Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Fursona

Arrow Creating a Fursona

The Furry Fandom is brainwashing people at an alarming rate and I see this topic come up a lot among the newer furbies. So for your information I present to you:

Creating a Fursona 101

So, you have decided to join the wonderful world of being a Furry? I bet you are wondering “Well what do I do now?” Well that answer is simple. If you have not already, it is time to create an animal representation of yourself or a Fursona and I am going to give you a step by step process of how to accomplish this task. Pen and paper ready?

1) Choosing a Species

Before we do anything, you are going to need to choose a species. This is most commonly the most difficult thing a Furry faces, but it does not have to be. This can be anything you want! Choose your favorite animal or one that you feel represents you. There are tons of animals to choose from, including birds, reptiles, sea creatures and even POKEMON. Stuck on 2 or even 3 of your favorites? No worries! A Fursona allows you to mix and match. How about a lion with wings and a unicorn horn? Coming right up! Nothing is off limits. Some people have even gone as far to create their own species.
    Sergals are a mix between the creature from Aliens and a kitten.

2) What do you look like?

Got your species picked out? Now let’s add some flair! (7 piece minimum…High five if you got the office space reference.)
    Let’s start by picking a design. Does your Fursona have any stripes, markings, shapes, scars, hairstyles? Are you more realistic or cartoonish? Feral or Anthro? Digitigrade or Plantigrade legs? Finally how old is your Fursona? This will decide whether or not you are a Babyfur/Littlefur. But be warned that if you ever get a Fursuit of your character that as complexity goes up, so does the cost.

Feral is your Fursona being more animal than human. Walking on all fours is generally the biggest give away. Anthro is your Fursona being more human than animal. Walking on two legs is the give away here.

Digitigrade stance is where your Fursona walks with his/her weight on their toes and the heel is slightly elevated from the ground. Plantigrade stance is how we as humans walk. Foot is flat on the ground and no curve to the leg.

You are also allowed to create several versions of your Fursona if you can’t choose between some of the options. Many Babyfurs/Littlefurs do this, an adult version and a younger version.

If at any point you are having trouble describing aspects of your Fursona, try drawing them out. Furaffinity has several free templates you can use for several different species of characters. Just be sure to give credit to the artist who created the template. Even if you cannot draw, this can help so if you hire an artist to draw your Fursona, they can get you want you want.

3) Color

Design complete? Let’s have fun with color. By now you should have learned that it is up to you. Pick colors you love or just use natural colors and keep it simple. It is a good idea to try to not pick too many colors as it will cause your character to look cluttered and hard to look at. Again remember that if you plan on having a suit made, the more colors the more expensive it is going to cost.

4) Personality

You are almost done! Time to create a personality, which will include likes, dislikes, shortcomings and strengths. You may be asking “why does my character need shortcomings?” Well nobody is perfect and you should try to make your Fursona relatable. Give your Fursona a back story. Have a scar? Tell us how it got there. Adding details is key to making your Fursona interesting. You want something that people will look at and go “Hey, neat!” not “oh, uh cool I guess.”

5) Clothing optional.

Finally, does your Fursona wear clothing? Nothing is more fun than dressing up your Fursona. Be it a sports jersey, hat, coat, shoes, pants, swimming trunks, sunglasses, or a cape and a mask, maybe your Fursona likes to prance around in just his/her undies. You can accessorize your Fursona with just about anything.

6) Name

This is the last step in creating a Fursona fit for a Furry. This is perhaps the most important bit of information. Your Fursona is going to need a name. Use your name, pick a name that you find interesting or has meaning to you. Still having trouble? Not to fear, pick an adjective that describes your Fursona and then grab a thesaurus. Remember that the name you choose is not like the ones your parents gave you (permanent) It can be changed at any time. Just refrain from doing it too often or you risk confusing people.

You have now created your Fursona, sit back and admire your work.
    Your Fursona is not set in stone and nothing says you can’t have more than one. Changes can always be made to looks or personality.

Finding it difficult to keep track of all your information? Furaffinity Forums has a Bio Form which can be found here:

Just for kicks...Bio form

Just copy and paste the form where ever you please and fill out and repeat as necessary.

Your only limitation is your (Cue Spongebob) IMAAAGIIINAAATIONNNN! *little rainbow*

I would submit this as an article, but it comes up short and would likely get turned away. So if anyone has anything they think I should add or change let me know and I will take your thoughts into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    The Furry Fandom is brainwashing people at an alarming rate
    Brainwashing? Who told you-

Err... I mean, we merely chill on our side of the interwebs. It's not our fault if anyone voluntarily makes a journey over.

There is absolutely no form of kidnapping involved! Honest!

This would have definitely helped me decide on my fursona when I was first starting out I've been a wolf, a fox, a skunk, a raccoon, a border collie, a bear and now I'm a kangaroo XD

Hey this is good, it should be made an article. And the fandom is growing pretty quick, not sure about the brainwashing... Taking over the world maybe... XD

Quote Originally Posted by MrTall View Post
    Hey this is good, it should be made an article. And the fandom is growing pretty quick, not sure about the brainwashing... Taking over the world maybe... XD
    Nefariously taking over the world...

Quote Originally Posted by Okamiyasha View Post
    Nefariously taking over the world...
    Don't worry 2 has it all worked out... Anthrocon 2010 - 2 the Ranting Gryphon Part 1 - YouTube

Hah, while watching starcraft today I got bored and started fooling around with furry creatures in gimp. I actually skipped most steps, fell back on some childhood memories and came up with him:

He still needs a name though.

//e and something else :3

Oh well, I'll stop spamming strange pictures now.
    Last edited by kapi; 07-Jul-2012 at 01:25.

Hey there WingDog......

as you seem to be the "go-to" authority on this subject matter. and as i have watched and read a good deal of your posted material sense i joined this forum. i have a question about fursona's.....

what is it when a child-alter/little decides to adopt the complete personality and character of ..... say.... a fictional animal in a elaborate story. maybe even a book that was later made into a movie...... and said child-alter/little has been living that life for many many years...... can that be called a legitimate fursona?

lodge wrecker.....

Quote Originally Posted by littlelodgewrecker View Post
    Hey there WingDog......

as you seem to be the "go-to" authority on this subject matter. and as i have watched and read a good deal of your posted material sense i joined this forum. i have a question about fursona's.....

what is it when a child-alter/little decides to adopt the complete personality and character of ..... say.... a fictional animal in a elaborate story. maybe even a book that was later made into a movie...... and said child-alter/little has been living that life for many many years...... can that be called a legitimate fursona?

lodge wrecker.....
    Well I see no problem with it. A fursona is anything and everything you want it to be. People have Pokemon for their Fursona's and some people have My Little Pony characters. Even if you wanted you could take the personality and put it into your own creation.

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    Well I see no problem with it. A fursona is anything and everything you want it to be. People have Pokemon for their Fursona's and some people have My Little Pony characters. Even if you wanted you could take the personality and put it into your own creation.
    Thank You, WingDog.....