Thread: Cloth backed diaper question.

Default Cloth backed diaper question.

So When I wet my cloth backed diapers why doesn't the cloth backing get wet? I realize the SAP absorbs and distributes the wetness. However if they leak it tends to go out one of the sides. And how far do I poke holes in my diapers to have them lead through to the second one?

Cushiebabe

Quote Originally Posted by maxipoo View Post
    So When I wet my cloth backed diapers why doesn't the cloth backing get wet? I realize the SAP absorbs and distributes the wetness. However if they leak it tends to go out one of the sides. And how far do I poke holes in my diapers to have them lead through to the second one?
    Why would you be wearing two diapers?

Quote Originally Posted by Cushiebabe View Post
    Why would you be wearing two diapers?
    Generic diapers dont hold a lot so generally people wear two and poke holes in one to add absorbancy.

The cloth-like backing on generic diapers is actually a multi-layer weave of plastic and synthetic material. This is supposed to form a waterproof barrier, though it doesn't always achieve the desired result. It sounds like the backing is holding up OK in your case, though I've had it fail and actually had wetness weep out through the backing. This has forced me to double up on the generic briefs, too, when I wear them.
    Another problem with the cloth-like backing is it acts like fine-grain sandpaper against your thighs, so you may find chafing to be an issue if you're doing anything athletic or active.

As far as poking holes, take an exacto knife or other sharp instrument and gently cut through the backing far enough that you can feel the fibers of the stuffing. You'll be able to feel when that happens. Don't push the blade up through the topsheet, though, or you'll have fibers and gel crystals all over your skin.

Hope this is helpful!

I use Lille Supreme Forms which are cloth backed and I've never had a problem with them seeping through the backing. The only leaks I've ever had with them have been at the leg cuffs.

I never had success with doubling up in the manner you describe, found that it would leak between the two diapers before the second one was fully wet. However I do sometimes use a stuffer and I've even on occasion stuffed with another diaper of the same size (though I had to chop off a couple of inches at front and back so the stuffer would fit).