Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech school vs College

Question Tech school vs College

So it's getting very close to the next school year for colleges and tech schools alike. And I am faced with one huge decision: To join a tech school and live in an apartment alone, or go to a local college and live in a dorm with a roommate.

Both schools offer degrees similar to eachother: Multimedia graphic design, or communication art & design (I have no idea WHY it has the word communication in it...). The Tech school supposedly has a great art program and doesn't accept everybody and actually needs to look at the portfolio of incoming students.

Anyways, what is your opinion? Do you prefer tech schools or colleges/universities? Any opinions would be appreciated.

CrinklySiren

I would strongly advise not going to tech schools or any of those schools advertised on TV or ads, I would suggest either going to the community college or a high end university because from what ive learned, tech schools are for profit schools and are considered "vocational" meaning if you try to transfer to a commmunity college or a local collge/university, they wont take ANY of your credits except maybe a few, and you will have to do all the pointless classes again (by pointless I mean academic classes like math, science, english, speech, leadership) and you waste your money on paying for those classes...

I know this because I went through this, I went to what I thought was a high end university (johnson and wales) and it turned out to be a for profit vocational school.. Now I owe 22,000 dollars and I had to retake all those pointless classes except for english. and I had to pay all over again for those things that I had already taken. Just something to consider.

- - - Updated - - -

As tempting as it may be to go and live in an apartment alone to express yourself freely, its more beneficial towards your future goals and monetary needs if you dont. Im not the only one who has had this problem, i have like 8 friends who went to vocational universities and had to go through hell when they transfered AS WELL as owing a ridiculous amount of money that they will probably never pay off in their life. Luckily for me I got out while I was up, so I dont owe an outrageous amount of money, (dont get me wrong 22,000 is alot, but its also a lot less than 150,000 or 300,000 in loans that most of my friends owe the banks and the schools and the loan foundations)

Don't go anywhere private, you will get ripped off. Most private colleges or "tech schools" are only interested in getting as much money out of you as possible. Many such institutions' credits are non-transferable, as Amk said. They deliberately keep themselves unaccredited or partially accredited in order to discourage students from transferring elsewhere.

Don't be fooled by flashy marketing. No single piece of paper is going to be a magic bullet that will instantly make you successful.

The only truly "high-end" places in the US are the Ivy League, MIT, Caltech, and a few of the major state universities. If you're not planning on getting into one of those, then go wherever is cheapest.

I would advise you, based on what I know, to go to community college, and transfer to a four-year institution at the end of the two years. The degree you get after four years will be exactly the same as the degree anyone else gets, and you save a load of money.

Tech Schools are expensive yet a good option for those just seeking training, trying to get into another field or have time constraints. However, I would not recommend it to one just getting out of high school, only reason I went the tech school route is cause I tried the CC/4 year way, job corps (closest thing to a government run trade school the US has) and nothing had come from them.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterPython View Post
    Do they have State run trade and technical schools in the US?
    Yes, the USA has both public 4-year universities as well as trade schools.

Quote Originally Posted by CrinklyAMK
    I would strongly advise not going to tech schools or any of those schools advertised on TV or ads
    This. A for-profit college is generally after nothing but money, especially those advertised on TV. A good school shouldn't have to advertise.

As tempting as it may be to go and live in an apartment alone to express yourself freely, its more beneficial towards your future goals and monetary needs if you dont.
    Also, this. Dorms aren't necessarily cheaper, either. If you can find a cheap two-room apartment and somebody to split the rent with, go for it. I have a friend who's going to the same university that I am, and I'm going to be paying $400 a month to live in a real house, so $4800 a year. He's paying $3000 a semester just to share a room, and that doesn't include summer months.

dont get me wrong 22,000 is alot, but its also a lot less than 150,000 or 300,000 in loans that most of my friends owe the banks and the schools and the loan foundations
    I balked at this. This either an out right extreme exaggeration, or your friends are stupid. The average debt on graduation is currently around $24k. The only way I could imagine somebody racking up that amount of debt would be if they were going through med school, maybe law. Putting yourself $150k+ in debt is simply irresponsible unless you have a serious goal in mind.

I've looked at the costs for a few out of state universities back when I wasn't sure if I'd be getting into my first choice, even if you were to calculate for out-of-state tuition for the full four years (which wouldn't happen; after the first year, maybe two, you'd revert to in-state), I'd have issues trying to break the $100k barrier in debt.

it turned out to be a for profit vocational school.. Now I owe 22,000 dollars and I had to retake all those pointless classes except for english
    Idonotthinkthatwordmeanswhatyouthinkitmeans.jpg

A vocational school is a trade school. You do not go to a votech to take further liberal arts classes; you go to a votech to take courses directly related to a profession that you desire to work in. HVAC. Welding. Low-level IT. Nursing. Carpenty. Mechanics. Process Tech.

J&W has none of those courses. They mainly offer 2 and 4 year degree in things like accounting, management, and just a few engineering pathways. They also have some culinary courses.

I feel like I'm going to insult you with this one, so I'd like to apologize in advance. I also don't see what you mean by "high end" university. I can't even find admissions requirements for J&W. They take the ACT/SAT optionally, yet they aren't open admissions.

What also bugs me is that their tuition costs far, far more than my state's flagship. That price is simply absurd.

CrinklySiren

Quote Originally Posted by justhere View Post
    Yes, the USA has both public 4-year universities as well as trade schools.

This. A for-profit college is generally after nothing but money, especially those advertised on TV. A good school shouldn't have to advertise.

Also, this. Dorms aren't necessarily cheaper, either. If you can find a cheap two-room apartment and somebody to split the rent with, go for it. I have a friend who's going to the same university that I am, and I'm going to be paying $400 a month to live in a real house, so $4800 a year. He's paying $3000 a semester just to share a room, and that doesn't include summer months.

I balked at this. This either an out right extreme exaggeration, or your friends are stupid. The average debt on graduation is currently around $24k. The only way I could imagine somebody racking up that amount of debt would be if they were going through med school, maybe law. Putting yourself $150k+ in debt is simply irresponsible unless you have a serious goal in mind.

I've looked at the costs for a few out of state universities back when I wasn't sure if I'd be getting into my first choice, even if you were to calculate for out-of-state tuition for the full four years (which wouldn't happen; after the first year, maybe two, you'd revert to in-state), I'd have issues trying to break the $100k barrier in debt.

Idonotthinkthatwordmeanswhatyouthinkitmeans.jpg

A vocational school is a trade school. You do not go to a votech to take further liberal arts classes; you go to a votech to take courses directly related to a profession that you desire to work in. HVAC. Welding. Low-level IT. Nursing. Carpenty. Mechanics. Process Tech.

J&W has none of those courses. They mainly offer 2 and 4 year degree in things like accounting, management, and just a few engineering pathways. They also have some culinary courses.

I feel like I'm going to insult you with this one, so I'd like to apologize in advance. I also don't see what you mean by "high end" university. I can't even find admissions requirements for J&W. They take the ACT/SAT optionally, yet they aren't open admissions.

What also bugs me is that their tuition costs far, far more than my state's flagship. That price is simply absurd.
    Lol dont worry you didnt insult me. I never meant to make J&W sound like a high end school, funny enough I was actually trying to state the latter, that it iSNT a high end school and that I wasted my time and money because when I transfered it didnt mean shit

and as for the loan debts... i wish i was exaggerating >_< maybe im exagerating by a bit, but i promise you i have friends who went to full sail that owe about 100k in loans.. unless they are lying to me :P

Quote Originally Posted by justhere View Post
    Of course, many universities and four-year colleges now force their first-years to stay in dorm, in yet another effort to squeeze money out of them. All the more reason to go to community college.

More importantly, OP: Is cost a major factor in your decision? What's your family's income? What sort of scholarships do you have? Are both of the schools you're looking at private? Have you already applied, or are you coming late to the game?

Here's another thing to consider with public votech schools: their goal is to put out skilled labor for the community. Their funding relies on exactly that.

That said, I don't hold any form of schooling above the other. Some people are better with academics, others are more inclined to hands-on work.

I went through this when my daughter went to pharmacy school.
    What to consider;
    First what is the best school for what you want to do.
    What is the cost.
    What can you expect to earn on graduation.
    How successfully are students being placed in jobs after graduation.
    Don't over extend yourself on debt, private or otherwise.
    If you consider these thing you will come up with a school that gives you the best education for what you can afford.