Thread: Abusing therapists

Default Abusing therapists

I heard this recently in another thread so I asked how do you abuse one and no one answered. So I am hoping people will answer it here.

I have never heard of people abusing therapists. I always thought they were for people who have problems and for people who can't cope so they go and see one. I also thought they were for people who need help to get over things or need someone to rant to about their problems or when they need help dealing with things in their life.

But abusing one? How does that even work? I would see that you would have to fake your problems or pretend you have issues to see one and that would be abusing one.

The only way you could really abuse a therapist is by being aggressive or making sexual advances towards them. An emotional outburst is understandable, but being physically violent or verbally attacking them would probably constitute abuse.

Faking problems to see a therapist wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing; it might indicate an underlying problem. I'm no psychologist, but if I were, and somebody came in and lied to me about their problems, I'd be interested in what might cause them to lie rather than kick them out. Besides, psychologists/therapists usually get paid pretty well for their sessions with patients. If you're lying about a problem just to see a psychologist, it's your money wasted.

~TheFoxxehAssassin~

people seeking out prescription drugs as well. People will go see a psychotherapist, only to get drugs prescriptions

if therapists are being abused at all they can and would call the police unless their family was being held hostage or something to that extent. The patient/doctor confidentiality does not apply to threats, or crimes or if they think your a legitimate danger to yourself or others. So I just can't see paint's abusing their therapists something that happens on a regular basis with no actions or further guidelines being I'm place.

I know I snapped at onewhen he was intentionally trying to set me off, but I was maybe 9 or 10 then. Pretty much he was making some sort of infantile joke about me and back then I down right hated the fact I wanted to at least try if not like diapers.

I think they mean something altogether different. People who abuse therapists are the ones who don't really need a therapist, but go to one, and then another when they're dissatisfied with the first. Then they hop to another, and another. You see actresses dong this all the time. Basically they go to a therapist to say, "poor me" and vent about how horrible their life is when often their life and lifestyle is much better than others. So in other words, they abuse the therapists time when the therapist could be better spending their time with someone who really needs them.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I think they mean something altogether different. People who abuse therapists are the ones who don't really need a therapist, but go to one, and then another when they're dissatisfied with the first. Then they hop to another, and another. You see actresses dong this all the time. Basically they go to a therapist to say, "poor me" and vent about how horrible their life is when often their life and lifestyle is much better than others. So in other words, they abuse the therapists time when the therapist could be better spending their time with someone who really needs them.
    Well if that's the case they might just be wasting their own money paying for the sessions, if the therpist really felt they were wasting both of their time they could easily drop the client. just seems like it would be easy to identify such people seeking out attention or just a shoulder to cry on.

Plus the same can be said for most people. Some of the poorest people here in america likely have it easier then the most poor in say north koera. Though that's just a strawman of course, I just think that if people are willing to pay for a service they don't really need, they can if they want. After that it will be the therpaist's decision to keep "treating" them. Plus there is the issue of them needing uneeded attention and thinking their life is somehow crappy.

I read a therapist's notes online about a guy that visited her in childish clothes, "stared provocatively" at her while drinking from a baby bottle, spoke in baby-talk and... presumably was trying to elicit some kind of mothering response INSTEAD of seeing her to deal maturely with his psychological issues. That sounds like something I'd call "abusing your therapist"...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Plus there is the issue of them needing uneeded attention and thinking their life is somehow crappy.
    Ha ha -- that reminds me of Catch-22 (sort of). If you are seeing a therapist when you don't really need to, that's something you ought to see a therapist for!

Spaniel

It might be them refusing to pay for therapy sessions due to no progress in whatever their problem is. Not giving a therapist the amount due, now THAT is just torture!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniel View Post
    It might be them refusing to pay for therapy sessions due to no progress in whatever their problem is. Not giving a therapist the amount due, now THAT is just torture!
    I don't think I encountered any that doesn't take payment up front. Plus even if that was the case, then it's a crime theft of services and then the shrink could simply call the cops.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniel View Post
    Not giving a therapist the amount due, now THAT is just torture!
    Psychological torture?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I don't think I encountered any that doesn't take payment up front.
    Mine doesn't. I can't imagine being asked to pay for a service like that up-front for some reason. Like when you get your hair cut or jump into a taxi... or eat at a restaurant... It would feel like I was being viewed with suspicion and distrust if I was asked to pay first...