Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pitbull terriers declared inherently dangerous in Maryland by appeals court.

Default Pitbull terriers declared inherently dangerous in Maryland by appeals court.

An appeals court in Maryland set a precidence when it declared that a dog owner can be declared negligent simply for owning a pitbul, or any breed mixed with a pitbul and it attacks someone. This precident changed from when it was declared previously that the victim (plantif) had to prove that the owner (defendant) knew that their dog had violent tendancies. This means in Maryland your homeowners or liability insurance could refuse to cover you, or could jack their rates extremely high, even though pitbuls are not in any more danger of attacking anyone than any other breed, but because they are declared inherently dangerous.

I live in Virginia and we have a pitbull, and it was very difficult to find a rental place that did not have a breed restriction, simply because plantifs can go after owners of properties in this state, addition to tennants, and there is not liability cap. There are pitbull fighters everywhere in this country and around the world, but 99% of these dogs are not used for fighting. They are sweet and gentle when raised to be sweet and gentle. If you ban or make it impossible to own a breed of dog stereotypically associated with fighting, the fighters will just start fighting another breed, perhapse a similar one, like boxers, or another simmilar terrier.

I have a sweet pitbull who only weighs 50 pounds and wouldn't even bite Michael Vick.

Astra

Quote Originally Posted by HokieABDL View Post
    There are pitbull fighters everywhere in this country and around the world, but 99% of these dogs are not used for fighting. They are sweet and gentle when raised to be sweet and gentle. If you ban or make it impossible to own a breed of dog stereotypically associated with fighting, the fighters will just start fighting another breed, perhapse a similar one, like boxers, or another simmilar terrier.
    Agree completely, my aunt and uncle have a pit bull, and he's completely gentle and domesticated. Actually he's a real coward, pretty much the opposite of the stereotypical aggressive pit bull. I know a couple other people who have adopted mutts that are part-pit bull, and they're the same way. It's a stupid ruling.

I have had several Pit Bulls growing up, and have never had a problem with them. They were always gentle, good with kids, and generally well behaved. It has more to do with the owner than the dog. Any dog will be dangerous if treated poorly, or taught to be mean by its owner. It just so happens that this particular breed is the dog of choice for the type of person (if you want to call them that) that would intentionally mistreat or, make them mean for whatever reason. I say ban the people, not the dog!

My wife grew up in Maryland and I and my wife were maried in Maryland. Let's just say I have a few things to say about Maryland politics that, if I did say them, they would be honest, but would probably get me a few well-deserved negative reps (lol), so I definitely wont say it.

The problem is some actions taken by a misguided handful tend to excede their original boundaries when repeated by others.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieABDL View Post
    even though pitbuls are not in any more danger of attacking anyone than any other breed
    So your saying you are as likely to get attacked by a golden retriever as a pit bull? Really?

My dog was had its side ripped off 2 months ago by a pitbull who pulled its owner over and attacked. (I can post pictures, if you would like to see the damage) The owner described it almost exactly how you did your own pit. A completely unprovoked attack, in fact the owner of the pit tried to blame the "fight" (which was in no way a fight, rather a one sided massacre, my Dog is 20 lbs) on my dog, because "they were walking in our way" (public sidewalk)

A few weeks ago my Mom's friend's small dog had its throat ripped out and was killed by a pit bull. Same Story there.

They were bread to fight. They ARE more dangerous than many breads. They were BREAD that way. And considering were going after this guys homeowners insurance when we sue him, (asshole refuses to pay for vet bills, even though his dog had pulled free and pulled him on his face too, on top of nearly killing my dog, He doesnt seem to think his dog is to blame for the whole thing) The Insurance company's have every right to jack up your price when you have a known to be dangerous dog breed that is a potential liability. They're in the business to make profit. That's like saying a teenagers car insurance rates shouldn't go up if his parents buy him a brand new sports car.
    Last edited by Orcaway; 18-Jun-2012 at 09:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    So your saying you are as likely to get attacked by a golden retriever as a pit bull? Really?

My dog was had its side ripped off 2 months ago by a pitbull who pulled its owner over and attacked. (I can post pictures, if you would like to see the damage) The owner described it almost exactly how you did your own pit. A completely unprovoked attack, in fact the owner of the pit tried to blame the "fight" (which was in no way a fight, rather a one sided massacre, my Dog is 20 lbs) on my dog, because "they were walking in our way" (public sidewalk)

A few weeks ago my Mom's friend's small dog had its throat ripped out and was killed by a pit bull. Same Story there.

They were bread to fight. They ARE more dangerous than many breads. They were BREAD that way. And considering were going after this guys homeowners insurance when we sue him, (asshole refuses to pay for vet bills, even though his dog had pulled free and pulled him on his face too, on top of nearly killing my dog, He doesnt seem to think his dog is to blame for the whole thing) The Insurance company's have every right to jack up your rights when you have a known to be dangerous dog breed that is a potential liability. They're in the business to make profit. That's like saying a teenagers car insurance rates shouldn't go up if his parents buy him a brand new sports car.
    I'm sorry about your dog, and the situation you're in. My old neighbor actually had the same thing happen to his little poodle looking dog, but it was a Rottweiler in this case. All dogs are animals; most are territorial, and can be unpredictable. Chihuahuas are actually pretty foul tempered too, but you can kick them like a football if they come after you. JK

Now I do agree that a Golden Retriever is less likely to be aggressive, but it is not unheard of. There are so many other breeds of dogs out there that are just as likely to do something like that (German Shepherds, Rottweilers, mastiffs, Dobermans, Huskies, and the Wolf hybrids to name a few); it's unfair to single out the Pit Bull based on what the media and other people say who are clearly not educated enough about the breed.

I have actually worked with people who have been in arguments with me about Pit Bulls because I owned one, and they saw something on the news. They have never owned or even come in contact with a Pit Bull, they're ready to ban them based on what some reporter said. That is simply the sheeple mentality. Let's let the media guide us; even if they're wrong.

In a way I agree with you on the insurance point, but I feel it should be the case for all dogs. All dogs are an added liability, and could potentially hurt someone, or do damage to property. If your neighbors dog runs out in front of your car, and you hit it crushing your bumper and hood. Is that not something your neighbor should be liable for? It doesn't matter what breed it was, it still damaged your property.

teddybear206

thats messed up, pitbulls are the sweetest dogs ever, its just more pitbulls get abused, and become hostile...poor lil guys, all they ever wanted was a buddy

Tough call on this one. My sons dog is a pit/lab mix. He ALWAYS has it leashed, and has done a great job training her. It wasn't really his choice, his wife got her as a rescue on a whim. The dog acts like a lap dog around us, but she is brutally strong, and if she ever did go off on someone or or something, she's got the tools to do a lot of damage. And that's the problem. Dog owners see the lovable side of their pets, and tend to have a false sense of security. The dog never, ever does anything bad if they're around, because owner is the alpha. I must look, move, smell and sound a lot like my son, because the dog behaves perfectly for me every time. If I whistle for her, she comes. If I say sit or stay, she does until released. On the other hand, she nearly took my wife's arm off with the leash when she bolted after a squirrel.

When the dog is on its own, or with someone other than the alpha, you have no fricking idea when/what/or whom that dog might decide is a threat.....or a snack. All it takes is one time, and someone's dog, or worse child is badly injured or even dead. And that's a fact.

Its a fact that you are not with your dog, attached by a leash 24/7/365. Its a fact that most people do not do proper introductions to other dogs or people who visit or encounter on the street.

Its also a fact that if you take 100 pit bulls, 100 collies, 100 goldens, and observe behavior over time, you're going to have more incidents of aggressive behavior out of the pits. They're also going to do more damage in those incidents because of their physical characteristics.

Should the state be involved? And if so how? I have no idea. I do know that once the state has declared it a dangerous animal, you're pretty much screwed as far as liability, and your insurance company might be off the hook as well. You'd have to be an idiot to keep a pit under those circumstances.

Personally, I have no use for dogs of any kind. Just another time and money pit, aside from the liability issue. As a cyclist, and former paperboy, dogs are my natural enemy.

I think a lot of dog OWNERS are soft in the head and ought to be euthanized. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

Just my 2

Locke

My dog was killed by a pit bull. I know a girl who was mauled by a pit bull. I have some friends who hid in my house because a pitbull escaped and they were too terrified to go home (3 blocks away.)

You know how much violence I have heard about from literally any other breed? None.

pitbulls have 2 things against them, their steriotype and their strength. while I agree most probably aren;t dangerous if the dogs are dangerous they have the strength to inflict a lot of damage. That's most likely why they were chosen as fighting dogs to begin with and what got them their bad name.