Thread: clothing sizes

Default clothing sizes

This is an issue im sure we all face at some point, it can be a real headache trying to find clothes that fit, especially if you're genetically male, so what do you all do in regards to getting the fit right or finding that perfect skirt or top in your size?

Personally Im a bit stuck at the moment, I've had help in the past with clothes that I've borrowed for a girly day out or two, but now that I'm out of college I've got no one to do shopping trips with and the sizing guides online tend to differ greatly,as do the fit of womens clothes from style to style and garmrnt to garment.
    I'm anywhere between a 16 and a 20 in fem sizes and buying before trying can be expensive and just isnt in my budget.

I hear you. I'm genetically female but you can divide my body into three sizes 22 top 14/16 middle and 18 bottom :/ it's fuuuuuun

the only solution is to religiously check sizing charts/ check the web to see if that brand is true-to-size and to consider the material used. For example a stretchy top you might go with the size smaller if you're between sizes but you'd never want to do that with, say, a peacoat. Also try to buy at places with a good return policy if you can. Sure you might have to pay for return shipping but at least you get most of your money back. oh; and never ever order pants online unless you've tried them on in a store/ you are very certain that you're willing to return it and ship it back. You can usually tell by the measurements if a top will fit you but there is no fricken way to tell with jeans/pants.

That is the same problem i face when trying to by online. i can get a size 14 skirt from one maker that fits pretty good and then the next maker in size 14 is too big or too small.

What i do is try as much as possible to get item that has a stretchy waist band and stay within the size range for me but for most times if unsure its better to go bigger then your size that way you can add some kinda of cute belt to ribbon around it.

Look up 'Vanity sizing'...you really can't go with the label indicated size...even with the same manufacture. Then there's the cross-conversions from/to girls, juniors, misses, student, womens...mens/boys too. My method that works okay, and like Siddy says...adjust for stretchy, etc...but hold pants/skirts where you want the waistline to go, and see if it goes midway or farther passed where your pelvic bones are...if it doesn't go to that half point (on both sides)...it's not going to get any larger when putting them on. This is my method for trying on...without changing into them...dressing-room or otherwise. Seems to work pretty well...

iloveuroutfit

Since we're all talking about sizes can someone help me with that? I'm fine with bottoms I can handle that no problem. Shirts/tops on the other hand i dont understand how it works cus isnt the sizing just small, medium, large, etc?

There are NO standards for sizing, particularly in women's clothing. Some of the time you will find consistency with in a brand, but don't count on it. I buy a fairly large amount of stuff on Ebay and always look for actual measurement, or ask for it. I am about to order a Barbra Tam dress and it will be custom sized.

Quote Originally Posted by SallS View Post
    There are NO standards for sizing, particularly in women's clothing. Some of the time you will find consistency with in a brand, but don't count on it. I buy a fairly large amount of stuff on Ebay and always look for actual measurement, or ask for it. I am about to order a Barbra Tam dress and it will be custom sized.
    Sizing is all over the place but the reference size/measurement chart can be found here:Womens Sizing Chart Buying Guide, Stores and Prices
    Younger school uniform skirts are elasticized and as such will give a fair bit I'm a 14 in BG skirts but 12/13 yr old size will fit perfectly.

I'm really skinny and really tall so but clothes for me is hard in general. I really don't know what sizes in girls clothes that fit me. Skirts are the easiest for me to find that I fit in. I can fit in clothes towards the smaller end of things. Sometimes I put on girls shirts labeled small and it doesn't hug my body like I think it should.