Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Guitarists

Default Favourite Guitarists

I've been thinking of posting this for a while now and have finally gotten around to it. Pretty much I'm just wondering who peoples' favourite guitarists are. Simple enough!

For me, my top 13 in no order (because I can't pick just one) would be Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, David Gilmour, The Edge, Keith Richards, Mark Knopfler, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, George Harrison, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Mayer and Jonny Greenwood.

Some other favourites of mine are Lou Reed, Bruce Cockburn, Bob Dylan, Santana, Jack White, Dave Davies, Eric Johnson, Robbie Robertson, Albert Hammond Jr. and John Fogerty. That's a very broad overview. So who are some of your favourite guitarists?

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bernard Sumner, Jimmy Hendrix, Slash, Lou Reed, Bob Dylan.

The list reaches approximately 100, in no particular order, but I thought I'd post the several fist that came to mind.

Butterfly Mage

My favorite guitarist of all time was Michael Hedges. He had this neat-o thing called a harp-guitar. It had twelve strings of regular guitar but then it also had an additional six strings that branched out to the side of the instrument. the result is that it functioned as a regular guitar and a bass guitar at the same time.

I had heard that he died in a motorcycle accident sometime in the late 1990s. That was pretty sad since he was VERY talented.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    My favorite guitarist of all time was Michael Hedges. He had this neat-o thing called a harp-guitar. It had twelve strings of regular guitar but then it also had an additional six strings that branched out to the side of the instrument. the result is that it functioned as a regular guitar and a bass guitar at the same time.

I had heard that he died in a motorcycle accident sometime in the late 1990s. That was pretty sad since he was VERY talented.
    Michael Hedges is another brilliant guitarist. I've heard him referred to as the Jimi Hendrix of acoustic guitar and after listening to some of his stuff, his skills certainly warrant it.

MY personal favorites (just an opinion)

1. Jimmy Page
    2. Jimi Hendrix
    3. Eric Clapton
    4. Tim Reynolds
    5. Stevie Ray Vaghn

I'd have to say: John Frusciante of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Slash of Guns N' Roses, Eddie Van Halen of Van Halen, Zakk Wylde of Black Label Society, Angus Young of AC/DC, John Petrucci of Dream Theater, Dimebag Darrel of Pantera, Joe Satriani, Michael Angelo Batio, and Yngwie Malmsteen.

I just find all these guys amazing, and I love all the bands/solo work they make.

nobody's mentioned perry farrel yet. he definitely makes my list.

as far as acoustic guitarists are concerned, michael hedges is talented but i've always found his music incredibly boring. if you're interested in some really badass guitar playing check out leo kottke. that man can make a 12-string sound like the world crumbling around your ears.

ani difranco
    is someone else who can really tear it up on an acoustic guitar in a way i could never even imagine immitating.