Thread: Concidering Switching to Cloth Diapers

Default Concidering Switching to Cloth Diapers

I've mainly used Disposables my entire life, but I recently bought a couple cloth diapers off a site called Baby Pants, Adult Size Baby Products just to see what they are like, and I must say I am super impressed. They are super comfortable, and highly absorbant. Plus the Bulk really makes me feel like a baby The only downside honestly is you cant just take them off and throw them away like disposables.

Being I'm stuck in bed for a while Absorbancy is key for me and I have had no issues, even without plastic pants on. So is there anyone out there who too thinks Cloth Diapers are superior to Disposable? Is it worth spending the money on them? I think they would pay for themselves in time. Let me know what you think and if its really worth while using cloth diapers.

I tried switching for a while, but found that I was not too much impressed with always doing laundry lol drat me being lazy.. Let us know how it works out for you tho

You should try the Cloth Diapers from nice diaper off of ebay. They are very soft and pretty thick and absorbent, they have winnie the pooh one that I have tried and I am very happy with it. I'm not a laundry fan myself.

I am a big fan of cloth diapers. Financially, the math can work even if you're using coin laundry to wash your cloth diapers. When I was living in an apartment, it was 2.50 for me to do a load of laundry with the laundry machines in my building (1.25 for wash, 1.25 for dry). So, for 2.50, I could wash enough cloth diapers for about five very thick nights' worth of diapers. Compare that to the 1.3x per piece for Abena X-Plus, and the math comes out in your favor surprisingly quickly, even considering $100-150 for an initial cloth diaper and plastic pant purchase to get up up and diapered. If you're in your own place with your own laundry machines, then the math works out even more favorably for cloth. Yeah, one could really get into it and try to figure out the electric costs and detergent costs and water bill costs versus shipping or fuel costs versus bla bla blah, but those costs are so minor that I don't see the need to go that far.

But moving past the math, I love how cloth diapers work and feel much more than disposables. I prefer flat diapers, which I can then fold and layer as thick as I want. If I want to go to a movie, I can do a thin diaper that will fit under my pants with only some obvious bulk. If I want something super-thick that I don't want to have to change for the evening or for bed, I can layer up something with literally inches of bulk. I love how when I've done a good cloth diaper with a good plastic pant, I can sleep however I want and not worry about leaking. I love how they feel fluffy when they're dry, and I love how I can feel them doing their business and how I can tell if I need a change or not.

Personally, I don't find the laundry to be a big deal. Dump the pail into the wash machine, make sure the load is balanced, add soap, push the buttons, walk away. I go into the laundering a bit more in my All About Cloth Diapers article. Like I said, I don't find it to be too big of a deal, myself.

So yeah, I wholeheartedly recommend cloth diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    one could really get into it and try to figure out the electric costs and detergent costs and water bill costs versus shipping or fuel costs versus bla bla blah, but those costs are so minor that I don't see the need to go that far.
    me neither: just wash them while you shower/bathe/wash, hand-wring and then hang to dry. and if you're using a towel for a nappy, a quick rinse and then a throw it in with the rest of the laundry. easy-peasy.
    the only real costs i've ever encountered with trads is the plastic-pants. everything can be sourced from around the home; and plastic-pants can be homemade.