Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why?

Default Why?

Why do you do the things you do? Because you want to? Because you need to? Both?

Because I can and I don't give a shit what people think because I rule

Quote Originally Posted by diaperdude View Post
    Why do you do the things you do? Because you want to? Because you need to? Both?
    Both of the above and because I'm expected too and many others need me too.

Nam

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Because I can and I don't give a shit what people think because I rule
    No much more to say other than that lol

Basically, because I feel like to. Or, if I don't feel like doing it in the first place, I feel like achieving what this action will bring me to.

Also, I think the concept of "needing to" is very relative. I.e. the sentence "you work because you need to buy food to live". In the end, you work because you want to live. And so you do something because you want it. Maybe not the action in the first place, but what it'll bring you to.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperdude View Post
    I don't need to do anything... well actually I need to do something because it's impossible to do nothing, but needing to do anything doesn't really drive me to do the things I do; I do things because I want to do them. Perhaps wanting to do things create needs. For example, if I want to visit Spain next year, then that creates a need for me to eat now, because if I didn't eat I would die (and lets assume that I want to visit Spain as a living thing). So in some respects, both, but more generally, just because I want to.

Why do I want to do things? I find doing things more enjoyable than doing practically nothing. Dying would be unsatisfying, Spain has nice weather.

I just act as it occurs to me to act. Simple as. I'm not sure I get this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkkbprmt View Post
    I just act as it occurs to me to act. Simple as. I'm not sure I get this thread.
    It's philosophy!
    It's inspiring thought, asking questions!

A robot acts as it occurs to it to act, what makes you different to a robot? Do you never question why you are acting in such a way, or do you ever question why it occurred to you to act in such a way.

Did you post "I just act as it occurs to me to act" because it merely occurred to you to post that, or did you want to post that for any reason? If you follow what occurs to you then maybe you do the things you do because you need to, because you follow what occurs to you. If however you posted for a reason, you wanted to (maybe you wanted to express your opinion, share your views, ask what the thread was about, etc etc).
    Although I guess diaperdude's question up to interpretation because it's quite ambiguous...

I posted because I'm bored, and wanted to amuse myself.

I pretty much run on instincts and impulses, despite my significant intellectual ability. I'm fairly ashamed of it too, I guess, but feel powerless to change. I just cannot conquer my need for instant gratification or emotional whims. Thus, I struggle in community college, while my friends and long time intellectual equals pursue PhDs. The only difference between us is work ethic. What's worse is that unless you have this problem, you cannot hope to understand it. For example, my parents don't understand it, and it's a constant source of stress. Although, lately they are giving up on me, thank goodness.

Sometimes I wonder if this kind of life is even worth living. I'm pretty sure it's not, but I continue... just because, I guess.
    Last edited by IncompleteDude; 10-Oct-2008 at 19:12.