Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remembering the 80's

Default Remembering the 80's

I like the "Remembering the 90's" thread so much, I was hoping to expand to another decade - my personal favorite - the 80's! For those of us who remember it, tell us your memories - those you loved, or maybe even hated. I'll start off with a couple things I loved, though the list is exhaustive.

1980, the decade started off with the movie Empire Strikes Back! Absolutely awesome movie!

Alternative rock - Depeche Mode, R.E.M.

1981 - the Space Shuttle - rocks! 1986 - the Challenger explosion - tragedy!

Reagan - loved AND hated him.

80's thick, puffy, crinkly diapers - God please bring them back!

And of course, the Personal Computer explosion and Video games!

So, let the nostalgia begin and tell us what you loved/hated about the 80's.

I was 13 when the 80s began so naturally that was my era as a teenager.

Music - everything from new romantic to hair metal. NME magazine. Huge "ghetto-blasters" and breakdancing. Live Aid.

Fashion - Bright coloured Reeboks high-tops. Legwarmers. Boys in eyeliner. Big shoulder pads (yuk). "Choose Life" t-shirts.

Movies - Labyrinth. Indiana Jones. E.T., Terminator, Back to the Future. Princess Bride. Wargames.

TV - Miami Vice, Baywatch (hated that one but so clasically 80s). The Young Ones. Beauty and the Beast. Bread. Spittig Image. Blockbusters. Snooker, lots and lots of snooker.

Other stuff - Sony Walkmans and mix-tapes. Rubiks Cube. Sinclair ZX Spectrum. Margaret Thatcher and the coal-miners strikes. Princess Diana. The fall of the Berlin Wall and the breakup of communism.

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    Rubiks Cube.

Made in 1970's, sold as a toy in 1980 though.

Polyester pastel colored clothing (Thanks Miami Vice)
    The decade of excess
    New Coke
    MTV (Back when it used to show Music Videos)

I was born in 88...
    But I do love me some bad 80s teen movies~
    And some 80s pop music~

I was never alive in the 80s, but I can appreciate them. My dad had a CD closet with many one hit wonders from then in there. My mom also makes us listen to XM 80s on 8 in the car. I like the music most of the time. One hit wonders, like Ratt, ABC, Glass Tiger, Simple Minds, and that stuff. And the Cars, but they're not a 1 hit wonder. And I have the entire REM collection on my iPod.

Oh! How could I forget? The CD! Yes, Compact Discs came out in the 80's. I remember the first time I heard one, the sound was so crisp and sharp it was like you could cut yourself on it. I know there are audiophile purists who say the rich sounds from a good vinyl record can't be matched. That being said, to my young ears CDs were AMAZING!

By the way, I also remember the VHS vs. Beta war - very much like the more recent BlueRay vs. HDDVD war.

Nice looking Car with Chrome bumpers had cool styles to them. Not every car look like another car like we see now.

Being a child of the 80s, I have lots of fond memories.

TV shows - Perfect Strangers, Family Ties, and Growing Pains just to name a few.

Cartoons - Transformers, including the 86 movie! He-Man, Thundercats, Mysterious Cities of Gold, and lots of others

Movies - Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Teen Wolf, Weekend at Bernie's, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, and my favorite Amadeus!

Ronaldus Magnus (Ronald Reagan) was a childhood hero of mine and made me into a political junkie.

Music - Huey Lewis, Bruce Hornsby, a-ha, B-52s, The Bangles, Belinda Carlisle, Billy Joel, The Cars, Hall & Oats, and so many more!

Commodore 64, NES, and other new technologies at the time.

Too many things to list!!