Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "African Americans"

Default "African Americans"

I am just curious, there are currently 4,365 active members in ADISC. It's 2012 and I have seen a lot more "African Americans" appearing in the AB/DL community over the years than in say, 1997. Besides myself, how many other members are here in ADISC?

Isn't it more comprehensive to ask how many ADISC members have African ethnicity, since I'm sure there's plenty of black ABDLs that don't live in America. Perhap even open up the question to Aboriginals too...

Actually, I was just trying to be PC for ADISC and seeing as though I am from the US, I apologise. Personally, I'm not one for lables, as I don't care for "n&%$#", "colored" or "black." I mean really? My skin is brown; the only thing black on me is my hair. Funny thing is, and not that it matters, but I bet most have never seen an actual "black" skinned person.

Quote Originally Posted by Rissy View Post
    Isn't it more comprehensive to ask how many ADISC members have African ethnicity, since I'm sure there's plenty of black ABDLs that don't live in America. Perhap even open up the question to Aboriginals too...
    There are plenty of black people that aren't from Africa as well though, Afro-Caribbeans for example.

When people say "African Americans", do they mean people with dual-citizenship (i.e. an African passport and an American one) or do they mean black American... or just black person... Is it anything to do with nationality at all or just skin colour?

Sorry if that's a dumb question...

A better idea. Mybe have a type of Poll. Where it shows What race each person is. So it can help everyone not just African Americans

@tiny as far as i know African American mean that person is American citizen with African heritage not they have two citizenship (and as far as i know only Israel that allow two citizenship).

Oh yeah about using bla*k as a word to describe people i think is inapropriate for today(it's not 1940s) and i fell the same when people say Asian as yell*w i mean i see many Asian people Japan,Korea,Malaysia,Vietnam,Thailand,India,Pakist an and i have never see an Asian have a yell*w skin so why they still use the word?

Yeah i'm wondering about race in ADISC since i think i'm the only active Asian in here.

"African American" as far as I've always come to understand, is just the politically correct way (in America) for describing a black person. Where I’m from, we just call black people, “black people.” My curiosity to find out just how many members on ADISC are black simply comes from A: The large number of people who make up the ADISC community, and B: How far we have come as being open to others and not being afraid to admit we aren’t perfect. I grew up thinking “image is everything”, therefore no matter where you go and what you do, you have to look “perfect” or “flawless” because, although if you were poor; if you actually “looked” poor, then you got picked on for it. We always talked about being “real”, and yet I believe us as a “black community” to put on the biggest misrepresentations I’ve ever seen. I’m not saying all of this to bad mouth my kind, heck, I’m guilty of it too and I’d be the first to admit it. I’m just saying, I’m happy that in 2012, there are quite a few of us who can be true to ourselves, not so much in AB/DL, but about life in general. Also, once and for all, to realize “the crazy white people”, (what we used to call Caucasians doing things we would never admit to, out in the open) are down to earth and just as human and “NORMAL” as anyone else. Last but not least, I don’t believe in “dumb questions”, we ask questions no matter how simple they are, for the fact of the matter, we just don’t know. Probably a little long-winded than I’d originally planned, but I hope this helps and I hope I didn’t offend anyone.

Astra

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    When people say "African Americans", do they mean people with dual-citizenship (i.e. an African passport and an American one) or do they mean black American... or just black person... Is it anything to do with nationality at all or just skin colour?

Sorry if that's a dumb question...
    "African Americans" generally refers to blacks who were born in America. It could also refer to people who have dual citizenship with the United States and an African country, but that's not the typical usage. Most of the time, "African American" is meant as a synonym for "black American."

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    A better idea. Mybe have a type of Poll. Where it shows What race each person is. So it can help everyone not just African Americans
    That is a great idea, unfortunately, I’m still pretty new to the site and I have no idea how to put one in place.