Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Palin fans

Default Question for Palin fans

Not Michael Palin, but Sarah. (Awwwww! )

I have heard people here say that they are confident in her, or that said people really like her. Why do you feel this way? (I do not want to argue, which is what most of my many political threads often spark. I just want to hear why you feel this way about her.) To me, she just seems like she's repeating what McCain says with even more use of the word 'maverick' and a few 'darn rights' and 'you betchas' thrown in. Please respond. Although I may or may not respond, I will be reading your opinions. Thank you for reading/ posting.

I don't think I ever said I had confidence in her. She has as much experience as Obama which is barely any at all. Both of them shouldn't be in the race at all I think. But she is running for VP unlike Obama.

Now maybe you can answer why Obama picked a old Washington insider like Biden. I don't think he picked someone that has about 20 years in government to represent "change".

Sorry if you thought I was, but I was not hinting at you, F2B. I think that Obama picked Biden so he could have someone with more experience than himself, that he could go to for advice when they meet. The change refers to change from the wreck that is the Bush administration, and although Biden is old and has been in the business for a while, his ideas are a change from George Bush's.

Meanwhile, although Obama is relatively new to big politics, he has always had the drive to change the world for the better. Throughout his history as a politician, he has defended the working people and fought for their rights. However, Obama has certainly become more experienced in this presidential campaign. He was able to defeat Hillary Clinton, who was long regarded as the favored pick for the Democratic Party.

(This is just off the top of my head, so please give me a break if there are one or two sub-accurate statements.)

I do trust Palin, and I know that when McCain & Palin are elected, she has a decent chance at becoming president. Of the four, McCain, Obama, Biden & Palin, she is the only one with executive experience being both the Mayor of her hometown and governor of Alaska, though I will admit both for short periods.

Something about presidents that I think needs to be mentioned is that they are largely influenced by their cabinet, and I trust McCain/Palin to pick an excellent cabinet. Also, Alaska shares large foreign borders with other countries and is not part of the contiguous U.S. states and I feel this gives her a leg up in foreign policy more so than other governors might. Granted, the land boundary is between us and Canada is a very friendly border, her state has always been close geographically to Russia. Personally, I have complete faith in Sarah Palin that if John McCain should pass away, she will do an excellent job running the country given the fact that she is not a washington insider.

Darkfinn

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Now maybe you can answer why Obama picked a old Washington insider like Biden. I don't think he picked someone that has about 20 years in government to represent "change".
    Ah... my turn.

Obama picked Joe Biden so he could have a running mate with strong experience, especially in the field of foreign policy. Someone he could trust for advice when times get tough... someone who has been there and seen and done practically everything. Good advice from an experienced friend is invaluable. It is perfectly acceptable to represent change and pick a veteran as your back-seater.

I sure don't see McCain turning to Palin for advice or a second opinion on anything... except maybe what to have cooked for dinner.

I think there's a lot of reasons why McCain and co. picked Sarah Palin. As a registered Republican myself, I can't necessarily say that I entirely agree with the choice -- she was relatively unknown to me prior to this -- but I can definitely see what kind of waves McCain was attempting to make by doing so.

1) She was relatively unheard-of. That might not seem like a good thing, but I think in a lot of ways, it is. Sometimes, American politics is like going to the movies -- there's always going to be famous faces you know, people who have had a thousand different roles doing the same old thing. It's all the same faces, all the faces that have been there forever, saying the same sly things. Palin, though she's not too far different from that standard (I think politicians are their own race), is a completely new and relatively unknown addition to the ranks. She's someone we're all learning about as opposed to having had her reputation created for her prior.

2) She represents an unwaveringly strong conservative viewpoint. One of the problems with John McCain being such a "maverick" (that word makes me want to punch myself in the tits) is that he's had a habit of "reaching across the aisle" (that term makes me want to punch myself in the tits) and "breaking through partisan politics" (another term that makes me want to punch myself in the tits). I don't think McCain has done as much cross-party work as he wants to admit .... but what's true is that Republicans are listening, and a lot of Republicans don't think that McCain's politics represent their Republican mindset enough. It was important for him to get a candidate alongside him that could rally all of those strongly partisan supporters that he risked losing because of him being such a "maverick".

3) She's got a vagina. Seriously, what a huge "**** you!" to Democrats skating along on Obama's African American heritage. It's almost as if the Republicans were saying, "Look, we have our own special interest candidate right here!" Before anyone jumps on me, it's hard to deny that there are a lot of people -- Republican and Democratic both -- who are taking Obama's race and putting it up on the top of their flagpole and saying, "THIS IS WHY WE NEED HIM AS PRESIDENT! HIS VIEWPOINT IS VASTLY EXOTIC COMPARED TO THIS WHITE SKINNED, WHITE-HAIRED POLITICAL REGIME!" That people think like that is a strong, huge influence for the Obama campaign. People who are less educated in political intricacies might very well vote for him because of his trend-changing significance. The Republicans wanted to have their own history-making candidate, too. It was a very, very clever business retort.

4) She's a "change" in Republican ideals. Yes, she doesn't really represent too many new things as a Republican ... but she's got a vagina! When Republicans can rally behind a woman as one of their figureheads, it does actually speak of some form of change in the mindsets of the generalized, stereotyped Republican.

Do I think that Sarah Palin is the best choice for VP? No, not at all -- in truth, I think Condoleezza Rice would have been an outstanding Republican VP. There are others that I think could have been more considerably advantageous candidates ... but I definitely see where McCain and company were going with nominating Sarah Palin, and I can appreciate the attempt they're making to represent modifications in the same old GOP mindset.

Do I trust her? Yeah, I do. She represents what I feel a Republican candidate should. Should I trust her? That all depends, but maybe Washington D.C. really does need a Dave-esque up-and-comer story. Obama could be one; Palin could be, too. I'll put my money on risk any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    I sure don't see McCain turning to Palin for advice or a second opinion on anything... except maybe what to have cooked for dinner.
    How typical.

Darkfinn

Well... I will admit that I'd much rather see Palin on the ticket than Rice. That woman is the devil incarnate... she is litterally in the pocket of big oil.

Condolezza Rice has an oil tanker named after her... you do know that... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I don't think I ever said I had confidence in her. She has as much experience as Obama which is barely any at all. Both of them shouldn't be in the race at all I think. But she is running for VP unlike Obama.
    she has far less experience. Obama has had experience at the national level. Palin was mayor of a town of 5,000 people and she took it from having a surplus to being $22 million in debt. she was governor of a state but the state only has 600,000 residents and half of them live in Anchorage. she didn't even own a passport until recently. and her foreign policy consists of her state neighboring Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    and her foreign policy consists of her state neighboring Russia.
    I thought that was a little weird... That one comment about how she's experienced in foreign policy because her state is so close to Russia must have been a kick in the bum for swing votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    Well... I will admit that I'd much rather see Palin on the ticket than Rice. That woman is the devil incarnate... she is litterally in the pocket of big oil.

Condolezza Rice has an oil tanker named after her... you do know that... right?
    And that's expected to change my opinion of who I believe would be a good nominee because...? Darkfinn, you are constantly proselytizing your political opinions without respect to the idea that others may not think precisely how you do.