View Poll Results: Manual or Automatic

48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer to drive a stick shift

23 47.92%
  • I prefer an automatic

16 33.33%
  • It doesn't matter

7 14.58%
  • I'd like a manual, but don't know how to drive one.

2 4.17%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manual or Automatic?

Default Manual or Automatic?

I'm just wondering, for those of you who drive or want to, would you prefer a car with a standard manual transmission or an automatic. I'll go for a stick shift any day of the week, but I was at a dealer that probably had 100 cars on the lot, only 4 of them were stick. I'm just wondering what everyone would prefer.

le Auto. It's easier. Less stress out of my life. I can't multitask, so stick shifts are out.

Automatic, much easier to concentrate on the road, or I think it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Automatic, because I don't know how to drive manual
    It's easy. I'll teach you if nobody else will.

I love to drive standard transmission cars, I have 2 sticks, and 1 automatic, you will always get better fuel mileage out of a standard, because you choose what gear you want to be in and for how long you want to be in that gear,plus they are geared a little higher than auto trans cars.

With auto. trans cars they go thru every gear when you start out, wasteing fuel,with a stick, you can avoid gears if you have enough speed up to do so.

With my standard cars I pull out in 1st, and most of the time hit 3rd, and then 5th very rarely do I go thru all the gears, sometimes with the vette I like to push the gears a little harder if I'm in the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    It's easy. I'll teach you if nobody else will.
    I'd let you too probably...But I don't have a need to learn really...

Stick, 1 Cause I'm a man 2 For the lulz, 3 for more control, and 4 1/2 for the gas?

You guys are all so soft.

I drive a manual and absolutely love it. It gives you a lot more control over your car and is a lot more fun than just always having two hands on the wheel and one foot working the pedals. Not to mention if the transmission fails, it's cheaper to replace. Plus it's just a nice skill to have in case the need to use it ever arises.

Before I got my licence, I thought I'd only ever want to drive an automatic, but since my parents cars were both manual, I had no choice. After getting the hang of it, I have a good time driving around. Having to change gears and working pedals with both feet keeps you alert and focused on your driving, as you have to always assess the situation and act accordingly. You aren't just sitting there going *Brake* *Accelerate* *Brake* *Accelerate*, etc...

Gotta love how I just post something simple. Someone rolls over my post with wall of text that reduces my intelligence by 10