Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think About - PBS program in 1970's where boy wants to be like his baby brother

Default Think About - PBS program in 1970's where boy wants to be like his baby brother

I guess this dates me, but does anyone remember an educational T.V. program back in the late 70s or early 80s that I believe was called, "Think About" and had an episode where a boy wished he could be like his baby brother and not have all of the responsibilities he had at his own age?

I remember being showed this in elementary school, as we regularly watched this program. The program was intended to encourage independent thinking about ideas and spur discussion on logic and reason.

Anyhow, I remember there this episode where a boy is frustrated with all the responsibilities he has and wishes he could be like his baby brother. He is frustrated with all of the chores he has to do and the things that others expect of him.

Somehow, magically, he gets his wish. It then shows him (in the form of his baby brother) becoming a baby, but he still has his own thoughts as a young teenager.

He is placed in a high chair and is being fed baby food. In the short video, he eventually comes to the conclusion this isn't such a great idea as he has to eat baby food instead of the steak that the rest of the family is eating. Eventually, he returns to his own age and decides that responsibilities aren't such a bad thing.

I remember watching this video as an elementary student and already having ab/dl desires at the time, being fascinated with this concept and yet scared that others might discover my secret that I wanted to be like the boy in the video.

I am curious if anyone else has ever seen this video and/or they experienced these thoughts/feelings -- Or if others experienced a similar experience with other clips / video stories.

I don't remember ever seeing this one. I looked around just now for any sign of it but couldn't find anything. I must have just missed it or maybe it was a regional thing. That would have certainly been an attention-grabber. Unlike a number of AB posts I have seen, I don't recall a strong urge to actually be a baby or young child for exactly the reasons the boy in your film discovers. I much prefer being myself with the opportunity to do largely as I please. It comes with some downsides but I think overall it's well worth it as a trade-off.

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBr_Cowboy View Post
    I guess this dates me, but does anyone remember an educational T.V. program back in the late 70s or early 80s that I believe was called, "Think About" and had an episode where a boy wished he could be like his baby brother and not have all of the responsibilities he had at his own age?

I remember being showed this in elementary school, as we regularly watched this program. The program was intended to encourage independent thinking about ideas and spur discussion on logic and reason.

Anyhow, I remember there this episode where a boy is frustrated with all the responsibilities he has and wishes he could be like his baby brother. He is frustrated with all of the chores he has to do and the things that others expect of him.

Somehow, magically, he gets his wish. It then shows him (in the form of his baby brother) becoming a baby, but he still has his own thoughts as a young teenager.

He is placed in a high chair and is being fed baby food. In the short video, he eventually comes to the conclusion this isn't such a great idea as he has to eat baby food instead of the steak that the rest of the family is eating. Eventually, he returns to his own age and decides that responsibilities aren't such a bad thing.

I remember watching this video as an elementary student and already having ab/dl desires at the time, being fascinated with this concept and yet scared that others might discover my secret that I wanted to be like the boy in the video.

I am curious if anyone else has ever seen this video and/or they experienced these thoughts/feelings -- Or if others experienced a similar experience with other clips / video stories.
    yea......
    i know the one......
    i saw it, but not in school as i remember. i was class of 73'....
    but i watched a lot of PBS back then before i joined the nav..... it's funny the sorts of things a child will fixate on isn't it. the things that can change his life for ever....

when i was a little kid i was given a picture book of important Ships. this was in about 1967 or 68 i think.... well in that book was a picture of the coolest boat that i had ever seen. i didn't know it at the time, but it was to shape and effect the rest of my life. i would draw pictures of that boat in school, and try to find things to read about it. but of course, there just wasn't anything. the picture was of the launching of a brand-new secret class of submarine. in fact, the boat in the picture was the same one i would later grow-up and serve on less then ten years later...... how bloody strange is that.....

Sound good I want see this if anyone can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbearboy View Post
    Sound good I want see this if anyone can find it.
    Yeah I think I wouldn't mind seeing this either?
    Sounds very good

This sounds eerily familiar, but I wasn't around in the 70's.
    Was the movie made with some type of muppets by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
    This sounds eerily familiar, but I wasn't around in the 70's.
    Was the movie made with some type of muppets by any chance?
    No, it was real life actors and it was a PBS broadcast. I actually saw it in school.

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBr_Cowboy View Post
    No, it was real life actors and it was a PBS broadcast. I actually saw it in school.
    Huh. This is weird.
    I know when I was younger (talking early to mid 90's here) that on one of the basic cable stations they had a show with muppet like creatures, and the context of one episode was exactly like that. The only reason I can still recall it is because that was one of the first times I said, "Yeah, I wouldn't mind being treated like a baby. Go for it!" not realizing what I was saying and whom I was saying it to. >.<

Reminds me of the episode of the Rugrats where it was Angelica's birthday and she tried avoiding future responsibility by making herself a baby.

pamperchu

Might have to call PBS and get a copy. Its probably is on 16mm film or u-matic tape and would need to by copied over to digital format.