Thread: just looking for some advice on depression

Default just looking for some advice on depression

i have been really depressed lately and i dont know what to do anymore i have not been on adisc in a while and i haven't been up to doing other things that i usually like doing i am getting really worried that this is going to get more severe with time.

i havnt been able to sleep or eat right and i even lost my job

please does anybody have any advice on how i can be more happy
    Last edited by littlebear1223; 08-Aug-2012 at 20:04.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebear1223 View Post
    i have been really depressed lately and i dont know what to do anymore i have not been on adisc in a while and i haven't been up to doing other things that i usually like doing i am getting really worried that this is going to get more severe with time.

i havnt been able to sleep or eat right and i even lost my job

please does anybody have any advice on how i can be more happy
    I know how you feel! I too have battled depression on and off for years and at times I wanted to end it all. It is a hard battle to fight. You don't have to feel this way though.

first off, don't think about what's making you depressed... think of something else, heck daydream if you have to make up a little world of your own inside your head and make it your own. Watch a funny, or cute movie. That will help keep the stuff causing the depression off your mind.

Also talk to people, socialize with friends and family (If you have them, if not you can talk to me) Talking can really help fend off depression, tell them your worries and your fears, sometimes friends and family can lend an ear and give advice or consoling.

Another thing you can do is read a book! I love reading if I feel sad... and even if you are not in the mood read at least 2 pages to absorb it, then you may get into it then. Getting your mind off of the stuff bothering you is the best thing to do.. reading is a good way to do this too because you can become part of the book!

You can also watch TV, and eat a snack you love the most, comfort food is best.. especially something from a happy time or makes you smile.

Playing games help too... even scary games. Games do the same as books... you concentrate more on the game than what is on your mind.

The most important thing is to remember that tomorrow is a brand new day.. you don't know what will happen. Also remember you are special! No matter what has happened, you are special in your own way!

If you want to talk you can always talk to me!

If you have the means get yourself a cat, talk with your local Humane society to try and find a breed of cat that likes lots of human contact and you'll help a cat that needs a home. I suggest this because it has been found that cats can help those with depression, petting a cat has been found to help people that have things like high stress levels, depression, and even helps to lower blood presser.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnBabygurl View Post
    I know how you feel! I too have battled depression on and off for years and at times I wanted to end it all. It is a hard battle to fight. You don't have to feel this way though.

first off, don't think about what's making you depressed... think of something else, heck daydream if you have to make up a little world of your own inside your head and make it your own. Watch a funny, or cute movie. That will help keep the stuff causing the depression off your mind.

Also talk to people, socialize with friends and family (If you have them, if not you can talk to me) Talking can really help fend off depression, tell them your worries and your fears, sometimes friends and family can lend an ear and give advice or consoling.

Another thing you can do is read a book! I love reading if I feel sad... and even if you are not in the mood read at least 2 pages to absorb it, then you may get into it then. Getting your mind off of the stuff bothering you is the best thing to do.. reading is a good way to do this too because you can become part of the book!

You can also watch TV, and eat a snack you love the most, comfort food is best.. especially something from a happy time or makes you smile.

Playing games help too... even scary games. Games do the same as books... you concentrate more on the game than what is on your mind.

The most important thing is to remember that tomorrow is a brand new day.. you don't know what will happen. Also remember you are special! No matter what has happened, you are special in your own way!

If you want to talk you can always talk to me!
    thank you so much for caring i appreciate you help i just have kept it bottled up so long i had to get it out i dont even like talking about my problems to friends or family any more because everyone just has there ways of getting around the topic nobody wants to talk about it with me.

i think you are very right by the way i just need to stop thinking about all my problems and worry about keeping the right mindset

thanks for the help i think i am good now i had just had a bad depression when i posted this so i probably shouldnt have brought up the topic but i am kinda glad to have gotten it of my chest

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HuttDestroyer View Post
    If you have the means get yourself a cat, talk with your local Humane society to try and find a breed of cat that likes lots of human contact and you'll help a cat that needs a home. I suggest this because it has been found that cats can help those with depression, petting a cat has been found to help people that have things like high stress levels, depression, and even helps to lower blood presser.
    thats a great idea thanks
    Last edited by Trevor; 18-Aug-2012 at 00:34. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

Exercising helps. I don't know where I read it, but somewhere I read an article about a study done that said, in the long run, exercising helps more for depression than even medications (anti-depressants, etc). So daily exercise would help. For me personally, it really needs to be strenuous though. Something like running (I run a short distance, then walk, then run, etc). Obviously you need to be careful and not overexert yourself.

For me, I've noticed that cold showers can really help too. Contrast showers are supposedly the healthiest though. Basically, you keep the water hot/warm for anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes, and then turn to cold for the same amount of time. Keep switching back and forth like this as you wash up and remember to end on cold.

Sometimes writing can help too--keeping a journal and writing about how you feel, etc.

AnnBabygurl has already suggested everything else that I can think of.

Have you gone to your doctor? Not being able to eat or sleep and having lost your job all point to you having a very high level of depression. While there are lots of good suggestions here, I really feel like it would be a good idea for you to talk to a medical professional. Depression is a mental illness, and just like any other illness, it is very likely that it won't go away without medical intervention. Things like anti-depressants or therapy could really help you, and your doctor is the best first step.

I'm sorry things are so bad for you right now. I have Clinical Depression and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and have had to drop out of college and uni because of these problems. I'm currently unemployed and I feel pretty hopeless right now. Depression is a horrible illness, and it drains all your mental and physical reserves, all your belief in yourself, and so much of your courage. Sometimes I find it hard to believe it can get better, but it really CAN get better. You just may need some help to get you there.

Things I find helpful:
    1. Get outside every day even if you don't feel like it.
    2. Shower at least three times a week.
    3. Try to eat little meals often--I never want to eat but I make myself have something around four times a day, even if it's only a piece of fruit or a yoghurt. That's better than nothing.
    4. Sleep hygiene: Twelve Simple Tips to Improve Your Sleep | Healthy Sleep
    5. When you're in the depths of depression this might be really tough, but I've found volunteering a big help. It makes you part of something outside of yourself, and you can do it one or two afternoons a week, so it's not a huge commitment like work. I've enjoyed volunteering with animals the most.
    6. Try to keep up with friends even if you feel completely anti-social. Or at least talk to people online.
    7. Be kind to yourself. The depression makes you feel like you're a horrible person, but you're not and there's no reason to treat yourself like one.