Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old School Baby Gear Collectables

Smile Old School Baby Gear Collectables

Pamperchu, here's the two car seats I have. Both date to the 1960s and are the old hook over the front seat style. I think the blue one is a bit newer having a built in head restraint.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, the plushies on top the sofa belong to our kids.

~Pramrider

pamperchu

I love them so much! I would love to find one like the blue one. You are very luck to have them. How did you get them?

I found the blue one on craigslist and the seller was willing to ship it, which is rare for CL sellers. The white one was on ebay a couple weeks back for a ridiculous $25 BIN price. I quick hit the button! Some of the edging on the crotch strap is missing and the chrome plating needs polishing up here and there, but those things can be easily taken care of. The blue one is in mint condition. Neither one has any torn or split vinyl on the seats which is remarkable for being around 45 years old.

I can actually fit in them with the front bar down in front of me and strap hooked up to it, although the blue one is about 1" wider and easier to get into out of the two.

EDIT: Here's another old seat just listed on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Antique-...item4606796b48

~Pramrider
    Last edited by Pramrider; 06-Aug-2012 at 17:44.

That's pretty neat. I didn't even know they had car-seats back in the 60's. I didn't think they became a real thing until the 90s.

Until the last year or so, I thought the 1950s was the earliest period when car seats were used. Another little boy in my kindergarten class back in 1955 used to ride in one nearly identical this - Dennis Mitchell Fold Up Car Seat w orig box - I 1950s | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - though my family didn't have a car at the time and neither I nor my older sisters ever rode in one. I've since learned and seen there were car seats, or at least some form of attachable baby carrier for cars, going back much earlier in the century. In fact, I read yesterday a child carrier was developed as early as 1898 which was more like a sack with a drawstring attached to the seat to hold the child in place. Most cars at the time didn't go that fast, so child safety wasn't a high priority.

~Pramrider
    Last edited by Pramrider; 07-Aug-2012 at 21:16.

Pramrider! I remember all of those old car seats! These are the first I have seen in years, good show.

bn3baby

Quote Originally Posted by bn3baby View Post
    Pramrider! I remember all of those old car seats! These are the first I have seen in years, good show.

bn3baby

Yep, I see you're right up there with me in the same age group. You've got a few years on me, so you probably have a better memory of them than I do. Wish I could go back and grab up some of these vintage car seats when they were still plentiful.

~Pramrider

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post
    Yep, I see you're right up there with me in the same age group. You've got a few years on me, so you probably have a better memory of them than I do. Wish I could go back and grab up some of these vintage car seats when they were still plentiful.

~Pramrider
    Pramrider! As we get into these higher numbers dose that say we would be called "senior" *TB's*? Cool!

bn3baby

i want the blue one - bring it round tonight!

i can only remember the hard booster seats, in the eighties sometime, in a friend's mum's car (a yummy-mummy of the time). such things were still new to us and the strangeness of it was made worse by my having to sit on it and getting a numb bum.
    american seats, though, look like luxury items.

great post, btw.