Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The legality of male circumcision.

Default The legality of male circumcision.

Do you think it should be legal for parents to circumcise infant children.

Circumcision is basically a cosmetic procedure, that is inflicted on babies, without their consent.

Do you think parents who do this in the name of their culture or religion should be allowed to. Or do you think they should have to wait till the child is old enough to make their own informed decision?

I always said if I had a boy I would leave him to make his own decision and we would pay for the procedure. I did a TON of research and found that the forskin is there to basically make the penis an internal organ. The nerve endings are to be kept moist and covered except during an erection. Supposedly there is damage to the nerves and therefor feeling is not the same. I figured it is not my penis to change, I wouldn't alter my daughter's vagina, why would I do that to my son. Besides penises are ugly forskin or not lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckyDucky View Post
    I always said if I had a boy I would leave him to make his own decision and we would pay for the procedure. I did a TON of research and found that the forskin is there to basically make the penis an internal organ. The nerve endings are to be kept moist and covered except during an erection. Supposedly there is damage to the nerves and therefor feeling is not the same. I figured it is not my penis to change, I wouldn't alter my daughter's vagina, why would I do that to my son. Besides penises are ugly forskin or not lol.
    Rub the palm of your hand with a single finger. That nice tingly feeling you get is what the penis is made up of and is what it feels, only with a much stronger sensation than that. However, that sensation is almost completely lost without the foreskin. I was circumcised. I don't even know why, I'm not Jewish and my mother's religion certainty doesn't call for it.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    Rub the palm of your hand with a single finger. That nice tingly feeling you get is what the penis is made up of and is what it feels, only with a much stronger sensation than that. However, that sensation is almost completely lost without the foreskin. I was circumcised. I don't even know why, I'm not Jewish and my mother's religion certainty doesn't call for it.
    My husbands family is under the impression that circumcision reduces cancer and infection. They were not impressed with me when I had a lot of information on that being totally false. When I told them we don't alter vaginas to make them "look nicer" why should we be doing it to a penis I sparked a fire lol. I didn't pierce my daughter's ears when she was a baby because those are not mine to make that decision, I feel the same about a boys penis. It is his not mine, I shouldn't have the right to alter it because it will "look better".

It should be legal, but I don't think doctors should make up BS about the "benefits" of it to parents of newborn boys. The only medical benefit is preventing phimosis, but that's like removing someone's kidney at birth to prevent kidney failure. I think if parents really knew what they were doing to their boys and weren't convinced that circumcision prevents diseases (or weren't compelled to do it because they think everybody else has their boys circumcised) it'd be done almost 100% due to religious reasons. Like I said, the only real medical need is in extreme cases where phimosis has to be treated and nothing else works.

I honestly feel like infant circumcision should ideally be banned unless there is a medical reason for it. We shouldn't allow parents to force their children to receive a cosmetic surgery in the name of a religion the child doesn't even have the capacity to understand. Some people may say that banning infant circumcision is going against the parent's religious rights, but what about the child's religious rights, and his right to chose what goes on in his own body?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brickhouse View Post
    It should be legal, but I don't think doctors should make up BS about the "benefits" of it to parents of newborn boys. The only medical benefit is preventing phimosis, but that's like removing someone's kidney at birth to prevent kidney failure. I think if parents really knew what they were doing to their boys and weren't convinced that circumcision prevents diseases (or weren't compelled to do it because they think everybody else has their boys circumcised) it'd be done almost 100% due to religious reasons. Like I said, the only real medical need is in extreme cases where phimosis has to be treated and nothing else works.
    Fun fact: I got circumcised right before puberty for that very reason. My parents never bothered to tell me that I needed to retract my foreskin to clean that area and, well, I never did retract my foreskin. Eventually lead to all kinds of nastiness. It wasn't particularly fun and I really wish someone had told me as a child how to take care of my pipi bits. Too late for that now *sigh*

Apparently I'm circumcised (is this a catholic thing too??). I honestly don't have a problem with it and the anatomical diagrams of an uncircumcised penis don't really look that desirable to me. That aside I would be in favor of whatever option is safer medically.

The diagrams make it look like it is far more difficult to keep an uncircumcised penis clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    I honestly feel like infant circumcision should ideally be banned unless there is a medical reason for it. We shouldn't allow parents to force their children to receive a cosmetic surgery in the name of a religion the child doesn't even have the capacity to understand. Some people may say that banning infant circumcision is going against the parent's religious rights, but what about the child's religious rights, and his right to chose what goes on in his own body?
    I concur with this 100% I don't know what I'm missing (besides the additional skin) though, and experiences vary. I can't figure any solid reason that I was 'done' and my brother was not...wasn't religion, or medical...

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Fun fact: I got circumcised right before puberty for that very reason. My parents never bothered to tell me that I needed to retract my foreskin to clean that area and, well, I never did retract my foreskin. Eventually lead to all kinds of nastiness. It wasn't particularly fun and I really wish someone had told me as a child how to take care of my pipi bits. Too late for that now *sigh*
    Sorry to hear that... I can imagine that it wasn't fun at all.