Thread: FiOS Speed Troubles

Thumbs down FiOS Speed Troubles

I have a computer with FiOS and signed for the 150/64 package, and my Ethernet card is only rated for 10/100 speeds, so do you think if I replace the card with a 10/100/1000 Gigibit card that the speeds will go up? Or could it be FiOS's end? I am trying to find the problem, but no joy.

StripesTheSkunk

Well, Verizon sells routers with Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000) capabilities (See Actiontec MI424WR Rev G), so I would assume that FiOS would support the faster speeds.

Actiontec MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router with Gigabit Ethernet

Yes on the ethernet card as well as any intermediary network gear (router, switch, cabling), though keep in mind you can only get data as fast as someone is sending it.

If you're getting 50 to 66 mbit/sec (6.25 to 8.25 mbytes per second) down then yes, your NIC is the bottleneck. The network is only as fast as its weakest link though, so as BoundCoder said, you have to check any switches/hubs/routers between your PC and the FiOS modem.

Quote Originally Posted by gccradio2010 View Post
    I have a computer with FiOS and signed for the 150/64 package, and my Ethernet card is only rated for 10/100 speeds, so do you think if I replace the card with a 10/100/1000 Gigibit card that the speeds will go up? Or could it be FiOS's end? I am trying to find the problem, but no joy.
    Remember, you'll want a CAT6 cable for this. CAT5/5e is great, but not really up to gigabit.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Remember, you'll want a CAT6 cable for this. CAT5/5e is great, but not really up to gigabit.
    It makes no difference. Just FYI. You're not going to get 100Mb/s to your system in this. Yes the extra bandwidth helps but meh. Don't need to really upgrade it so long as it's cat5e.

Cat 5e is suitable for up to 1Gb/s; Cat 6 is suitable for up to 10Gb/s (and last time I looked was a lot more expensive).

Tiny is correct, cat5e is perfectly suitable for gigabit. cat5 is not, however.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Cat 5e is suitable for up to 1Gb/s; Cat 6 is suitable for up to 10Gb/s (and last time I looked was a lot more expensive).
    Argh. Right.

5e is what I'd string between the computer and gigabit router. All I know is that my current cable won't cut it (a spool of 5).