Thread: Patching Up Teddy Bears?

Default Patching Up Teddy Bears?

So I just bought this lil' guy!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-06-30 20.19.12.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	13110
    I just know something bad is going to eventually happen to him. (Namely my mothers dog who chews on anything slightly resembling a toy!) So I was wondering if anyone had in Teddy Bear Care and Repair tips! If I get enough good info I want to compile it into a how to guide. If it's all ready been done, please point me in the right direction!
    THANK YOU!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-06-30 20.19.12.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	13109  

Oh man! I worry about that so much!
    I have a collection of plushies

I would suggest asking people who work with fursuits and the like. Or even people who make custom plushies all over Deviantart! The fursuits in particular because furry first aid is something they do for a living. I can't tell you how many 'emergency' patch ups I've seen at conventions in the headless lounges. Quick fixes or long term fixes of all shapes and sizes could be found fixing different types of problems from falling off fur to holes in the foam.

Also it may sound a bit like a cop out, but Google or contacting people through sites like Etsy.com could help. Both places could help you find people who know a thing or two about that trusty ol' needle and thread!

Sorry I couldn't help directly. But in situations like that, I try to point the people in the right direction!

I do a lot of hand sewing, fabric repair, and have created furry paws and ears before so I can probably be a lot of help to you. However, that picture doesn't say a whole lot of what's wrong with him so if you could outline the issues in detail that would be great. I'm not sure what "patching" needs to be done. I can sort of see some sort of blemish on his chest...or that's trick of the light...

I the only thing I got going off that picture is that he looks a little dirty. If his stuffing isn't falling out or has rips anywhere, you can spot clean with like a tide pen or machine wash him on the gentle cylce and tumble dry either low heat or just air. I've done that with plenty of my old plushes so should be fine.

He's not torn up... yet. I just wanted to create a sort of how to guide in case anything happened. I thought it would be cool and useful. I expect at some point something may happen and I'll be prepared.

Simple keep him away from demon dog

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Generally, the best way to wash a soft toy is with a warm damp cloth, and lots and lots of time. I wouldn't recommend putting fragile toys in the washing machine, and certain types of stuffing will disintigrate in a washing machine as well, although I couldn't tell you what (I can recognise the feel of it though!)

Quote Originally Posted by Cody1621 View Post
    He's not torn up... yet. I just wanted to create a sort of how to guide in case anything happened. I thought it would be cool and useful. I expect at some point something may happen and I'll be prepared.
    Oh. Well to be honest if you take the time to learn how to hand sew (different stitching, tying of stitching) and cleaning and maintaining fabric would be easily applied to maintaining the plush over the course of it's life. I'm not actually sure what would be best on reattaching eyes not sewed on, though hot glue or some type of "fabric glue" would suffice. Little tricks like that go a long way.