Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So why exactly can I not play this one new game...?

Default So why exactly can I not play this one new game...?

This is for minimum requirements...

Video Card
    Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, ATI Radeon HD 4850
    You Have: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370
    Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your Video Card does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations. Click here for the latest Video drivers.
    Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
    Required You Have
    Pixel Shader version 3.0 5.0
    Vertex Shader version 3.0 5.0
    Dedicated Video RAM 512 MB 1.0 GB
    I have two versions higher for pixel shader, two versions higher for vertex shader, and double the necessary video RAM. So what's the problem there? >.<

Thaguy123

Idk? Do you have the newest video card drivers?

I haven't actually bought the game yet. Prototype 2. I won't be buying it for six months or longer, probably. I still haven't played the first game. But I wanna be able to play this one afterward.

System Requirements Lab claims my video card isn't good enough, even though it meets those three requirements.

Can You RUN It | Can I run that game | Game system requirements

(Though you won't get the same results unless you have the same system I have)

WillosauriestSporer

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    This is for minimum requirements...

I have two versions higher for pixel shader, two versions higher for vertex shader, and double the necessary video RAM. So what's the problem there? >.<
    Your video card itself is too old. Time for an upgrade!

That doesn't tell me very much at all. Why is it "too old"? Why? It MORE than meets the listed requirements for shaders & video memory. What exactly makes it more than good enough.... yet still just not good enough, at the same time?! Besides, I can't upgrade. It's a laptop, though it isn't integrated graphics, at least. I couldn't get a desktop because there's just nowhere to put one.

Even though your video card is better then the listed requirements for shader & video memory, it's not made for gaming. I dont think your laptop is build for gaming at all. They say its too old because your card can use a maximum amount of power, while the temperature gets higher and higher. These days the cards are way more powerful.

I bought a desktop (mainly for school so it's not programmed for gaming) and it has all the requirements to play World of Warcraft ( yep that what I play ) on ultra. But when I play on ultra, it's getting laggy.

Thaguy123

A video card is made for gaming when it has more then 256MB (and ati = gamer video card)

Why would word or PowerPoint take more then 5Mb video memory?

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    Why is it "too old"? Why? It MORE than meets the listed requirements for shaders & video memory. What exactly makes it more than good enough.... yet still just not good enough, at the same time?!
    Well, you're not thinking about the actual processing power and bandwidth of the card. Your Radeon 6370 has a 750Mhz processor with 80 pipelines (similar to a core, if you will) and a mere 64-bit bus width. Plus it's running DDR3 memory, which would be okay for other cards, although DDR5 is starting to make its way down the price list.

Compare that to the minimum required processor, the Radeon 4850 (I'm not sure if they meant a desktop or graphics card, so I went with the mobile one): 500mhz core clock with 800 pipelines, and 256-bit bandwidth.

Oh, and how to "read" graphics cards:
    Radeon Generation/quality level/model/+a zero at the end. IE a Radeon 5750 can do Skyrim a little bit better than a Radeon 6450. The other card was made earlier, but it's a higher class. Anything with a 1-5 as the second digit is going to be pretty low in power, even for its generation.

Nvidia's numbers are a little bit more complicated. You've got generation/quality/model, but performance numbers seem to be pretty varied. Generally: GTX is going to be more powerful than a GTS, GTS is usually going to be stronger than a GT. 1-4 are your weak numbers, with some exceptions, such as most of their 5xx stuff. a GT 440 2GB (or 4GB) can outdo a GTX 260, oddly.

Ughhhh I hate video cards! They're too complicated! Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I should have known it had something to do with some other important factor they didn't mention. Why they only mention those three important things... I don't know. I wish I could play Prototype 2 on low.... "low" graphics mode sometimes isn't really very low at all. I don't see why a "low" mode should be very demanding. Sometimes I wonder if developers are paid to intentionally make sure some people can't play stuff, so that they'll upgrade their cards... I guess that's probably not true, but... who knows...

I suppose I'll have to find a way/spot to hook up a console, somewhere, somehow, when I get around to playing this. Until then, I still have tons of games that my laptop should run okay. Many of which look amazing! I don't see why every game always needs the latest video card! but.... oh well. Maybe I should have went with the laptop that had the Radeon HD 6550M... but I didn't like the keyboard, nor smaller screen size.... nor the battery life. But that was a year ago, and I pretty much like my computer a lot anyway.

Oh wow.... there are like a bazillion laptops that would probably run Prototype 2 just fine... laptops that are a few hundred dollars less than mine was! *sigh*
    Last edited by ShippoFox; 25-Jul-2012 at 23:57.

Laptops arent made for demanding games. Even if marketed otherwise.

Usually the mobile variants of the same "model" number are worse.
    Plus, in case of a 63xx, it just sucks, even as desktop version. Great low power office card though, probably.