View Poll Results: Pass prop 8 in november?

71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (Stoping Gay marriage)

11 15.49%
  • No (keeping CA the way it is now.)

60 84.51%
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: California Residents (Or anyone): Prop 8?

Default California Residents (Or anyone): Prop 8?

California Proposition 8 (2008 - Ballotpedia)

No On 8, Don't Eliminate Marriage For Anyone

Protect Marriage - Yes on 8 » Home Page

In march the CA Senate passed a bill allowing same sex marriage. Now in prop 8 is trying to get passed, if prop 8 passes no more same sex marriage. If it does not then CA will stay the way it is now.

If you have a reason to your answer please explain.

The whole gay marriage thing is weird. Most the gay people I know have no intention of ever getting married. You'd think after fighting so hard they would take advantage of it, and sure some do, but most don't or so it seems to me. It seems like this is just a debate on principals rather than practicals.

Personally, I would like to see any legal definition of marriage abolished altogether. Sure you can have civil unions, but that would be no more than a device for tax purposes, with changeable contract clauses for child custody, ownership of property, relationship responsibilities and other details. To me marriage is a purely social institution, and out of the purview of government.

"PROTECT TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE!" WHAT THE F*** IS THERE TO PROTECT?! What I do with my life is no one else's business, and what it marries is MY business!

Honestly, I'm ambivalent on the topic of gay marriage. I think it's fair that gays should have the same rights in terms of taxes, hospital visitation, and whathaveyou. On the other hand, many people don't see this as true marriage.

Like Incomplete Dude said.. I think the idea of marriage is mainly as a social institution. And, I think many people are not interested in changing its definition. From a social perspective, I don't have a problem with that -- in our society people already live by different definitions of things like morality, ethics, and proper conduct.

Of course, in the eye of the law all should be equal. I can see the point about abolishing the legal definition of marriage entirely, however I think it would never fly with the general populous. And as this referendum would suggest, some are not prepared to accept the government telling them they have to accept gay marriage, either.

If I lived in CA, I'm not really sure what I'd vote. In the end, it's really not a hot button issue for me.

I have a problem with the gay marriage became legal in California. Basically 4 people said gay marriage was legal and it became so.

What I would like to see is a major change in how marriage is handled by the government.

First the government would issue Civil Union Contracts, these would be between two consenting adults (personally I don't care about how many consenting adults it's between, but too many people do). These Contracts would be issued with either the current date, or a future date, as of that date the people would be legally considered partners for inheritance, insurance, hospital visitation rights, etc. All the current rights that marriage currently gives.

Second if you wish to married, they find themselves a clergyperson that is willing to marry them and tada they are married.

Basically if a church (yes, there are some here that endorse gay marriages) or whoever is marrying the couple doesn't have a problem with it, then why should the government? This is simply the government trying to *ban* something that doesn't hurt anyone. If a religion doesn't want to recognize gay marriage, that's fine. No one should be forcing them. But taking away rights from people because their union would be viewed as 'morally wrong' by some people (I'm looking at you, bible belt...) is just sick.

This whole idea of 'protecting' the sanctity of marriage is such a crock of sh*t. Except for about 15% of marriages out there, marriage has already been destroyed. How many of you have divorced parents, parents who hate each other but are still married(*raises hand*). I think the best comment I heard on the subject was: "If gay people want to be as miserable as straight people, then why not let them?"

My 2 cents...from someone who has no interest in ever getting married :P

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    I have a problem with the gay marriage became legal in California. Basically 4 people said gay marriage was legal and it became so.

It was voted by 5 people just a BTW.

But also, when marriage between interracial couples was voted to be legal, it was voted 3 to 2 just like gay marriage is.... so unless you ahve a problem with
    interracial marriage......

I think they should be allowed to get married, but I don't think a priest has to marry a gay couple if they are uncomfortable about it

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    I think they should be allowed to get married, but I don't think a priest has to marry a gay couple if they are uncomfortable about it
    Yes, I absolutely agree with that. Gay people should only be married in consenting churches or the courts.

Definitely keep gay marriage. I don't see anything wrong with it. Screw traditional marriage. As time goes on, traditions become outdated, and this tradition is long outdated. Heterosexual couples are not higher or better than homosexual couples, so I don't see why homosexual couples deserve anything less than marriage.