Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London 2012 Opening Ceremony

Default London 2012 Opening Ceremony

It was a few days ago now, but what did people think of the opening ceremony? Especially if you aren't British, there was a lot of our history in there that maybe non-British people wouldn't get.

I thought we did a great job, especially coming after Bejing, which was quite the standard to set, but I am slightly biased here

RoleModel

I thought it was amazing, really showed off the UK creative industries

I thought the Brits did a great job of keeping it real. Loved the faux Queen drop and the rugby tries on the big screen for each of the four.

RoleModel

Inside Joke: Interpreting the Olympic opening ceremony’s trove of quirky British references - The Washington Post

This is a pretty decent translation of the event for people who don't look out side their own culture daily and thus "dont get it"

I didn't watch it at all. From what i heard it wasn't nearly as impressive as the 2008 opening. of course, since the UK doesn't really have slaves or slave like people its kinda hard to beat china isn't it?

RoleModel

You can't really comment unless you watch it can you? it's like saying pizza sucks when u've never eaten it

Quote Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
    You can't really comment unless you watch it can you? it's like saying pizza sucks when u've never eaten it
    Yeah, you can. Seeing as how I already have. I might not of watched it, but I've seen clips of it and news stories about it and honestly it does not sound that impressive.

another example I hate the god father movies. Have I watched them, of course not. I just know right off the bat some things I will never like and the 2012 openings are and likely always will be one of those things. Likely since the only British thinks I really care for are are Fish N' Chips and I guess maybe charliepup. (in that order.)

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBear View Post
    It was a few days ago now, but what did people think of the opening ceremony? Especially if you aren't British, there was a lot of our history in there that maybe non-British people wouldn't get.
    I liked when they forged the One Ring. Which in the darkness bound the others.
    Last edited by Trevor; 05-Aug-2012 at 01:04. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

its was awsome all the music i think personally it wwas better then bejing in the intricacies and stuff and it made more sence then bejing did because it had stuff that the us can relate to like the teens texting and the nightmares of all the british villans and then marypoppins saving the kids i mean that is what we grew up reading and i thought the waynes world head banging was cool to (bohemian rhapsody) because i grew up with that.

FairyCakes

I thought it was weird. >.> Especially the part towards the beginning of the history, where they were just settling. The only part I really liked was the parade and the forging. The queen looked unhappy. Does she ever smile? O.o Every time I've seen her, she's got this bored or unhappy look.