Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying processor help for my new laptop

Default Buying processor help for my new laptop

On the 19th of this month[July],im going to have the funds to buy a laptop for collage.

This one:
    Amazon.com: HP Compaq Presario cq58-a10nr 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black): Computers & Accessories

And I noticed that the processor is not that good...Me, being a guy that like performance looked online for processors and found the AMD FX series processors but...I dont think its compatible with this laptop because of the type of RAM it uses and the transfer rate...

So im asking a sort of hard question...What AMD[because im sort of a fan of their processors]processors could I buy for this laptop thats under [processors that cost]$300-$400 thats better[as in more cores,higher clock frequency,low wattage,low cost] then the processor this laptop has all ready.

Thanks if you can help.[il post pic of it on the 19th]

Modding a laptop is highly difficult and rarely worth it. When buying a laptop you really should consider everything you are going to use it for. Then find the most appropriate stock option.

Thaguy123

Oh... And don't buy HP

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Modding a laptop is highly difficult and rarely worth it. When buying a laptop you really should consider everything you are going to use it for. Then find the most appropriate stock option.
    Well,I do have some experience at looking at the ®innerds® of laptops and computers since I like to work on them my self...But processors are a different story,I can take them out,clean the dust of of it,ect but its more diffcult in trying to figure out compatibility of processors for computers then...compatibility of RAM or harddrives for laptops

Im sort of trying to save most of the money for collage because of some factors that are sort of out of my control.

What I plan to do when I get it,is upgrade its hardware to the max so that it can be collage ready on August 10th.

alu

the HP brand, the Compaq, and the Presario makes are all bad, i suggest looking arround for some sort of other laptop, for the price you can get much better specs on a laptop/pc. Also look for student discounts at college that way you dont have to pay as much for better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by alu View Post
    the HP brand, the Compaq, and the Presario makes are all bad, i suggest looking arround for some sort of other laptop, for the price you can get much better specs on a laptop/pc. Also look for student discounts at college that way you dont have to pay as much for better quality.
    I know they are bad brands but im just so edicted to them for some reason.
    I guess im the only guy here that seems to like the lower prices of what HP seems to offer...You see,I not used to having this much money before because my mom and me been on SSI for income which has never been above $1000/mo before so im a little bit confused what to do with the financial aid im getting on the 19th...I know I will not go with Dell,Ascer sounds too foreign of a company for me to understand and expensive.

I would but unlike diapers which I can change brands...I tend to stay with one company when it comes to computers...I tryed Dell but they didnt do any good for me last time...

Since I may not be getting much help with types of processors that are compatible...I have a question.

What do I look for in processors to see what is compatible in computers?

Acer and Toshiba are the best for laptops, but if you are going to do any games a NetBook might be a better and affordable option for you.

Problem with what you want to do is you need motherboard specs, and laptops rarely list that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Acer and Toshiba are the best for laptops, but if you are going to do any games a NetBook might be a better and affordable option for you.

Problem with what you want to do is you need motherboard specs, and laptops rarely list that information.
    I have a netbook allready...Its called my Nintendo 3DS*giggles*

Ooooooh! I see! Look at the motherboard of a computer for compatibility of processors

...I dont want to change companys but I guess things have to change over time

Lets see...any Toshiba laptops/Netbook PC's that have DDR3 RAM/web cam/microphone/under $400 and has a 2.00 or faster 2 or more core processor...Hmmm? I guess I'll look on the web site...One moment...

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AS5560-7402-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B006LWUPA6/ref=sr_1_10?&s=pc&ie=ie=UTF8&qid=1341967705&sr=1-10&keywords=Acer+Notebook

[I hope the link works] How about this one? Its got a 4 core processor but its slow at 1.4 Ghz but I like that it has turbo up to 2.4Ghz.

So many choices...just like diapers to chose from.

Few things I'll throw out there:

Your computer is only as fast as the weakest link. Processor isn't always the bottleneck. Companies that mass produce consumer PCs are good at matching specs.. and throwing a higher end processor (or ram) into a system that isn't spec-ed out to use it is just a waste of money (it'll work, but you won't see much performance gain).

Also replacing a processor on a laptop is usually not trivial in most cases. In some (rare, but some) the processor is actually soldered in. In some, the cooling assembly is rather complicated and getting it out usually involves pretty much gutting the whole laptop (and some are really designed to be installed once).

Cost wise I think your insane to buy something with the goal of upgrading it. Mass consumer production has driven the cost of components right to the margin.. you are just tossing out money this way.

To your question.. absolute easiest way to identify compatible hardware is look at the upper configurations of the laptop you buy. Most laptops are sold in multiple configurations.. so if they sell a laptop with the same everything except better processor.. it's a good bet that it's compatible/works well together.

TheGamefreak

Quite frankly i don't think its possible, nor recommended in the slightest to chance the processor of a laptop as they usually use special mobile chips. Anyway assuming your not doing gaming of any sort, the ACER one works fine I'm biased towards intel processors, but for a laptop i think the AMD apu's (Graphics and processor on one chip) fits well, I'm guessing that its gonna be used 90% for web browsing word documents and other random activities so you don't really need to worry much about the speed of the processor as the main thing holding you back in laptops are the horrendous hard drives that are usually in them. So in short the Acer aspire should work just fine for you, and if u want a bit of an upgrade in terms of noticeable speed and snappiness change out the hard drive for something like a hybrid-ssd (Momentus XT- Amazon.com: Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST95005620AS: Electronics)

In summary- the Acer laptop will suit your needs just fine, only upgrade i would recommend is a different hard drive if you want.