Thread: Feeling pretty good.

Default Feeling pretty good.

I am starting to feel a lot better lately, and I think it might have something to do with changing my eating habits.

It's pretty crazy. I've started drinking a lot of water, cutting back on fast-food and soda, eating vegetables and cooking my own meals rather than eating processed foods.

I must say, the results are pretty good. I feel better, in the sense that I have more energy and I don't feel stomach sick after eating, which is a problem for me after I eat a lot of fast-food. My complexion has cleared up a lot too, I don't have as many pimples and my skin isn't as oily as it used to be. I like the fact that drinking a lot of water flushes toxins from my body and quenches thirst better than soda.

The hardest thing I've found with changing my diet was giving up soda, hands down it was the most difficult. I never really considered how bad it was for me before. So, I've essentially stopped drinking it and the effects over a course of a few weeks are noticeable.

I've cut back, I'm not necessarily giving up fast-food and soda, just making better choices. Rather than eating the biggest burger on the menu, I'll opt out for a smaller one and a salad as the side. Instead of 3 cans of soda in a day, I'll have one and then drink water or milk instead.

I'm actually impressed with how well this is going, and the fact that some healthy food actually tastes pretty good. Who knew?

-Ron

I made some changes to my diet a few years back, which included removing soda from day to day use. I still drink it if I want it. I have a six pack of my favorite soda in the refrigerator but now instead of lasting me a week, it lasts me several months. I find I appreciate it more having it when I really want that rather than just as a regular thing. I mostly drink water now. I find I generally need some kind of juice to wake up my mouth in the morning but water gets the nod for almost everything else.

I still eat fast(er) food but I stay away from the big chains. That's not for any particular concern out of health but more for taste and to support local business. If I'm going to get a burger or the like, I figure it should taste good and it's better if the money goes to a small business.

I've made a more conscious effort to do my errands on foot rather than driving. I dropped about 35lbs from my peak weight. Any more and I'd start to be thinner than I'd like. I could certainly be more active and eat healthier but for now this change has been a pretty noticeable improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast View Post
    I am starting to feel a lot better lately, and I think it might have something to do with changing my eating habits.

The hardest thing I've found with changing my diet was giving up soda, hands down it was the most difficult. I never really considered how bad it was for me before. So, I've essentially stopped drinking it and the effects over a course of a few weeks are noticeable.

Who knew?

-Ron
    Congrats on the change of habits there, Ron & with cutting back or giving up sodas!! I made that move 2 years ago, giving up sodas completely, 2 years this month & have not had a single one since then!! While on a visit with my dad, he had stopped drinking them & so I didn't bring any into his house while there either, out of respect!! Before the visit, my kidneys were hurting me & they stopped hurting during the visit, so once I thought about it & knew that had to be it, I walked away & have yet to return to sodas!!

Like you, I too have felt better & do not feel so icky, all over body wise since that change & a few others!! Like not eating as much, I have cut one meal out of my day & feel very good for it, limiting junk foods & have cut out milk chocolate, as it doesn't taste as good to me & is not as healthy as dark chocolate!! I rarely eat fast foods too, have gotten sick too many times from those places & the food to me, just doesn't taste as good as a nice "sit-down" place does!!

As you have stated - Who knew?

I wish i had the strength to give up soda. I drink a 6 pack a day easily, and i know better.

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyDoggy View Post
    I wish i had the strength to give up soda. I drink a 6 pack a day easily, and i know better.
    I was the same way! For my first year of college, Coca-cola was one of my food groups hahhaa. It was basically all I drank and I could never figure out why I always had headaches, why my acne was so bad and why I was always so dehydrated. It's been about 2 weeks since I gave up soda and cut back on other stuff and I'm still going strong!

-Ron

Stay strong, Ron & keep doing what you are doing!! I know it can be hard, as just about all my friends & co-workers drink sodas, it would be very easy for me to give in & take one when offered, but I don't & politely decline the offer!! If you stay true to your newly found convictions & be strong, you'll be able to stay on the path you have laid out for yourself & will continue to be happy with the results!!

Icey

Left to myself, I'd be very close to vegetarian. Not for any philosophical reasons, just as a matter of taste. Unfortunately, my wife's digestive system won't handle that much green, so I have to compromise.

She's away with the grandkids at the moment, so I'm mostly padded and eating green, red, blue (blueberry season!) and yellow for the next few weeks.

I started cutting sugar out of my diet as well and have felt better. I still intake some, but not near as much. Soda is the worst offender. My downfall is cookies. Hmmmmm......cookies!