Thread: Shortwave Radio Listening

Thumbs up Shortwave Radio Listening

I just want to know if any one out there has a short wave radio receiver and does anybody know how to use it. I will be around to help you with it even if you found one at the Thrift Store that works and you bought it, but don't know where to tune. I have been doing this hobby for a very long time and I want to share it with others here.

I have been tuning around and since I got FiOS my listening has been better since then, I have been hearing the 40 meter band using SSB which is 7.0 to 7.4 MHz single side band mostly at night. This time, there is nothing to listen to because of the heat and propagation. But I would be more motivated if I can meet others here who do this hobby.

Well although I've yet to get into this hobby I'll definately consult you when I aquire a short-wave someday.

As this thread will probably turn into an orgy of, "yeah! I've always wanted to do that!!" (including my knee-jerk reaction) ... are there any good sites you could recommend that cover what a beginner will want to know, look for, do, and plan to do?

The prospect of shortwave is something that has always fascinated me; it is one reason why I learned several languages in my youth.

Getting into this hobby is not as hard as going to the store and buying a radio with the short wave bands. You can find alot of radios with the basic every day SW 1 and SW 2 bands, especially on cassette/CD boomboxes. It should not be just a hobby it should be part of a listener requirement such as tuning into short wave and hearing what you can receive. Shortwave is like AM radio, you will talk shows, news casts, foreign ethnic programming, pirate radio, ham radio operators, and utility signals at 3 to 30 MHz. And the most thing you can do for your radio is put up a long wire across the room using hook up wire up to 10 to 30 feet or more and use a alligator clip. Conditions such as the weather bring in the stations better at night and during the day time . YOu can just get a CX-39 and get started in tuning in the dial that is different from AM and FM. I have started tuning in back in 1987 and I have been interested in it ever since. It's like AM radio, but you can hear the world instead of just your local AM station.s Also you can build yourself a short wave radio just for fun. It's so easy even a child can do it, when I was 6 years old I did hear SW before back in 1985, but my parents kept me away from their boombox when I was 5 years old. They should of gave me small short wave radio and tought me what it was.

A good place to start is here
    American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO
    If you are really interested, get in touch with your local Ham club. You will find someone there that is willing to answer your questions and help.
    They are a good bunch of people and are always ready to help a new comer.

Ham radio is hard to do. Why? First of all who has time to study for a FCC license? Also who has the money to buy the kits or equipment and antennas to start a station? And also it costs less money to receive than to transmit. Also there are numorous rules, regulations, and a very very complicated test which I have really study. I cannot even earned my GED yet and the test has complicated math questions. I prefer to tune the dial than to talk and not get in touch with anyone most of the hams if I was on the air would treat me like a newbie like the chat room that got disable here in the group. Also don't forget I have very limited space and income and I have to be quiet and not talk too much so listening is better for me when my girlfriend is watching TV. I might do it one day, but someone has to tutor me and I have to study morse code for a privileges.

I think in large part, the internet has obsoleted what attracted me to short wave and amateur radio 50 years ago. Listening to Radio Moscow, BBC, Voice of America, etc in the early to mid '60's was beyond cool. Communicating with people on the other side of the world on 40 meters was awesome. Today, its still cool for tech geeks, but its not the same.

Well, I think pirate radio on 42 meters will come back this Halloween and will attract SSB mode listeners if they tune to 6925 kHz and 6950, 6955 kHz. The broadcasters well, the internet is falling apart due to frequent power outages and emergencies. I think ham radio will be a major part of short wave radio, but the broadcasters need to keep their stations on the air and also add new ones. DRM from what I have heard is starting to become a dead horse.

I remember that I started short wave radio in 1985, but did not understand what I was tuning in and I was 5 years old, but my parents would not let me play with their boombox, so in 1987 I was 10 years old they trusted me with the boombox and I was tuning around on the short wave bands like surfing the web. I was hearing broadcasts that I don't normally hear on AM radio. I did not know about antennas, but the whip antenna while collapsed was still picking up signals in the apartment. In 1988 I was still into it and listened for a while until something happenned with the radio so I dropped out of it until my stepfather fixed it. In 1991 I built my own radio that used only 1 transistor and it was tuning what ever came in. I wish could taped it, but did not know how to convert earphone audio into line out audio. I also owned a radio that was a piece of junk and had very poor AM reception, but very interesting short wave image reception. The boom box was not used until 1992. In 1992 I got it back after the move and then I had to improve reception during the summer time of 1992, but the radio overloaded, but it was good. I wanted to get something like a LW radio such as the DX-380, but the price had to make me wait until Christmas of 1992. When I received the DX-380, I was very happy with it, that I wanted to improve LW reception, but did not know how. Did not discover loop antennas until 1996 and the internet in 1998. But anyways I was using my existing experimental long wire antenna that the school bullies kepts on messing with. Then I started messing up the DX-380 by connecting the wire the wrong way burning the RF transistor out. So I had to deal with being without the PH-405 and had to deal with strong signal reception on the DX-380. I needed another radio, because I did not know what was wrong the radio, so I had to ask for a DX-390 with SSB and better reception. I got the DX-390 for Christmas I was very happy. I took it in the room and hooked up my antenna from outdoors, pulled in signals way better than the DX-380. I did receive many Ham radio transmissions on 80 meters during Christmas, it was a great DX experinence. I need to get that radio back soon in great condition. I have had the DX-390 from 1993 to 1999, then got a DX-398, but the radio started to wear out and the DX-392 was doing good, but the cassette recorder started to wear out. Through the years I have been listening from 1987 to the present. And if I get a new house there will be antennas up like a ham radio operator.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    I think in large part, the internet has obsoleted what attracted me to short wave and amateur radio 50 years ago. Listening to Radio Moscow, BBC, Voice of America, etc in the early to mid '60's was beyond cool. Communicating with people on the other side of the world on 40 meters was awesome. Today, its still cool for tech geeks, but its not the same.
    Short wave I would agree.

Amateur radio though, I think the appeal has always been the geekiness of it, not the utility. It is one of the last great geek hobbies. It is literally a huge chunk of spectrum set aside for us to geek out in. Unlike most other geeky hobbies, it also still requires a semi-serious investment in time and brain power to get into. As other traditional geeky areas have become businesses (most things computer fall under this category.. ) it's still a bastion of pure geek that has been mostly untouched by corporate interests and cost efficiency analysts.

And interestingly enough, I think it is on the rise for these reasons: First Half of 2010 Sees Upswing in New Amateur Radio Licensees