default Urologist, Nappies and Medication

Hi there, so I've been going to my local continence clinic for the past few months now and finally they are going to take action by prescribing me some sort of meds, which are to be determined by my GP.

I went to visit them on Wednesday as my bedwetting has been pretty much non stop for the past few weeks and my daytime problems are now so bad that I have been using nappies every day recently. I did everything they asked me to do - cut out coffee, carbonated drinks, alcohol, drink more water etc but there has been no change other than my problems have gotten much much worse.

They did a bladder scan and apparently my bladder appears to be emptying itself properly, which is good, I guess. I didn't realise that during the scan, the top of my nappy was peeking out of the top of my shorts and the nurse noticed, which was kind of embarrassing.

She said that she could get some pads for me but I'm pretty sure they will be these NHS ones which I hear are useless. She said that "they won't be the nappy-style ones like you're wearing right now" but she's gonna send me some samples so we will see.

So now she's contacted my GP to arrange for him to prescribe some meds which apparently make the nerve endings in my bladder less responsive.

Has anybody had any meds like these before and how have they worked? Have they had any nasty side effects?

Thanks

It's hard to say what meds your GP will prescribe in advance.
    I was prescribed doxazosin earlier this year, and I found them terrible. They took away all my energy and I walked around like a zombie. I lasted on them for two weeks before giving up.
    When you visit your GP remember that whether you take drugs, and how you choose to manage your condition, is your choice not theirs.
    I was offered surgery after the meds failed, but I've opted to manage my condition. I am always aware of my needs (for toilets and lots of them) when I leave the house, and if I can't be sure of being safe, I take the precaution of wearing a nappy.
    At the end of the day I'd rather have a clear sharp mind and be wearing a wet nappy than have the opposite.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I am a bit apprehensive about taking meds for incontinence as most accounts I've read are not just negative but actually scare me about the horrible side effects these things could cause me. I'll let you know how I get on...

Last time I lived in Spain was for only for three months, but one day I went to the doctor to get some information of my wetting-problem. He asked a few questions, felt with his fingers if my stomach was ok, and then gave me a prescription for Vesicare (I didn't dare take them). Here in Norway I have been to the doctor two times, I'm going to the hospital for some tests next month, and then I'll maybe get some medications or whatever they recommend. But although I hate the waiting-time here, I don't really like getting prescriptions after just a few questions when it comes to incontinence. I'm not a pill fan But although I'm not familiar with medications (in general), I don't think meds for incontinence have more side-effects than other medication.

But I do recommend googling the meds you are gonna take when you get a name, because doctors do mistakes from time to time

Hey so I was on doxazosin, the reason for that med is to make the bladder neck open up if you are not emptying properly so chance are you will not be put on that. But I would look up the drug before you take it. But do not freak yourself out about the side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by binkygirl View Post
    Hey so I was on doxazosin, the reason for that med is to make the bladder neck open up if you are not emptying properly so chance are you will not be put on that. But I would look up the drug before you take it. But do not freak yourself out about the side effects.
    So how did doxazosin work for you? Did you get any improvement in bladder function? Any side effects? Was the benefit worth the cost?
    Last edited by Trevor; 29-Aug-2012 at 00:56. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

I guess It did. When I had my last check up my bladder was not retaining as much so yeah. It also stopped my bladder infections.
    [QUOTE=LittleLostPuppy;937338]So how did doxazosin work for you? Did you get any improvement in bladder function? Any side effects? Was the benefit worth the cost?

Thans for the advice all, I'm picking up my prescription tomorrow and will see what they are giving me. My bladder is emptying fine so i doubt I will be given doxadosin. I'm not too freaked, it's just that I've heard a lot of stories about dehydration and dry mouth, and I drink a lot of water, which has been recommended by the nurses. I'm not a pill fan either but we will see how it goes. I will try to keep you posted

Type in Drugs.com and read up on the medications