Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth nappies for the night

Question Cloth nappies for the night

I have a question, aimed mainly for those using nappies on a regular basis.

I am considering to start using cloth diapers for the night time. Does anyone have experience; does it make sense at all? My main reason is to try to reduce the amount of rubbish I produce (at least slightly - it's really a lot when using 24/7).

Any manufacturers or shops (UK/EU based) selling this kind of products you could advise? I was thinking of some kind of shaped cloth nappy plus waterproof cover or a washable all-in-one. I'm not searching for an AB-product, but as it would be for night time use only it doesn't really matter as long as the quality is good.

Thx

Though I used purely disposables for many years, I switched to cloth for nighttime use about a year and half ago. The main reason I switched was not rubbish output, but instead cost savings. My figuring is that I probably saved several hundred dollars per year in the cost difference between cloth and disposable.

I use flat pre-fold diapers instead of opting for the contoured diapers. Unfortunately, I don't have any UK/EU experience for purchasing diapers (cloth or disposable), so I can't give you any help there.

Wearing at night works just fine. I used to wear cloth to bed every night (I did that for about a year), and it worked out really well. I presume this would be your first go with cloth? If so, I'd definitely give the All About Cloth Diapers article a read as a starting point. From there, for night use you'll have to go a bit thicker with your diaper choice. In my experience, it takes about 1/3 again as much thickness in a cloth diaper to match the absorbency of an Abena or Dry 24/7. I have no troubles sleeping with such an arrangement when I do it, but of course your mileage may vary. Also, I would recommend a onesie with cloth as a general rule, as cloth will sag and droop more than disposables (less of a problem at night, but I like to know my diaper's going to be where I think it will be in the morning).

Anything else, feel free to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Wearing at night works just fine. I used to wear cloth to bed every night (I did that for about a year), and it worked out really well. I presume this would be your first go with cloth? If so, I'd definitely give the All About Cloth Diapers article a read as a starting point. From there, for night use you'll have to go a bit thicker with your diaper choice. In my experience, it takes about 1/3 again as much thickness in a cloth diaper to match the absorbency of an Abena or Dry 24/7. I have no troubles sleeping with such an arrangement when I do it, but of course your mileage may vary. Also, I would recommend a onesie with cloth as a general rule, as cloth will sag and droop more than disposables (less of a problem at night, but I like to know my diaper's going to be where I think it will be in the morning).

Anything else, feel free to ask!
    should be nice to see a soggy cloth diaper.

I have think allot of time to start wear cloth diaper but it is hard when you dont have a washing machine in my apartment.

Cloth diapers leak more than premium disposables such as Abena or Molicare or Dry 24/7. There is no gel to hold the urine and there are no standing leak guards. Give it a try if you like. I used prefolds, which offer little coverage on the sides. Since that time manufacturers of adult diapers have begun making pull-on cloth diapers with padding that goes all around. Those would work better, I think, for side-sleepers like myself; I prefer not having to step out of a wet diaper, however.

I used Kins brand from Vancouver, BC, Canada. Perhaps you can find a European or UK supplier. Good luck; try several things and see what works best for you. And get a waterproof mattress protector for all your failed experiments!

For night time, I have yet to find a All in One or Pocket diaper that suit my needs. They all tend to leak.

What worked the best for me was prefoled diapers with a plastic pant. They could hold everything I could "lose" in them and don't leak. The only problem for me was that plastic pants got unconfortable with time. My ties got more muscular and now the leg elastic hurt. (I workout a lot).

And, on the other side. I now sleep with my gf. She's ok with me sleeping in diapers, but I prefer disposables as they neutralise smells better. Cloth diapers can get smelly in the morting. (urine smell).

I know about the smell in morning thing, with cloth you need a dedicate pail and preferable some sprinkle in pail deodorizer it does wonder.
    I have worn cloth everynight nearly for 4 years now and have about 200-300 cloth diapers of all diffent shapes and designs as well as the proctective pants to go with ones that are not AIO. From my experience adult contours + plus either pul or plastic pants seem to offer the best protection with this config even as a side sleeper I usually do not leak, and even I go to bed dry I wake up fairly wet so I am actively using them in sleep with out issue. The constant bathroom trips during the night is one of the main reasons I start wearing diapers so I could sleep through the night with out waking up a lot. Pul or Pul lined cloth cover seem to be the most comfortable and effective cloth diaper for me and done right they seem to perform my disposables most of time in comparison to Abena plastic back M4's and Classic Super Plus Molli's. Cost was a factor for me as well and while cloth is expensive up front they do cost a lot less of the course of a year. As far as washing, and the deodorizer I use rockin-green products, I have sensitive skin, and worked so great on the diapers I have switched to it for all my laundry as it keeps me from breaking out, big tip never use chlorine bleach or fabric softener on your diapers it can damage the capacity and degrade their fibers.
    -
    As far UK shops, cozy and dry comes to mind. these from them specifically Cosy n Dry - Velcro Fastening Fitted Terry Nappy - Adult Baby Clothing, Adult Babywear, Ageplay Products and Much More.
    -
    All the best
    Adella

I have found the LeakMaster, gauze night weight pre-fold work very well. I think there was some confusion in a past post, as you must wear plastic pants. I wear the LeakMaster high back plastic pants and they almost never leak. The new Birdseye LeakMaster night weight are extremely thick and perhaps more absorbent than the gauze, but they must be washed a number of times before they soften up and obtain their absorbancy.

Thank you for the responses. From what I read as far it definitely makes sense to try. Will come back with some feedback after I finish my "market research" and finally decide what to try

trads only leak if they're too small; and, by their nature, they're only too small if you choose them to be.

arizona.free-online.co.uk do a 'bedwetting' nappy that i can vouch for (if using a 'booster') Attachment 12756
    you can get the pants from there, too (go for the 3-pack high-waisted, size XL) and nappy pins.

you can also buy terry-towelling towels, for use as nappies, from Dunelm (get Hotel grade and go as large as you can afford - think along the lines of doubling). there, you can also buy off-cuts of plastic for making your own pants, plus all other as may be needed for doing so.

nappy liners can be bought as 'frost protection fleece' from any gardening centre. wash before use, and double for a super-silky feel when you walk/move.

a rule of thumb, with trads: the bigger, the better.

i don't recommend buying any of the american or new-age style gear: if you're going trad, go trad.
    Last edited by ade; 16-Jun-2012 at 23:08.