Thread: Little Concerned

Default Little Concerned

I have been fighting with the doctors for several years now to figure out what is causing sudden almost crippling pain on one side of my body and recently they have finally decided that this may be nerve damage or Spinal column damage.

I noticed that I am having an increased problem with my IC and am starting to get concerned. The doctor does not want to do anything yet about this as they are more concerned with finding the cause of the pain at the moment.

Sorry to hear about your pain issues, Jayme. I know what you mean by "fighting with the doctors", as I have been in a similar boat for the past two or three years. Not knowing the cause of real symptoms is, at least for me unsettling, and when a doctor says "No, it's impossible to be this, it's psychosymatic", when it turns out you have a legitimate problem can be pretty damn aggravating, as well as causing some distrust in the doctor.

As far as doctors not wanting to do anything about a condition, I know how it feels. Since discovering the tumor in my head all the doctors have said that despite causing episodes of debilitating vertigo about once weekly, that they don't want to touch it because I still have some hearing left in that ear can be aggrivating, so with a problem such as incontinence I can't even fathom how upsetting it can be to have it grow worse while doctors say to leave it.

My advice to you that I have found work for me the best is to just hang in there and try not to think about it too much, and get a second opinion. If both doctors say the same thing, you can rest assured that they know what they're doing, and that your best bet to being healthy and being cured of your ailments is to do as they advise. It might be the harder route then finding one that will fix it immediately, but in my opinion it's the better route.

Best of wishes, and I hope that you will get an answer to your medical issues soon, and a cure/treatment as well,
    ~Teslacoil4148

Quote Originally Posted by Jayme View Post
    I have been fighting with the doctors for several years now to figure out what is causing sudden almost crippling pain on one side of my body and recently they have finally decided that this may be nerve damage or Spinal column damage.

I noticed that I am having an increased problem with my IC and am starting to get concerned. The doctor does not want to do anything yet about this as they are more concerned with finding the cause of the pain at the moment.
    It's more worrying that your doc is ignoring the IC, as this could be part and parcel of the suspected nerve or spinal cord damage, it would probably play a big part in diagnostic procedures as it would give a good idea of WHERE the damage is.

Can I be rude and ask if you have had an accident, that would cause such damage, otherwise why has the doctor come to this conclusion?

There are plentiful reasons why you could be suffering such pain. Without an MRI, lumbar puncture, or other diagnostic testing it would be impossible to conclude that this is the reason behind your pain, or did you miss out the full story and not state what you have gone through to find this conclusion?

It has taken my doctors, Neurological team, Rheumatic Team, Orthopaedic Team, Neuro-psychology Team, Psychiatrists and various testing throughout all those departments, (lumbar puncture, MRIs - 4 x neck, 2 x spine, 1 x lumbar, 2 x knee and 2 x head, CAT scan on head, and lungs, various blood testing, like about 30 tests, various X-rays, electronic nerve stimulation tests, ENT department tests, Optical testing, ECG's, the epilepsy test, (can't remember what it was called, but they tested responses to different stimulants in my brain.) and various other tests... ) FOUR years to diagnose my illnesses. Even now, some of my symptoms are left with a question mark over them. (Undiagnosed)

Just showing how much testing can go into diagnosing a problem...

I'm not doubting you, I'm just confused, obviously if you've had two years of various testing, then I will understand the diagnosis, if not then I'm really confused as to how your doctor has diagnosed the problem.

I'll await your reply before I say anything else.

Sent from my ZT ICS using Tapatalk 2

The first injury to my knee was in 2000 where I tore the Miniscus. That repair was done in 2001, yet in 2003 I had an undiagnosed injury to the same knee. Since then I have had countless MRI's 2 Cortisone injections, Several Physical Therapy sessions, Casts all with no results. After the second Cortisone shot the doctor is now suspecting nerve damage because of the pain and location. In 2004 I had a doctor screw up a lower lumbar puncture (spinal tap) where he bent the needle trying to remove it from my spine.

The pain is only located on the left side of my body and affects all the joints. The doctors have no clue as to why it is just localized to that area.

BabyPikachu

Quote Originally Posted by Jayme View Post

Well as Doctors are, they dont like seeing their patients in pain. So I can see why their main focus would be to get the pain to stop. Another concideration could be they think the IC is being caused by your pain. I still understand your frustration as I have been IC for a very long time and have had numerous doctors want to focus "elsewhere".