Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Race playing apart in the presidental election?

Default Race playing apart in the presidental election?

The day after the California primary this year I asked some of the black students at the school I was at who they would vote for. All of them said Obama and I asked them why and they literary said "because he is black". I then played around with them a bit by saying this.

"I voted for Mitt Romney because he is white." (that was lie on my part though I did vote for him, race will NEVER affect my votes to do so would be idiotic I think.) This really got them mad not enough for them to punch me thank god but enough to cuss at me a little before the teacher got them to settle down. Anyways I asked them why they could vote for Obama because he is black but I can't vote for Romney because he is white. They then realized the error they commited at least I hope they did.

I already knew they don't care about the news at all so really I feel they are inept to even make a decision.

Anyways on the same point I was making here is a clip from the Howard Stern show about this exact same issue. Expect that the people on this don't even know the issues nor the vice presidents.

http://www.bpmdeejays.com/upload/hs_...lem_100108.mp3

In some circles, I suppose that race might have some bearing on people's decisions, but I don't think it's as big of an issue as one might expect.

Certainly, as far as voting patterns amongst the black community in the United States is concerned, they have always been strongly in favour of the Democrats. This is because, sadly, black Americans are also statistically more likely to be poor Americans. The fact that the Democratic candidate is black might potentially sway even more black voters to go for the Democrats, but they'd have always overwhelmingly supported the Democrats no matter who the candidate was-- Obama, Clinton, Edwards... whoever.

As far as white racists are concerned, they'd never vote Democrat anyway, so the point you raised is pretty irrelevant here.

You also have to remember that you were asking young people. I don't think someone can really expect young people-- in general-- to have as developed political viewpoints as older people, so it makes sense that they'd base their choice on superficial qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Verscha View Post
    In some circles, I suppose that race might have some bearing on people's decisions, but I don't think it's as big of an issue as one might expect.

Certainly, as far as voting patterns amongst the black community in the United States is concerned, they have always been strongly in favour of the Democrats. This is because, sadly, black Americans are also statistically more likely to be poor Americans. The fact that the Democratic candidate is black might potentially sway even more black voters to go for the Democrats, but they'd have always overwhelmingly supported the Democrats no matter who the candidate was-- Obama, Clinton, Edwards... whoever.

As far as white racists are concerned, they'd never vote Democrat anyway, so the point you raised is pretty irrelevant here.

You also have to remember that you were asking young people. I don't think someone can really expect young people-- in general-- to have as developed political viewpoints as older people, so it makes sense that they'd base their choice on superficial qualities.
    Well in the mp3 link I provided there's clear proof that some people support obama just because he is black or its the cool thing to do, none of them sounded like teenagers at all. Also is it not important for young people to pay attention to world/national events? I don't watch the news that much anymore but its not that hard to follow either.

Also is it not important for young people to pay attention to world/national events?
    Absolutely, but the fact of the matter is that a large number do not. There are a myriad of reasons for this, but I am tired and thinking is hard. D:

Anyway, flimsy reasons to vote for someone is not a new phenomenon. In the 2001 UK general election for instance, the Conservative candidate, William Hague, lost some votes because he was bald. Of course, he lost the rest because the Conservative Party at the time was electorally hopeless.

Absolutely, but the fact of the matter is that a large number do not. There are a myriad of reasons for this, but I am tired and thinking is hard. D:

Anyway, flimsy reasons to vote for someone is not a new phenomenon. In the 2001 UK general election for instance, the Conservative candidate, William Hague, lost some votes because he was bald. Of course, he lost the rest because the Conservative Party at the time was electorally hopeless.
    The only reason I seen was they don't care and they think there's better stuff to do. A lot of the youth in my area are into gangs. Stockton has some of the worst crime rates in America thanks to racial tensions of nearly every single race of people living in the central Valley of California. Anyways there little excuse for them not to watch 30 or 60 mins of news per night, hell that was homework for my current events class once but I was watching about 3 hours of news per night and I looked up stuff online as well.

I also talked to my teachers about news events since none of my fellow classmates did, for this I got singled out as a teachers pet since this actually made the teachers like me better.

Race plays a part in everything. Some black people are voting for Obama because he's black. Some white people are voting for Obama because he's black. And some white people are voting for McCain because he's white.

There are plenty of white Democratic racists out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    There are plenty of white Democratic racists out there.
    Actually... oh balls. Section of the blue-collar voters, huh? You're right. Sorry, I'll concede that point.

Darkfinn

Sadly... I think a lot of Southern whites are going to vote for McCain simply b/c they don't want a "N-word" for President. Believe it or not, hate is alive and well down here below the Mason-Dixon line... there are still plenty of guys in white robes and pointy hooded hats meeting in farmer's back fields on a regular basis... you just need to know where to look and whom to ask.

I will also say that there are a lot of ignorant blacks who are voting for Obama simply because he is black as well... so it works for both sides.

As long as Obama doesn't put a set of dub spinners on the Presidential limo and have his own version of "Here Come Da Cheif"... he's just fine in my book.

Sadly, it does play a huge part, America needs a President that's a mix of every race and is an Atheist. Just think a President with no Religion sadly of course this will never happen.