Thread: The Rest of Your Life

Question The Rest of Your Life

Hello everybody.
    I'm 18 about to be 19 and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my life. I'm in a very complex life situation that would need some explaining.(long story) Basically, I'm in Mexico fixing to get a decent job but I know that I want to go to college and major in something (maybe music) and something else. I really don't know if I should stay long here or go back to the U.S. (again, long story)I just really want to know what I should or really will want.
    I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever been so undecisive about one's life and if so, what made you choose what you were going to do?
    Last edited by davetheodore; 09-Aug-2012 at 06:37.

Take it away Donnie Darko!

Donnie Darko Speaking Out Against Jim Cunningham [HD] - YouTube

Anyways it's true no one knows what they want to do, they just end up "doing". A good movie to watch would be good Will Hunting I suppose since it deals a lot with not knowing what you want.

I'm in my late twenties, and am still struggling to get "on track"; I've been very unwell and in life "limbo" for a number of years (so I reckon I ought to be as sorted as someone in their early twenties...), and am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel, but still have only ideas about what I will do, rather than a solid plan...
    The way I see it, regardless of what I will end up doing, I need now to be focussing on things that will allow me to move in positive directions regardless of whether that proves to be exactly the direction I end up taking. It felt for a long time like not knowing what I wanted to do was preventing me from making any progress, but there are plenty of things one can do which will help in life regardless of which direction one ends up taking longer term...
    Volunteering or work experience will help even if it is following interests that you will never turn into a career (good on CV and might help give you ideas); doing a 'menial' job for money both earns some cash and keeps you busy and occupied; studying will allow you to follow interests, develop one's skills, and add to one's CV... Just don't get caught feeling perfectionistic and like you need to be doing exactly the right thing or nothing at all.
    I know many people (both younger and older than myself) who've no idea what they want to do, but are getting on with life nevertheless.

I'm sorry that I've no solid advice, but rest assured that in feeling slightly aimless you're joining quite a large proportion of the world's population, and others seem to be muddling on OK; just because others are getting on with jobs/studies etc. doesn't mean that they've got it sussed, or are doing what they want to do. You're not alone in feeling like that.

I'm really lucky. I've got a carpentry apprenticeship set up for when I finish my education. That will set me up with qualifications and three years experince in the job.