Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A monumental decision.

Default A monumental decision.

I've decided that today is the day I quit drinking.
    Last summer I was going through some rough times, and took up drinking. I drank like a fish. I remember one night I had easily 15+ shots of vodka. I started getting drunk off my ass every other night basically. I'd drink everything I could get my hands on: Rum, whiskey, vodka, and I eventually got so desperate as to drink entire bottles of wine, no matter how bad it tasted. The drinking soon became a problem.
    You see, I started getting addicted to drinking. I started wanting to do it more and more. I'd have extreme urges, and if I tried to resist them, I'd go through withdrawal symptoms. I'd get angry sometimes, slamming my fists in to walls and flipping things over simply because I wanted to drink.
    And school was a nightmare after all that drinking. I barely passed Geometry, and in all the classes I used to get A's in without much effort, I notice most of them are a whole grade lower. My GPA was very effected by this. I ended up the school year with a 3.2 GPA.
    Anyways, I'm quitting drinking because I realized what it's done to me. I realized that it's done nothing for me but make me more stupid and fuck with my academics.
    So, I figured it was about time to turn my life around. So I'm quitting drinking.
    Wish me luck.

I hope your able to quit drinking. I've know people in my own familes that struggled with it.

quitting is not easy and i hope you try with the help of a group like AA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheBest16 View Post
    I've decided that today is the day I quit drinking.
    Last summer I was going through some rough times, and took up drinking. I drank like a fish. I remember one night I had easily 15+ shots of vodka. I started getting drunk off my ass every other night basically. I'd drink everything I could get my hands on: Rum, whiskey, vodka, and I eventually got so desperate as to drink entire bottles of wine, no matter how bad it tasted. The drinking soon became a problem.
    You see, I started getting addicted to drinking. I started wanting to do it more and more. I'd have extreme urges, and if I tried to resist them, I'd go through withdrawal symptoms. I'd get angry sometimes, slamming my fists in to walls and flipping things over simply because I wanted to drink.
    And school was a nightmare after all that drinking. I barely passed Geometry, and in all the classes I used to get A's in without much effort, I notice most of them are a whole grade lower. My GPA was very effected by this. I ended up the school year with a 3.2 GPA.
    Anyways, I'm quitting drinking because I realized what it's done to me. I realized that it's done nothing for me but make me more stupid and fuck with my academics.
    So, I figured it was about time to turn my life around. So I'm quitting drinking.
    Wish me luck.
    Erm.

Where the hell are your parents in all of this? You're of an age where they should be around, and will be able to help. If neither are true and you have to get help on your own ... do some work and figure out which group(s) in your area will take you, and marshal a support structure for yourself.

wolfdawn137

Good luck Try to find a support group that can help you too!

Quote Originally Posted by anned View Post
    quitting is not easy and i hope you try with the help of a group like AA
    Do not bother with AA.

They are a cult that will try to convince you that you are helpless to overcome your addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by x000017 View Post
    Do not bother with AA.

They are a cult that will try to convince you that you are helpless to overcome your addiction.
    Personal experience - this is absolutely true. You will become addicted to meetings instead of addicted to drinking, and they ENCOURAGE this behavior.

I've been to AA as well. They are all living in fear for any moment they could go back to the dark side!!!! *le gasp*
    Anyway, I've been sober off everything for over a year now, only have a beer here and there.
    You will feel sooooo much better not relying on alcohol to live your life. Keep in mind if you drank with friends, and plan of staying sober, you probably want to not hang out with those people as much, or tell them your situation and see if they can accommodate you. If they don't they probably weren't that great to hang out with in the first place.

Anyway! I would wish you luck, but luck doesn't have anything to do with it. You made the decision, now you can stick with it!

Default Possible Exception

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    Personal experience - this is absolutely true. You will become addicted to meetings instead of addicted to drinking, and they ENCOURAGE this behavior.
    Completely agree, and with the possible exception that if AA works for you to get the drinking into moderation/abstinence..then you join an AA-Ungroup group to get off the AA. The other big issue I have with AA, is the religious connotation...well, the explicit religious issues...which IMMHO...is 'fine' if that's what you believe in the first place.
    jes'sayn

-Marka
    p.s. You have my support!!

"Do not bother with AA." (link above in post #6 by x000017) is an interesting read! I had no clue what levels of scandal are purported with the double-A association! I recommend a 'browse'. -Marka
    Last edited by Marka; 16-Jun-2012 at 21:33. Reason: Additional editorial comments