Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pronounciation of "Infantilism"

Default Pronounciation of "Infantilism"

Can I ask a naive newbie question? Not hearing the word very often and only reading about it, I am confused: Is the first sylable emphasized (INfantilism) or the second one (inFANtilism)?

If I had to guess, I would say that the first syllable is emphasized (INfantilism). Anybody can correct me if I am wrong.

I always emphasize the second syllable, but I would say that either pronunciation is acceptable.

I have no idea what the "proper" pronunciation would be but I've always said it in-FAN-ti (not ta)-lism

Well I guess you could break it down into phonic syllables

Don't worry it's a natural human instance to find reading longer, more complicated words difficult

Anakin Furlover

I think I usually say it the 2nd way (inFANtilism) but also agree with others that I don't think there an issue saying it either way.

i always thought it was pronounced with the word infant pronounced as infant, with the t carrying on to the rest

in·fan·ti·lism   [in-fuhn-tl-iz-uhm, -tahy-liz-, in-fan-tl-iz-uhm]
    the persistence in an adult of markedly childish anatomical, physiological, or psychological characteristics.
    an infantile act, trait, etc., especially in an adult.
    a speech disorder characterized by speech and voice patterns that are typical of very young children.
    1890–95; infantile + -ism

Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2012.

It would seem that accent on the first or second syllable are both acceptable. For myself, I prefer the second pronunciation, with the accent on the second syllable.