Thread: Questions regarding bottle sizes

Default Questions regarding bottle sizes

Hello Adisc,

I have a question for the baby bottle enthusiasts out there. I recently bought a Nuk Cleft Palate bottle nipple off eBay (picture enclosed). I measured the diameter of the cap to be about 4.2 cm (1.6").

Comparatively speaking, the teat itself is about the same size as a Nuk 5.

I tried Googlez but alas I couldn't find the info I was looking for, I was hoping for some AB expertise from my fellow Adiscers My questions are as follows:

Are baby bottle necks or openings a standard size? Could I simply buy a baby bottle from Wal-Mart and would it fit correctly?

If so, do any of you know where I can get a higher capacity bottle? One that would be able to hold at least 355 ml (12-12.5 oz). Either glass of plastic would be acceptable.

Last but not least;

Does boiling the teat in hot water have any advantages to washing in hot soapy water and a thorough rinse?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Pldc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340203743.250863.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	12855  

Baby bottles are semi-standard. There are normal necks and "wide necks" and most are fairly similar but there is no guarantee that any nipple will transfer from one brand's bottle to another. Trial and error is really the only way to go (as far as I know)

Also as far as I know boiling on it's own is worse. You need soap to get fat/oil off the nipples because fats and oils are non-polar and non-soluble so they won't be "broken up" and cleaned by just water alone. That's why we wash our dishes and hands with soap. And as an adult we don't need our feeding utensils to be perfectly sterile which is the purpose of boiling. So in short, I find boiling to be an annoying non-necissary step.

Quote Originally Posted by pldc View Post
    Hello Adisc,

I have a question for the baby bottle enthusiasts out there. I recently bought a Nuk Cleft Palate bottle nipple off eBay (picture enclosed). I measured the diameter of the cap to be about 4.2 cm (1.6").

Comparatively speaking, the teat itself is about the same size as a Nuk 5.

I tried Googlez but alas I couldn't find the info I was looking for, I was hoping for some AB expertise from my fellow Adiscers My questions are as follows:

Are baby bottle necks or openings a standard size? Could I simply buy a baby bottle from Wal-Mart and would it fit correctly?

If so, do any of you know where I can get a higher capacity bottle? One that would be able to hold at least 355 ml (12-12.5 oz). Either glass of plastic would be acceptable.

Last but not least;

Does boiling the teat in hot water have any advantages to washing in hot soapy water and a thorough rinse?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Pldc
    There is only one bottle I know of that is an adult baby size and that is here.

Adult AB AB/DL Babyfur Baby Bottle | eBay

However it says in the description that you can't use the Nuk 5 bottle nipple with it.. it has it's own nipple. Also the person that is selling this, wrote in this forum I think. Anyways that is the best I can do for now on that part.

There is one more seller on Ebay that sells the bottles with the Nuk 5 nipple and they hold 12 oz of luiquid.

ADULT BABY large (12oz) feeding bottle with large NUK teat in 4 choices colour | eBay

Now to clean in, just clean it like you would any latex nipple or give it a hot soapy bath. I have a Nuk 5 paci and I just wash it in soapy water but you can sterilize your bottle nipple if you want by submerging it in boiling water. Especially if you intend to drink milk and juice. Germs are bad!
    Last edited by AnnBabygurl; 20-Jun-2012 at 22:38.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnBabygurl View Post
    There is only one bottle I know of that is an adult baby size and that is here.

Adult AB AB/DL Babyfur Baby Bottle | eBay

However it says in the description that you can't use the Nuk 5 bottle nipple with it.. it has it's own nipple. Also the person that is selling this, wrote in this forum I think. Anyways that is the best I can do for now on that part.

There is one more seller on Ebay that sells the bottles with the Nuk 5 nipple and they hold 12 oz of luiquid.

ADULT BABY large (12oz) feeding bottle with large NUK teat in 4 choices colour | eBay

Now to clean in, just clean it like you would any latex nipple or give it a hot soapy bath. I have a Nuk 5 paci and I just wash it in soapy water but you can sterilize your bottle nipple if you want by submerging it in boiling water. Especially if you intend to drink milk and juice. Germs are bad!
    I had seen that before, I know somebody on Adisc is selling them. To ship the first bottle to me plus the cost of the bottle itself would cost me around $60, and anything over $50 may be subject to duties. That is one expensive piece of plastic.

The second option looks promising, I will have to look into that.

Thanks to both of you for the cleaning and size advice, now I know what to look for and how to care for the teat. I think I'm gonna keep my eye out for glass farming bottles, maybe that will work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pldc View Post
    Thanks to both of you for the cleaning and size advice, now I know what to look for and how to care for the teat. I think I'm gonna keep my eye out for glass farming bottles, maybe that will work as well.
    Well since you want a glass bottle instead here is one site that sells different kinds of glass bottles.

New, Unused, Glass Milk Bottles for Sale | Milk Bottle Caps | Bottle Carriers | Pour Spouts | US Made Bottle Brushes | Milk Jugs | Bottle Lids

I hope this helps some and I will keep a look out for more options for you as well.