Thread: Rachels Challenge

Default Rachels Challenge

Well two things set off this post. 1) I saw Charlies "Little Things" post, and there was an assembly at my school today for Rachels Challenge.

For those of you that don't know about it, Rachel was the first girl to die in the Columbine shooting. Her parents and others go around schools challenging them to accept "Rachels Challenge" basically... it's about kindness and compassion. And they stressed to my school, the "little things."

They told us a story about how the Rachel girl used to sit with newbies at school, and by sitting with the one girl she stopped the girl from committing suicide, because it meant that much to her.

So my question for you is... What are the little acts of kindness that you do for others? And what feelings do you get from it?

As cliche and tacky as it sounds, anytime I get up and let an elder have my seat on the bus, or I pick up something they dropped, or lend someone in front of me the nickle they were struggling to find I get a warm and fuzzy feeling. Then I just have to smile, and I feel so damn proud of myself for being nice. And as selfless as the act may be, in a way it is quite selfish. Knowing that being selfless gives me a good feeling, and then doing just that, is selfish in itself if that makes any sense.

EmeraldsAndLime

Well, I'm definitely not the best conversation starter, nor am I the best for holding a conversation, but I've been told numerous times that I'm a good listener and a great shoulder to cry on. I'll happily sit down with someone and listen to what they have to say (even if I have no interest in it whatsoever). I think all some people need is just someone there who is willing to be on the receiving end a rant/vent, or just someone who shows they give two shits about them. Even if my advice is lame and tacky, I still get thanked for listening.

It's weird that Canadians are doing that, when I have never heard of that Rachel's Challenge thing before, while Columbine happened in my country

Countdown

I've never heard of Rachel's Challenge before either. I don't really do many acts of kindness toward others. I am kind and friendly to everyone I first meet, but I'm very quiet, and I usually do my own thing and not pay attention to others. I used to be pretty kind and do the sorts of things you do, Mandi, but I always felt really awkward while doing it, so I stopped.

maddi

I hold the door open for the person coming into a building behind me. It seems like a no-brainer to me, but you wouldn't believe the surprised smiles I get by this one simple gesture... Makes my day...

Same here Maddi. I try and be courteous, but that's because around here the smallest thing can get you pushed over and maybe into a fight. My high school is a test-in one and we're arguably the best high school in the country as far as scores and careers which is weird because Arizona is 48th in the country for school funding. We share a campus with one of the worst in the state. Go figure, right? It's kind of ingrained courtesy into me, and it's surprising when someone is actually thankful.

There's this kid with Asperger's at my school (the "smart" high school). He's got a squeaky voice and an invasive personality, but he's really nice to talk to and is probably smarter than most people at school. But everyone thinks he's annoying. He's starting to get frustrated with it so I decided to start talking to him. It's really the small things that count!

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    It's weird that Canadians are doing that, when I have never heard of that Rachel's Challenge thing before, while Columbine happened in my country
    I didn't know that Cow-land was recognized by the UN.

I've never heard of this either but as far as kindness goes I am not. I don't go out of my way for that kind of stuff. If I see something that can be done like holding a door open for someone then i'll do it but generaly i'm not that kind to stangers. Am I a bad person?

I can't leave someone alone until they start smiling. It's this anoying habit I have.

Oh wow I forgot to mention holding open doors. Like you said, Maddi, it's a no-braner. Such a no-braner that I forgot that I do it. Although I have to say it irks me when people treat me as a doorman, and keep flooding in and out while I stand there twiddlling my thumbs. :P

Also if you guys are interested here is the site for rachels Challenge: Welcome to Rachel's Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Yet they do it down here.