View Poll Results: Should she face charges for her crime (regardless of the fact if charges are dropped or not)?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    35 56.45%
  • No

    27 43.55%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: Punishing Rape Victims?

  1. #1

    Question Punishing Rape Victims?

    I read a story on Monday and also notice a current topic on here about juvenile offenders.

    Here is the article: KFI AM 640 News Article
    (contains the name of the minor victim; however, her parents consented releasing her name)

    Now she is the victim of rape and was unhappy with plea deal so she released the names of her juvenile offenders.

    Should she face charges for her crime? Comments...

  2. #2

    Default

    Being a rape victim doesn't put you above the law. She broke the law, she should be punished. Non-issue.

    Vigilantes of any kind are a danger to any rule of law system. She apparently won't be charged, but frankly he should have been charged. She /knew/ that she was doing something illegal.

  3. #3

    Default

    That's just sick. The blaming the victim thing has to stop and the censorship, ugh. What's next, stopping people from talking about their abuse they suffered as children?

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    That's just sick. The blaming the victim thing has to stop and the censorship, ugh. What's next, stopping people from talking about their abuse they suffered as children?
    It's not "blaming the victim". The court specifically ordered that she didn't release the names of the perpetrators. This is pretty standard when minors are defendants in criminal cases.

    She then felt that the sentence they received wasn't adequate, so took it upon herself to violate the court order and release their names, seemingly in the hope that some vigilante would decide to pay them a visit.

  5. #5

    Default

    I agree Near the Judge (according to what I have read ... not sure if it is true or just assumed as is with all juvenile cases) told the parties the contents of the hearings are confidential.

    I agree with Calico in that censorship is not right; however, what if it was your son who made the mistake and now has his name all over the internet. However on that note the offenders sent pictures of her body all over the internet, too.

    Tough area.

    [Note: As I was catching myself in this reply ... lets try to keep the replies in a mature fashion as I think this is a good topic and I do not want it to create a Moderator Nightmare. ]

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by x000017 View Post
    It's not "blaming the victim". The court specifically ordered that she didn't release the names of the perpetrators. This is pretty standard when minors are defendants in criminal cases.

    She then felt that the sentence they received wasn't adequate, so took it upon herself to violate the court order and release their names, seemingly in the hope that some vigilante would decide to pay them a visit.
    Oh so she can talk about it but she cannot out the rapists. But she is willing to go to jail for it because she is standing up for her right.



    Quote Originally Posted by Kid View Post
    I agree Near the Judge (according to what I have read ... not sure if it is true or just assumed as is with all juvenile cases) told the parties the contents of the hearings are confidential.

    I agree with Calico in that censorship is not right; however, what if it was your son who made the mistake and now has his name all over the internet. However on that note the offenders sent pictures of her body all over the internet, too.

    Tough area.

    [Note: As I was catching myself in this reply ... lets try to keep the replies in a mature fashion as I think this is a good topic and I do not want it to create a Moderator Nightmare. ]
    I'm the sort of person who believes in humiliation. Do something bad, you don't deserve to be protected. When I encountered abuse on another forum from a mod, i outed her on other forums. I was seen as a bully for it by a few people but I didn't care because I stood up for myself. If standing up for yourself is bullying, so be it. I notice when I don't stand up for myself, I am weak and people can see they can push me around and mess with me because I am helpless and too passive. But when I do stand up for myself, I am a "bully." I decided to embrace that label and wear it like a badge. I don't think people can handle me standing up for myself so I would take it as a compliment.
    Last edited by Calico; 24-Jul-2012 at 19:24. Reason: Merging posts

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I'm the sort of person who believes in humiliation. Do something bad, you don't deserve to be protected. When I encountered abuse on another forum from a mod, i outed her on other forums. I was seen as a bully for it by a few people but I didn't care because I stood up for myself. If standing up for yourself is bullying, so be it. I notice when I don't stand up for myself, I am weak and people can see they can push me around and mess with me because I am helpless and too passive. But when I do stand up for myself, I am a "bully." I decided to embrace that label and wear it like a badge. I don't think people can handle me standing up for myself so i would take it as a compliment.
    So, your point is that it's indeed vigilantism but you agree with it principle?



    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Oh so she can talk about it but she cannot out the rapists. But she is willing to go to jail for it because she is standing up for her right.
    What right? Free speech is not absolute and the restrictions laid down by the judge fall within such areas. It's also clearly not self defence by any legally valid definition. So... what am I missing?

  8. #8

    Default

    Regardless, it's an established legal principle that trials with minor defendants are not public. Ultimately it comes down to whether you agree with that principle.

  9. #9
    Bigreddog

    Default

    That girl is brave. She doesn't deserve jail time. And in my opinion, all rapists and child molesters should be taken out back after their hearing, and be shot. It's sick to do that and they don't deserve a chance to do it again.

  10. #10

    Default

    The title is misleading. They are not punishing her for being a rape victim, they are punishing her for going against a court order to not release the names.

    Rape is a very difficult thing to litigate on. A lot of rapes aren't reported right away, and by the time they are, the evidence is gone. Even if there is evidence that there was sex, there is the possibility that it was consensual and even bruising can be explained by one of them just liking it rough. Basically, it's nearly impossible in most cases to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that a rape occurred. You can be 90% sure it happened, but there is still reasonable doubt in most cases, and that's why they usually result in plea bargains.

    The problem goes both ways, though. The plea bargain does not always mean they are guilty of the crime, sometimes they are just looking to cut their losses even if there was no rape. Take the case of Brian Banks, for example. Just because they accepted the plea bargain, doesn't mean they are actually guilty.

    So yes, I think she should be punished. I don't know if she was raped, but it went to court and if they got a plea bargain that comes off in their favour, it's probably because there was very little evidence and they would have gotten off anyway. Basically, there probably wasn't enough evidence to prove that she was raped, other than her word. What happened to "it's better that 100 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man go to jail for a crime he didn't commit"?

Similar Threads

  1. A message to the victims of 9/11
    By BabyBodybuilder in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-Sep-2011, 21:09
  2. Rape victims being able to joke about rape
    By DictatorBanana in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-Dec-2010, 22:09

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.