Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado shooting/debate

Default Colorado shooting/debate

I look forward to seeing everyone's response and hope we get people thinking here. I think it's great that Christian Bale visited Colorado. However, could these stars or production company not come up with a better show of support for these victims? I mean really?? They make millions of dollars due to all of our support to go see them! It sickens me to think of not only the loss families are suffering with but all the emotional issues to follow not including medical expenses! Yes medical expenses!! Cost of putting to rest their loved ones! Really..... Come on you self absorbed stars..... Oh wait I'm sorry they might volunteer their time to make a statement or hold a fund raiser and where us average citizens are asked to donate!

Quote Originally Posted by BambinoPants View Post
    I look forward to seeing everyone's response and hope we get people thinking here. I think it's great that Christian Bale visited Colorado. However, could these stars or production company not come up with a better show of support for these victims? I mean really?? They make millions of dollars due to all of our support to go see them! It sickens me to think of not only the loss families are suffering with but all the emotional issues to follow not including medical expenses! Yes medical expenses!! Cost of putting to rest their loved ones! Really..... Come on you self absorbed stars..... Oh wait I'm sorry they might volunteer their time to make a statement or hold a fund raiser and where us average citizens are asked to donate!
    Going to start with this Aurora Shooting Victims: No Medical Bills, Free Care, For Survivors At Some Colo. Hospitals (PHOTOS) Sure it would be nice for ALL the victims to get their medical bills payed, but sadly is not realistic.

Next I would like to say that the fact that Christian Bale showed up on his own accord and kept it under wraps to prevent a huge media presence is actually a very large show of support. But I don't expect him or anyone else from Hollywood to pay for anything. For all you know, the stars and production companies could have donated money. It is not publicly released if someone donates nor should it be, it should remain anonymous.

Wingdog... Thanks for the link I'm glad to see that they donated money and the hospital is wiping out bills. That is very nice to see that and hope it continues!!

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    Going to start with this Aurora Shooting Victims: No Medical Bills, Free Care, For Survivors At Some Colo. Hospitals (PHOTOS) Sure it would be nice for ALL the victims to get their medical bills payed, but sadly is not realistic.

Next I would like to say that the fact that Christian Bale showed up on his own accord and kept it under wraps to prevent a huge media presence is actually a very large show of support. But I don't expect him or anyone else from Hollywood to pay for anything. For all you know, the stars and production companies could have donated money. It is not publicly released if someone donates nor should it be, it should remain anonymous.
    Last edited by Trevor; 02-Aug-2012 at 07:13. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

In my opinion, the stars and producers of the film should not be obligated to show any sort of support regarding the shooting at all. The fact that it was at the batman movie is completely irrelevant. The movie stars or producers of the film shouldn't have to pay medical bills just because some psychopath shot up a movie theater during the Dark Knight Rises. It's like blaming Captain Crunch cereal because a madman decided to wear a Captain Crunch outfit while he went about torturing people.

With that said, I however do think that it is appropriate for the producers and movie stars alike to at least show sympathy or support via Twitter or some sort of media. I felt Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale in particular handled the situation very well. If anyone involved in the production of the movie decided to go the extra mile and hand money to the victims or visit Aurora, then bless their heart. But I don't think there should be any bitterness towards the film makers unless of course they completely ignored the tragedy... which they absolutely did not.

Agreeing with Wambles here, in a world where responsibility for one's actions is needed, responsibility shouldn't fall on anyone else's hands. Personally I think the man should (and he probably will) get life and all of his savings go to the victims health needs.

If it were realistic, sure, itd be great for injured patients to receive care expense-free. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that hospitals are clearing bills for Colorado shooting victims, but what about the rest of the public? Millions of people go through unfair loss every single day. A little girl gets shot in a drive by. A pregnant woman gets hit by a drunk driver and loses her baby as well as her 5-year old child. Cases like this are prominent all throughout the US, and yet, these people have to pay on their own. That woman will probably still have a deductible to pay for a new car, and not to mention the expenses to cover the costs of her child's funeral. That little girl will have to go through many hospital procedures, all at the cost of her parents. It's just the reality of things. Sure, it sucks. But this isn't a perfect world, and we have to pay for things that were are imminently out of our control.

Perhaps they could've merely changed the name/title of the movie (at first I considered that they should have cancelled it...but)...out of respect. I also found it a bit disturbing that in-between the newscasts...these stupid, glib commercials would come on. Would it not have been more appropriate, for the commercial spots (adverts) to instead have a message of condolence...a moment of silence, for the first day or two anyway?? I hope I didn't wander too off-topic!

Yes...life goes on, however...can we at least act for short periods...with a bit more respect and consideration?? Could you imagine...a marching band with clowns and advertisements tromping through a funeral, or wake??

p.s. I don't limit this consideration for just this event...

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    Yes...life goes on, however...can we at least act for short periods...with a bit more respect and consideration?? Could you imagine...a marching band with clowns and advertisements tromping through a funeral, or wake??
    There is already a marching band of clowns that go to funerals, they are called the Westboro Baptist Cult.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKayla View Post
    If it were realistic, sure, itd be great for injured patients to receive care expense-free.
    We have the NHS and although a portion of taxes go to pay for treatment it is almost entirely free, except for certain medication and cosmetic surgery there is no bill at the end, now I know this isn't a healthcare debate but it is possible for people to get treated without the possibility of bankruptcy.

There is no reason for those stars to pay for the bills of those who got shot, a nice gesture sure, but they're under no obligation to do so and even then you have to consider the cost to each of those guys. Yes they do have more money than the victims and it won't bankrupt them but I believe the care for one of them is over $2 million which is really damn significant so it's hardly fair to call them self absorbed for not bothering to pay for it. They've visited them and paid their condolences to those who died which is more than enough really, if they got special treatment then why should no one else get the same?

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    yeah it is... its really easy in fact and would be a win win for all the parites. it's called warner brothers paying for all the medical bills out of the kindness of their hearts. This franchise has made them a *LOT* of money, mostly in terms of profits. they don't have to do this, but it would be a amazing act upon their part rather then being only seen as a movie studio that only cares about money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    Perhaps they could've merely changed the name/title of the movie (at first I considered that they should have cancelled it...but)...out of respect. I also found it a bit disturbing that in-between the newscasts...these stupid, glib commercials would come on. Would it not have been more appropriate, for the commercial spots (adverts) to instead have a message of condolence...a moment of silence, for the first day or two anyway?? I hope I didn't wander too off-topic!

p.s. I don't limit this consideration for just this event...
    It shouldn't of been canceled I think because of one idiot wanting to kill people and im glad it wasn't. I saw it last Saturday in Imax and I thought the movie was great though otherwise a bit long. but canceling it would of achived nothing. WB didn't release the box office sales until Monday likely after the gun was arraigned out of respect to the victims. plus nolan and Bale both commenting and being clearly remorseful about the situation and Bale showing up to vist them was great. More then what denying millions of people seeing batman for another month or two would of done. plus the plot would of been leaked online and trolls would troll revealing the ending.