Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diaper Size Chart: I need your help

Default Diaper Size Chart: I need your help

Bitesize: an all purpose Adult baby diaper size chart, that's the aim anyway want to help read down

I've been thinking for some time about people's continual questions of will X diaper fit Y size person comfortably and actually I'm curious about the whole thing myself, having only tried 2 brands and with very little money to waste experimenting I thought I might turn to wasting my spare time to finding out the answers (hopefully enough for everyone).

Anyway I'm going to come up against a number of problems if I tried to do this all on my own, I can only test for my height and waist size and since the second is constantly changing I guess I could get fill in a rather large array for my height and different diapers, still not everyone is my height. There's the money problem, I really can't afford to do it. And Finally I don't get a lot of free time to get seriously padded at the moment so actually doing it would take a very long time.

The solution is simple, we're all here, most of us wear something occasionally some wear far more often, and some people like to try a lot of different diapers. So if as many people as we can muster take part and contribute something, frequently if they can, then I might be able to build a fairly substantial table pretty quickly, and if/when I get enough good quality data then I could produce some size charts to make looking things up easy.

I need to crowed source the data, which means if you contribute it makes the whole thing A come together quicker and B more accurate for people like you so they're likely to feed their information back in too. I'd like for everyone to be as accurate as they can when they do this, so no "I wore diaper X a week/month/year ago and I've been about a Y inch waist forever and was about Z feet tall", I'd prefer it if you submit the information below while wearing the diaper or shortly after getting out of it and measuring yourself each time, I know it's a hassle but I want to get this as right as we can.

To make this job as easy as you can for me please include as much of the following, I will definitely need the diaper brand, model and size as well as your height and waist measurements

The Form

The Diaper
    Diaper Brand/Manufacturer: (Abena, Huggies, Pampers, Tena, Cuddlz, Bambino, etc..)
    Diaper Model: (AbriFlex, AbriForm, Drynites, Pull-ups, UnderJams, etc..)
    Date: (month and year if you can so I can keep things up to date ish cause Diapers are 'improved upon' over time)
    Size: (so the Diaper's size S, M, L, XL, 6+, 7 etc.. and the intended target size, 25lb+, <40lb, 5-8yo, 9-14yo, 24-32ins, 30-42ins etc)
    Notes: (are they gender specific, have you modified them at all, anything you feel is relevant that has been missed off, etc..)

Your Measurements (in metric if possible or to the nearest 1/2inch)
    Waist Size:
    Height:

Rating (out of 5, where 5 is what we consider good, and these are in your opinion, so there is no need to justify what you put)
    Does it fit: (yes/no)
    Comfort:
    Absorbency:
    Doesn't Leak Easily:
    Value for money:
    Would you recommend to others:
    Overall Rating:

This has been attempted before by itsme but I think the biggest problem was the thread died in a few days so people never contributed to the form, with any luck people posting data will keep this alive for a long while

What I intend to do once I have enough data is try to plot diapers as coloured blobs (probably on multiple graphs) which show the sizes that we know fit (or I guess probably will fit given what I've been told) on graphs which show both height and waist size, like scatter-graphs, I may even end up hand drawing some of it if that works better. And have some accompanying statistics so if you've got a choice of diapers for a size you'll be able to judge what you'd prefer.

With any luck this time next week, (or during the following week depending on work), I might have some small table from the real data you've given me so I can show you what I mean ^_^

Thank you all in advance for your help and support.
    Last edited by DylanK; 30-Jul-2012 at 13:07.

Quote Originally Posted by DylanK View Post
    Thank you all in advance for your help and support.
    Sure thing. I have quite a bit of baby diaper data, photos, etc. I'll organize the most up-to-date stuff and post it later this evening. Just a note on baby diapers in general: The waist sizes probably aren't too interesting, and "fit" is very subjective. For these diapers, simple measurements of the diapers when stretched to maximum length (always a definite thing) may be the best and least contentious way to go. If people want to add notes to these like, "I have a 38" waist / 44" hips and was just able to squeeze in," that would be more helpful than opinion about what the maximum adult waist size should be.

IMO.

More soon. Great idea!

EDIT: Looks like it probably won't be tonight. We had friends over for dinner, and they only just left. I'll try again tomorrow.
    Last edited by Cottontail; 30-Jul-2012 at 06:00.

Thanks CottonTail. I know what you mean, I'm going to leave some wiggle room from what I've been told, after all I don't want to get sued for saying something will fit and in reality it doesn't. I'm going to use a little bit of common sense too, say someone has an 8 inches bigger waist than a group of people who put comfort as 2 or 3 and they're telling me they're wearing unmodded with comfort of 5 I might disregard it as an outlier, it's part of the reason why I put in the highly subjective rating system at the en. At 36ins waist I fit into goodnites, but I modded and it was a tight squeeze, it was uncomfy and leaky, I'd never recommend it to anyone, but I know technically people that big could fit in, those things will tell me as much as a wordy description if it's genuine or a near miss or miles off.

I also think you need the leg size as I have found that it is the deal breaker whether I can fit the Mediums or have to go with large.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DylanK View Post

The Form

The Diaper
    Diaper Brand:Goodnights
    Diaper Model: Underware
    Date: 2012
    Size: L/XL 125lb+
    Notes: Boys, unmoded,I pre-strech them and am careful puling them up.

Waist Size: 37''
    Height: 5'6''
    leg size: 28''
    Rating (out of 5, where 5 is what we consider good, and these are in your opinion, so there is no need to justify what you put)
    Does it fit: (yes/no) Yes
    Comfort: 3/5 a bit tight on the boys/stuff
    Absorbency: 3/5
    Doesn't Leak Easily: 2/5 at my size the elastic tends to strech out
    Value for money: 4/5
    Would you recommend to others: 5/5
    Overall Rating: 3/5

Here is one of my entries.

I'm not sure what you mean by leg size

The brand/manufacturer is Huggies, the model is Goodnites Underwear

Well I hope this info helps, wrote down most of the diapers I have tried out for my size and how they work.

Since Its one person lets go with this:
    Noodle's Measurements
    Waist Size: 25-26"
    Height: 5'3

The Formz (Kitties use z)

The Diaper
    Diaper Brand/Manufacturer: Huggies
    Diaper Model: Goodnites
    Date: 7/30/2012
    Size: S/M
    Notes: These are the boy ones so the padding that is used to absorb waste is in the front rather than the bottom like girl diapers. Unmodded

Rating: 4/5
    Does it fit: Yes
    Comfort: 5/5
    Absorbency: 4/5
    Doesn't Leak Easily: Leaks Easily
    Value for money: $1.00 per diaper/ $15.00 for 15 pack
    Would you recommend to others: Yes
    Overall Rating: 8/10
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX

The Diaper(2)
    Diaper Model: Slip-Ons
    Date: 7/12
    Size: 5
    Notes: Max size for these are Size 5 meaning these are meant for very small members. Unmodded

Comfort: 3/5
    Doesn't Leak Easily: No
    Value for money: $0.40 per diaper / $20 for 50 pack
    Would you recommend to others: No to most members
    Overall Rating: 7/10

The Diaper(3)
    Diaper Brand/Manufacturer: P&G
    Diaper Model: Luvs
    Size: 6
    Notes: Not gender specific, tapes or the area of the diaper holding the tapes can possibly fall off. Unmodded

Comfort: 5/5
    Value for money: $0.50 per diaper

The Diaper(4)
    Diaper Model: Pull-Ups
    Size: 3T/4T
    Notes: These are gender specific meaning the padding which absorbs differs for boys and girls. Unmodded

Comfort: 4/5
    Absorbency: 3/5
    Doesn't Leak Easily: Yes, the diaper does leak easily
    Value for money: $0.45 per diaper
    Would you recommend to others: No/Yes depending
    Overall Rating: 7/10

The Diaper(5)
    Diaper Brand/Manufacturer: Pampers
    Diaper Model: Cruisers
    Size: 6
    Notes: Unmodded

Comfort: 4/5
    Value for money: $0.23 per diaper
    I will try to write some more of these for the other diapers I have tried so for now here is this little chunk. Yes.....

Ok. Sorry for breaking with the requested format here, but I'm going to be as objective as possible to avoid the usual challenges of describing the "fit" of baby diapers. I also added a few more data here, e.g., "Country" (because the definition of baby diaper sizes varies by country).

My Dimensions

Height: 1.88m
    Weight: 108kg
    Waist: 96cm
    Hips/Butt: 112cm (more relevant for low-riding baby diapers)
    Leg Circumference at Groin: 68cm
    Rise Waist-to-Waist Through Crotch: 66cm

Measurement Method

Diapers were opened up (if necessary on pull-ups, by carefully peeling apart the side seams), stretched to maximum length, and taped flat to a tabletop. Elastics on the wings/tapes were not stretched at all and were measured at rest. Basically, the goal was just to have the diaper completely flat. For some diapers, I've kept track of the typical range of the tapes when stretched, and I included those figures as well, though they'll vary from package to package. I have not attempted to measure the stretchiness of the tapes on Huggies, except to the extent necessary to determine that they're not stretchy enough for me.

The "Needs Mod?" column is yes/no according to whether I can fasten or pull-up the diaper (regardless of tightness) without any cutting/adding of material. I am not counting overstretching of elastics as "modding."

The "Capacity" column will be either "<1" (not enough to accommodate a full wetting, at least not without extreme caution) or "1+" (can accommodate a full wetting, but probably not much more).

Note that the column headings for these last things are prefixed in the table with "Opinion:" to indicate that they're about me, and may not apply to anybody else.

Measurement Terms Legend

The Data (Don't forget to scroll all the way to the right!)

Picture (clickable) Country Date Make Model Size Gender Scented? Length (cm) Front (cm) Landing Zone (cm) Crotch (cm) Back/Tapes (cm) Tapes Stretched (cm) Opinion: Needs Mod? Opinion: Capacity Opinion: Comments
    U.S. Q3 2011 Pampers Cruisers (3-Way Fit) 7 n/a yes 56 31 18 22 41 95-105 no <1 Best-fitting baby diaper on me
    U.S. Q1 2012 Pampers Cruisers (3-Way Fit) 6 n/a yes 53 31 17.5 22 40 95-105 no <1 Too low--falls down
    U.S. Q1 2012 Pampers Baby Dry 6 n/a yes 56 31 18 22 40 80-90 yes <1 Can wear unmodded sometimes
    U.S. Q1 2012 Pampers Extra Protection 6 n/a yes 56 31 18 22 40 90-100 no 1+ Best-functioning baby diaper on me
    U.S. Q1 2012 Pampers Easy-Ups 4T-5T boy yes 52 26 n/a 15 26 n/a yes <1 Too low--falls down; love the smell; leaky
    U.S. Q1 2012 Pampers UnderJams L/XL girl no 57 30 n/a 16 30 n/a no 1+ Best-fitting kids' pull-up on me
    U.S. Q1 2012 Luvs Ultra Leakguards 6 n/a yes 56 31 18 22 40 ? yes <1 Slight crinkle; love the smell; terrible absorbency
    U.S. Q4 2011 Huggies Little Movers 6 n/a no 50 29 21.5 22 48 ? yes <1 Too low--falls down
    U.S. Q4 2011 Huggies Snug & Dry 6 n/a no 52 31 16 22 43 ? yes <1 Blah; get Overnights instead
    U.S. Q1 2012 Huggies Overnights 6 n/a no 52 31 16 22 43 ? yes 1+ Great absorbency, but needs mod
    U.S. Q1 2012 Huggies Pull-Ups 4T-5T boy no 49 26 n/a 15 27 n/a yes <1 Too low--falls down; leaky
    U.S. Q3 2011 Huggies GoodNites L/XL girl no 61 31 n/a 16 33 n/a yes 1+ Ok rise, but pops immediately without mod; leaky

Hope that helps! Use what you want to, toss what you don't.

Cheers,
    Cottontail

Noodle by value for money I meant did you think they're worth what you paid, an adult diaper may be $4 but it might be worth that much to you, telling me it's cost doesn't tell me your opinion of it ^_^

CottonTail could you do these:

Comfort:
    Absorbency:
    Doesn't Leak Easily:
    Value for money:
    Overall Rating:

I know that some of the information is there like a the fit is sometimes in the comments, and your absorbency rating system tells me they all score fairly low/they're likely to leak but it doesn't tell me how they compare to each other very much

Your chart needs hip size as well. This isn;t so significant for guys but it is more important for girls, whose hips are often significantly bigger than their waist.

- - - Updated - - -

The Diaper
    Diaper Brand/Manufacturer:
    Lille Healthcare
    Diaper Model: Supreme Fit Maxi
    Date: July 2012
    Size: Medium

Waist Size: 32"
    Hip Size: 36"
    Height: 5'6"

Does it fit: 5
    Comfort: 4
    Absorbency: 3
    Doesn't Leak Easily: 3
    Value for money: 5
    Overall Rating: 4

Quote Originally Posted by DylanK
    CottonTail could you do these:
    Some of them!

Already there. See the "Needs Mod?" column and its explanation above the table. If you don't have that column, then perhaps you're looking at this on a phone and it's getting cut off. I don't want to use the word "fit" here, because, as you'll remember from other threads on these diapers, suggesting that they "fit" leads to all kinds of silly outrage.

Absorbency:
    Again, already there. See the "Capacity" column. I've made this a binary thing; either I can confidently use them once or I have to worry. More than once is really unlikely for any of them.

Doesn't Leak Easily:
    You can infer this from the "Capacity" column as well as from the "Comments" column, depending on what you're trying to convey. Some of these either leak on me due to insufficient capacity (Capacity = "<1") or because they're pull-ups, in which case they're just inherently leaky on me due to a combination of other factors like shape (Comments contains "leaky").

Value for money:
    Overall rating:
    I'm reluctant to do these are here is why: For these diapers, subjectivity just starts fights, making these factors worse than useless. There are two categories of people who will use these diapers: People who see no way to get something "better," and people who actually prefer them (like me). In both cases, extreme biases are present, and in both cases, nobody really cares about these factors. They just want to know their chances of being able to use these *at all*, which are covered elsewhere.

If I give Cruisers a 5/5 because I have a preference for Pampers and can actually fasten these around my big frame... that doesn't really tell anybody anything. In fact, if somebody is trying to decide whether or not they should order something or just go to the store (having never worn before), then it's actually a disservice. And that's a likely use for this chart!

I'm generally leery of putting reviews in a size chart.

My $0.02.