Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Todays Youth...

Angry Todays Youth...

... Are perfectly okay! They're the same as they were fifty years ago. In fact:

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

-Plato

So obviously, this whol mentality of today's youth being worse than the last generation has been going on for thousands of years. Despite the news reporting "alarming increases" in teenage drug use, sex, preganancies, addiction, we're still A-okay. All those things have actually gone down, despite what the media says.

I came across this quote while I was doing research on media scare mongering for an essay. And I'm a bit ticked hearing so many old fogies complaining about my generation, when they're own generation used to act the same way.

Last edited by Chillhouse; 18-Oct-2008 at 04:56.

Everyone thinks that things are worse now than when they were young. That's the whole divide between young and old - if you've grown out of doing stupid sh*t, then it's going to be hard to imagine you ever did it :P

And for the record, my dad (growing up in the 50's) was much worse as a kid, than I was (growing up in the 90's). I've heard some pretty crazy stories from family friends

I am not worried of kids acting like kids I am worried about them not giving a shit about stuff other then who's the best rapper or sports star. Nearly all the kids at the school I went to knew NOTHING about the elections or the top news stories.

Perfect example of this is the government, tons of the people involved in legislation had experiences with drugs, and then they make new legistaltion to increase minimum sentences for possession of them

Edit: Not to say that I support the usage of drugs in any way, but it is rather hypocritical

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I am not worried of kids acting like kids I am worried about them not giving a shit about stuff other then who's the best rapper or sports star. Nearly all the kids at the school I went to knew NOTHING about the elections or the top news stories.
    It'll always be like that. Teens only like things that get them excited.

If there's one thing about youth that we need to worry about, it's the amount of screen-face time they get + the way the baby boomers brought them up to be all materialistic. It's hard to find someone over the age of 14 without a cell phone where I live. In fact, I think I'm one of the only two people in Canada not to own a cellphone.

I am 20 years old and the only cell phone I ever had was a pre-paid virgin mobile with a broken antenna that couldn't connect worth ^*$% (it was given to me by a friend). One of my friends has had about 3 different cells phones and he lost them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I am 20 years old and the only cell phone I ever had was a pre-paid virgin mobile with a broken antenna that couldn't connect worth ^*$% (it was given to me by a friend). One of my friends has had about 3 different cells phones and he lost them all.
    I got my cell phone when I was 21. I'm now 23 and don't have a landline phone (common trend among people my age here), so my cell is my main contact. It's not so much a toy for me as it is a tool. It's amazing that kids think they need one in junior high and their parents should pay for it! If I was 14 right now my parents would not buy me a cellphone.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go yell at these kids on my lawn...

I am 18 and I didn't get a cell phone till I got a car, because my parents said that I would need it in case of an emergency. I think that it's not the kids that are getting worse it's the parents. People have the stupidest ideas when it comes to raising a kid. Like yelling and screaming at them works. My Dad used to yell at me like nobody else could and now when someone yells at me I laugh at them. Seriously bad parenting usually equals bad kids, or in the rare cases the kid that rises above it all and makes something of his or her self which is really rare but hella kool when it happens

EmeraldsAndLime

Look at me. My parents were quite liberal in how they raised me, I've done some sinister things, yet I turned out totally fine! *twitches*

I just think that due to the prevalence and huge integration of media into our culture that people are getting accustomed to being told what to think. I don't believe many people actually care about this issue, but they take up the opinion just because the idea is accessible and seems to be a logical point. I think it's the media just getting it's claws into their target audience - the older generation. Since the youth of today are different from (note, I didn't say worse than) the older generation, and the fact the nightly news report has a niche audience of this older generation, of course if the media present a story on "the problems of the youth of today", then the ranged perception will be that there is something wrong with the kids of today.

The best advice I can offer to anyone is to dissuade yourself from any sort of connotations, opinions, or ideals that are presented to you with a certain goal in mind. News reports are styled to strike a certain nerve within people and are broadcast with the aim of taking up one side of the story. That's one of many possible viewpoints on the subject matter, so to take it at face-value and just accept it really limits your scope on the issue and only serves to increase your ignorance.

The media will always tell you that the entire world is going to hell in a handbasket. It's how they maintain their readership/viewership. Personally, I think there should be a special news program that only reports happy things. And preferably has lots of videos of cats acting cutely.

Their favourite one in my neck of the woods (sorry, I don't know if you hail from glorious Britannia or if you are one of those dastardly rebellious colonials) is a phenomenon known as 'binge drinking'. Seriously, if you looked at what the media is telling you (especially the right wing media), you'd have thought that teenagers had only begun drinking in excess since 1997. That's a gigantic crock of shit, especially considering the tales my mother has told me about what they got up to in the 70s.

The youth have always been demonised and targeted by the media. While it's true that some members of the youth are real wankers, the majority are really decent people.

The right wing media seems to get nostalgic for the 1950s. What they seem to forget is why the world today isn't like that anymore: life was shite back then. It was a time of great intolerance, prejudice and hardship. Ever heard the phrase, "back in the day you could leave your front door unlocked" or something similar? It's because you had nothing worth stealing.

Modern life is far from perfect, but I'd argue it's certainly no worse than it was in the past.