Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adult Nightmares

Default Adult Nightmares

Does anyone have problems with nightmares? I've recently had some problems with nightmare with life threatening situations. They're usually extended incidents where I'm trying to stay alive or trying desperately to save people. One was even a warzone with artillery and bullets going off. It's gets quite vivid.

I've never had nightmares before and I don't feel safe anymore. I even anticipated that I would have one last night which I did. It probably has to do with a possible war with Iran. I'm in the military, but statistically unlikely to see combat, yet I know some people with the same career field getting into dangerous situations. Odd thing is most of the nightmares aren't war related.

Should I try to getting medication for this? I've been in therapy before (for something else)and it didn't really help me.

RoleModel

This is very very normal, I would guess the person in danger, or who will be in danger if you are hurt is someone you love, but bf / gf rather than family, or a very close friend u've fallen out with / not seen for a while right?

Quote Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
    This is very very normal, I would guess the person in danger, or who will be in danger if you are hurt is someone you love, but bf / gf rather than family, or a very close friend u've fallen out with / not seen for a while right?
    I don't think I encountered anyone I knew in these nightmare. Not even close.

Well i think it depends whether your nightmare is the same all the time and frequent i think you should see help. But if the nightmare is different and not frequent i think you will be fine.

RoleModel

In this dream, you (or a loved one) are ill, injured, or dying. It is a moderately common dream and, not surprisingly, occurs often at the onset of an illness. Aside from becoming ill, this dream can mean that you are emotionally hurt or are afraid of becoming hurt. The dream may also be warning you of an upcoming physical risk to yourself or a loved one. When it is someone else in the dream that dies, it can mean that you feel that part of yourself (that you see represented by that person) is dead. It may also mean that you wish the person would go away, or that you fear losing them.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm serious guys, if you are falling out with a friend / or have not seen them you might see them hurt, or see your self saving them, it's all about your mind trying to save the relationship and/or prepare it's self for the loss of that connection, it's more of a dream than a nightmare, I'd say, it's just the content can be quite nightmarish as it's very real at the time

@Rolemodel Serious'y, it's bullets flying, deafening explosions , phychotic killers. Not grandma lying sick in bed. The only person I remember dying in a recent dream was a hostage taking gunmen. What/who did he represent as he shot himself?

@Archer It's usually different each time, no memories or anything.

RoleModel

If could be like that for you, because your brain would not repsond to "x person attacking a friend etc u need to step in" with being forces u might need a stronger images... it's interesting that these killers, in charge with weapsons killed them self don't you think? The hostage was not killed, the person with the power was killed, the person who could make the change,

Is it possible, YOUR the gunman, and you think u might be in a position with the power and you don't want to be there?

I'm sure you have a padre at your station you can talk to about this, they will sort out some counseling and leave if needed without it touchng ur notes too much,

Quote Originally Posted by SubterraneanSun View Post
    @Archer It's usually different each time, no memories or anything.
    Well that's my though i'm not learn psychology and i only wish the best for you

Cygnus

About five-ish months ago I had a terrible sequence of three dreams. In these dreams there was mass murder at my school, very graphic scenes of my classmates/family getting their flesh ripped off and their faces stolen by a tentacled entity, small children getting sharp tentacled pierced throug their chests, etc. At first I though it was just my hormones raging beside me, but I eventually decided that they meant something more. I spent about two days meditating on them and as I look back, I realize that those dreams were the harbingers of the collapse of what I used to be and the eventual reformation of my entire outlook on life.

I'd try to meditate like I did. Maybe these dreams are a sign that personal change is needed or that your current habits aren't working out. The only other thing I can think of is vitamin D. Go out and take a ton of vitamin D supplements. If your body doesn't have enough vitamin D, it can't communicate properly with itself and it becomes depressed.

Sorry if I'm not much help, I don't really have experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
    I'm serious guys, if you are falling out with a friend / or have not seen them you might see them hurt, or see your self saving them, it's all about your mind trying to save the relationship and/or prepare it's self for the loss of that connection, it's more of a dream than a nightmare, I'd say, it's just the content can be quite nightmarish as it's very real at the time
    I think you're just over-analysing this, not every dream has a deep significant meaning. He could just be having a nightmare, the last time I had one it was about a castle run by an Armenian zombie ventriloquist dummy and I can't think of any meaning behind that one.