Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mitt Romney-Paul Ryan ticket

Default Mitt Romney-Paul Ryan ticket

A quick search of Paul Ryan didn't turn up anything still open so...

Today Mitt Romney announced Paul Ryan as his choice for Vice President. Ryan, for those of you who may not know, is from Wisconsin, one of the youngest members of the GOP in office, and a fiscal hawk.

If I hadn't seen it on Facebook before turning on my TV, I would have know right away as the backdrop was the USS Wisconsin.

I would like to know everyone's opinion on how this affects Mitt Romney's ticket. My personal belief is that Ryan was picked to appeal to the younger base. It should help him some.

I hope to see everyone's response, particularly our heavy weights in politics: Near, Fire2Box, and FruitKitty. Have at it!

In short, he has just lost the election.

Florida went blue.

Edit (since it felt short):

Paul Ryan wants to do some things that Florida will not want to happen (Edit2 [Fail Lobie]: Such as increasing the retirement age to 70)...

They also both want tax cuts for the rich, and to increase taxes for the non-rich

I really think it's a wrong decision, but I guess when it really comes to it we will have to wait and see.

Even Mitt Romney's campaign knew that Paul Ryan was a terrible decision. Otherwise, they would have announced on Monday to get the primetime coverage. Everyone in politics knows the way to bury something unpleasant is to dump it on a Friday night and run, which is exactly what the Romney campaign did.

My thoughts on this? Ryan will appeal to the conservative base. It will also turn off seniors and moderates, and it won't be enough to overcome the idea that Romney's a Morman moderate flip-flopper. The Obama campaign's been trying to paint the election as a stark choice, and the Romney campaign just handed them a paintbrush and bucket of paint.

I'd have more, but I'm on my way out the door for the rest of the weekend.

Reeks of desperation. Romney is a very conservative (not as in politically, but as in "safe") person. All indications, both from inside and outside his campaign, was that he wanted someone that wouldn't upstage him and would not cause any risk to his campaign. Essentially a somewhat bland choice that would offend neither his base nor undecided voters.

Ryan isn't bland. He's a very outspoken TEA party favourite that has views that are quite far of the mainstream on things such as medicare. What this indicates is that Romney is not happy with the current status quo and that he wants a change - essentially the same reason why McCain ended up taking a chance on Palin.

Ryan will excite the TEA party base. The issue is that he has views that will be unpopular with seniors and middle class families. Frankly as long as Obama does a good job smearing Ryan using his past plans involving medicare and medicaid this will hurt Romney a lot, especially with seniors. If this does cost Romney Florida then he really doesn't have many realistic roads to the presidency.

Romney should have gone for Mark Rubio. I think he might have been able to guarantee Florida that way. Not to mention Rubio's appeal to the Latin-American population in the country and his apparent ability to reach across the aisle and appeal to Democrats. I could be mistaken but that's how I'm seeing him.
    I think trying to appeal to the conservative base is stupid, as Romney is the republican nominee so there is no way in hell they are going to vote for Obama or some third party candidate. He would be the most conservative option still, so why push harder right when you what you really want to worry about as a candidate is the moderate swing voters in the middle. I think Romney just lost a lot of those key voters with this decision and further solidified people's faith in him as a conservative candidate while gaining no new votes.

Truth is, this is a Bush/Cheney marriage. The moderate-seeming President backed by the sociopathic ultra-right-winger. We already knew Norquist/Ryan would be in charge of the4 show if Romney is elected; now we are assured of it. The right will like it but it will cause the Democrats to bear down too.

I haven't read any posts and only skimmed over the TC's post. So im just going with my gut and current level of understanding of Mitt and Paul. I think mitt chose Paul Ryan because he is young and hopes that helps win votes of younger people in and/or out of swing states. Just kinda like a tiny chip off obama's 2008 numbers for young voters.

However I also think Paul Ryan is a bit of a hardass for being such a young politician. He really seems to think it's his way or the high way and because of this I can't see how he openly supports Mitt with mitt's constant flip-flopping on many issues in the past 10 years. Him supporting Mitt and accepting the VP nomination only tells me he thinks it's okay to change your views to get party support, donations and/or votes. Romney seemed fine to me in 2008 as I voted for him in the CA primary election, but this time around he's not nearly as strong and candid as he seemed to me in 2008.

Plus it doesn't help that people like me who pretty much loathed Obama for having little to no experience in 2008 actually like him now since we've been checking off his accomplishments. He got the health care bill passed under every federal branch of government. congress, senate, oval office and lastly the supreme court where a key republican justice agreed with it. The republican party has imploded and its leaders just plainly suck. When i voted for Ron Paul this year I knew he wasn't a republican at all, he's just a libertarian in disguise. However he was also the only candidate that had a shot of beating out Mitt and who's plans seemed most like republican ideals. Cut spending, stop engaging in endless wars that accomplish little to nothing and forces back on shit here at home that needs fixing.

"But fire2box, don't you want us to go into Syria and kick ass of the oppressive government?"

Of course I do! However neither Obama or Romney will send ground troops in because Syria has some heavy backers. It's like a reverse cold war. We want to help but we;ll only provide food and non-lethal aid.

pretty much by doing this Romney has further cemented he won't be getting my vote. not that mine matters, Obama will get California's popular vote. But there has to be young republicans like me in the battle ground states. People who've watched news since they were 10 and know how to use the internet and don't dismiss The Daily Show of being radical leftists.

All you have to do is put your ear to the ground and eyes focused and you'll see trough all the boring bullshit candidates spew and see what people are really made of, even Obama's.

The posts so far sound like the liberal media's talking heads, analyzing the choice from a political perspective as opposed to what this country really needs.

The U.S. is in deep financial shit. Mitt has demonstrated the ability to handle a buck, and Paul Ryan has been one of very few in the legislative branch who has shown enough balls to stand up with actual budget proposals to deal with it. Even if you don't like some of the specifics, you have to admire that he's done that.

All we're getting from the Obama side is accusations that Romney is wealthy. As if that were some kind of crime rather than a demonstration of skill. That's fine if Obama comes across as the "guy fighting against the privileged rich". Quite frankly, I don't want some raggedy protester in charge. I want somebody who knows what they hell they're doing!

I'm getting old, and I don't have a lot of money. Changes to social security, etc. will hit me a lot sooner than most of you, but I know enough about finance and economics to see that another 4 years of the current administration could well take down the whole house of cards. Then we're all screwed, regardless.

The electoral map has always been favorable to Obama and by FiveThirtyEight's numbers, Obama has been cruising to a not-landslide-but-still-decisive victory. Romney's careful "don't talk about the issues, just keep trying to make this a referendum on the Obama economy" has been slowly losing ground over the summer, and short of a huge change in the status quo like really bad jobs numbers or a collapse in Europe, was looking more and more like a losing strategy.

So, Romney has decided to take a gamble by picking an exciting and polarizing figure and shifting strategy to one that talks about the issues more. I would say that since the gamble has a chance to swing the needle a bit either way, the odds of a Romney victory probably increased slightly, but so did the odds of an Obama landslide if the bet goes bad.

Perhaps more importantly, the extremist platform of the modern GOP is now inextricably tied to Romney's success or failure in this election. If he loses, it's going to be a much clearer indictment of the party at large than just Romney as a candidate. Going for a game change is probably wise from the standpoint of doing everything to win this race, but the trade-off is betting the farm on race that Obama is still going to be favored to win anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    ...Paul Ryan has been one of very few in the legislative branch who has shown enough balls to stand up with actual budget proposals to deal with it. Even if you don't like some of the specifics, you have to admire that he's done that.
    lol no. Paul Ryan's budgets are more mathematically impossible and full of even more magic asterisks than Romney's existing plans. There is nothing admirable/bold/courageous about saying, "Here's large tax cuts, and we're going to pay for them with a magical 2.8% unemployment rate and holding health care cost growth to inflation by unspecified magic."
    Last edited by Fruitkitty; 12-Aug-2012 at 13:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    The posts so far sound like the liberal media's talking heads, analyzing the choice from a political perspective as opposed to what this country really needs.

The U.S. is in deep financial shit. Mitt has demonstrated the ability to handle a buck, and Paul Ryan has been one of very few in the legislative branch who has shown enough balls to stand up with actual budget proposals to deal with it. Even if you don't like some of the specifics, you have to admire that he's done that.

All we're getting from the Obama side is accusations that Romney is wealthy. As if that were some kind of crime rather than a demonstration of skill. That's fine if Obama comes across as the "guy fighting against the privileged rich". Quite frankly, I don't want some raggedy protester in charge. I want somebody who knows what they hell they're doing!

I'm getting old, and I don't have a lot of money. Changes to social security, etc. will hit me a lot sooner than most of you, but I know enough about finance and economics to see that another 4 years of the current administration could well take down the whole house of cards. Then we're all screwed, regardless.
    Well the country has been improving economic wise under Obama if your arguing about jobs and all that type of stuff.

If your arguing about cutting the US debt down. Well I will bet you ever single cent I will ever earn in my life that Mitt and his office will only raise the debt further as every administration has done since I've been alive. A president will not get US debt down to 0.00 in 4 or 8 years. Especially not one who's so willing to fiance the military further into more forgin affairs if not wars.

Anyways as republicans/conservatives should you and me be egging on the destruction of social security and every other entitlement program? Frankly I think a government run system for people to retire on is a horrendous idea especially one that's always been forecast to run out of money by both sides of the aisle.

Plus if you want to bitch about obama's side just attacking Romney, take a look at all the ad's romney has out. Every one of them that i've seen is nothing but attack, after attack. John Kerry Lost to G.W. Bush because he said he had a plan, but never told anyone the plan. which is exactly what mitt's been doing.

Also do you think no one is republican unless they listen to Fox News?