Thread: Depression, suicide and physical disabilities

Default Depression, suicide and physical disabilities

Hey so I was wondering if there are any others out there with physical disabilities who have experienced depression and suicidal feelings like I have? Do you ever find that you hate yourself just because of how helpless and powerless you feel? If you have felt as I do, do you start to feel better and then relapse deeper into depression? Do you hate how you look? Do you feel imprisoned in your own body?

I am sorry for your problems I already have suicidal thoughts, but I don't any physical problem, so I can't know what you are feeling.

You are not alone, I know how it feels.

I have physical disabilities and they are getting worse as time goes by and has for the past 9 years... it is very depressing and very disheartening. I have had thoughts of suicide before... but I just tell myself, tomorrow is a new day, I will do the best I can.

I am trying to get SSI but it is so very hard to do it and that alone is very depressing. I also have some other disabilities as well, so I know you feel.

Sometimes I don't like my body either, I am not skinny but, oh well I need to love myself!

I am sorry you are so depressed but can you explain your situation? Maybe I can help you. I have battled depression a lot and suicide!

I too suffer from a physical disability as well as slight mental disability. It's been difficult for me to get jobs and be able to communicate with others. I tend to communicate better in writing and job interviews and being active in large groups is something I've struggled with my whole life. I am currently on SSDI and am looking to get back to work so I can get off SSDI. It doesn't pay enough for me to support myself. I am limited on the types of jobs I can get due to my physical limitations. I used to focus on what I couldn't do and just made me feel down and depressed. Now I'm trying to focus on the strengths I have and seeing how I can use that to make it in the world. I sought help through my Vocational Rehabilitation office and they've helped me tremendously and helped me learn things about myself that I wouldn't otherwise have known. There are tons of people out there with disabilities and many of them I'm betting feel just like you do. Everyone has strengths and you're no exception. Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you'd like.