Thread: Anybody else have a betta fish?

Default Anybody else have a betta fish?

I quite enjoy them, myself

I love how much they are capable of. Mine is currently learning how to jump out of the water and grab food about an inch above the surface. It's incredibly amusing to watch.

My betta is very aggressive though. He flares at almost everything. Hmm, just the nature of the beast I guess.

I keep him in a filtered/ heated 5 gal. aquarium and he seems very happy there. I recently got some driftwood off of a local beach that I am curing so it can be used in my aquarium.

So, anybody else have a betta fish friend?

-Ron

My daughter has one....his name is Sir Gillfinn the Third. He is, as my daughter puts it, a lover not a fighter! When we put a mirror next to his tank he just looked in it, turned his back and swam away. He does occasionally 'flare' his fins a little bit (not fully) at a couple of the guppies (males, of course) LOL He's so docile, sometimes it's easy to forget he's a betta!

Quote Originally Posted by ayanna View Post
    My daughter has one....his name is Sir Gillfinn the Third. He is, as my daughter puts it, a lover not a fighter! When we put a mirror next to his tank he just looked in it, turned his back and swam away. He does occasionally 'flare' his fins a little bit (not fully) at a couple of the guppies (males, of course) LOL He's so docile, sometimes it's easy to forget he's a betta!
    My betta is named Nigel, and my previous one was named Jackie two fins. I find them to be amusing to watch, and aggressive as Nigel is, I showed him a reflection of himself and he quickly swam away and hid in his house. I guess he's all bark and no bite :p He does flare his fins a lot though. Even if I'm just looking in his tank... he must be plotting something..

-Ron

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Ronbeast; 06-Aug-2012 at 19:45. Reason: Double post

RoleModel

Siamese fighting fish* for those not dumming down the coversation to a baby level

Quote Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
    Siamese fighting fish* for those not dumming down the coversation to a baby level
    Siamese fighting fish and betta fish are both interchangeable terms, anybody who knows how to use Google would realize that if they were really that interested in knowing. Plus, Siamese fighting fish is the name that was laid on the fish, the scientific name is Betta Splendens.

-Ron

My dad has one with a small frog and fiddler crabs they don't fight

Interesting to see that they apparently do stuff! The only Betta fish I've seen were kept in the little cups you purchase them in, and they just kinda...floated there. Not doing anything. I used to think they were really boring, until I read this thread. So, thanks! Now I'm kinda curious about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast View Post
    My betta is named Nigel, and my previous one was named Jackie two fins. I find them to be amusing to watch, and aggressive as Nigel is, I showed him a reflection of himself and he quickly swam away and hid in his house. I guess he's all bark and no bite :p He does flare his fins a lot though. Even if I'm just looking in his tank... he must be plotting something..
    Hahaha I'm not sure which name I like better...Nigel or Jackie Two Fins. Both are awesome names. And I wonder if it's because they look larger in a mirror or something? And he is probably plotting to take over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
    Actually calling them Siamese Fighting Fish is "dumbing down" the conversation, since, as has already been pointed out, their proper scientific name is Betta Splendens, classification "Betta".

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmon View Post
    My dad has one with a small frog and fiddler crabs they don't fight

They actually only fight each other, and that is only the males. The much less decorative females don't 'fight' at all. You will know if you Betta is happy if he builds bubble nests on the top of the bowl/aquarium. They will attack other fish, if they have 'fancy fins' (such as fancy fin goldfish), which is why they are usually kept in a bowl by themselves. However, they can live quite amicably with other fish and sea-creatures. Sir Gillfinn the Third lives in an aquarium with 3 white cloud minnows and (more recently) 8 guppies. While a Betta can live in a tank with the smaller communal fish, like tetras, it's not recommended as the tetras can be rather 'nippy' and will nip the fins of the Betta.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbabsie View Post
    Interesting to see that they apparently do stuff! The only Betta fish I've seen were kept in the little cups you purchase them in, and they just kinda...floated there. Not doing anything. I used to think they were really boring, until I read this thread. So, thanks! Now I'm kinda curious about them.

You should get one...they only cost 3-5$ usually...and will survive for ages. They are more active if you put them in a bigger bowl or aquarium, obviously there's not much to do in those little cups except just float there. As I indicated above, a happy male Betta will build bubble nests on the top of the water in his bowl/aquarium, even if he is sharing with other critters. It IS possible to breed Bettas if you put a female in when the male has built a nice size nest.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbabsie View Post
    They are actually very active little guys when given the right conditions, I've had betta's that have lived for more than 4 years if they are well taken care of. Also, they are some of the smarter hobby fish. Some have been trained to swim/jump through hoops etc. They are also extremely hardy and easy to take care of.

All-in-all , they make great pets. My very first pet (When I was 3) was a blue betta named Jack. He was a great fish.

-Ron

- - - Updated - - -

I just bought a really big aquarium for $1... Not quite sure what I'm going to do with it. While I'd like to put Nigel in it, it seems like it would be unmanageable for me due to the fact that I am returning to college in a few weeks. Hmm. I only bought the tank for the decorations that came with it (Sunken ship!!) . Ahh well, I think I'll sell the tank and keep the decorum. Seems like a good idea? No?

-Ron
    Last edited by Trevor; 11-Aug-2012 at 22:25. Reason: merging posts.

OMG I used to breed fish for a living (not with naughties) and mainly Australian and Papua New Guinea Rainbow Fish, Cichlids and Cory cats and always though bettas males were boring sooky fragile critters until they were absolutely brutally horrible to the females of the species.

Reading that they can jump out of the water is breakthrough for me, now I might have to have a look into this for my little one who would love to keep fish (since I am long out of it and generally don't like the thought of looking after pets.)