Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Buying Diapers

FullMetal

Default Guide to Buying Diapers

So, since this question comes up so much and gets a bit repetitive, I will try and knock it out of the way early on.

OK, so, you entered the community, you are a few months in, you know what to buy but for some reason you can't. Now I know many older members scream "Its easy! Go to a store and buy them!" But if they are really old members and they do know a thing or two about buying diapers, they should know that the first few times venturing into the wold of purchasing is not as easy as it sounds. Well lets put it this way, buying diapers is neither easy nor is it hard. The main thing you must get rid is fear, but that we will keep for the end.

Scenario One- (For people with cars)

What you will need:

One car
    Fifteen - Twenty Dollars
    A good excuses (if needed)
    A store

Well first off, you will need to have money. Get a job, save some from allowance...rob a bank, whatever you want, just make sure you don't go to the store all ready to buy diapers and then say..."Whoops, I forgot my money at home..." After you have your money, if someone is home, lets make it a parent, you need an excuse. It can be anything- the one I usually use is "I need to go to a friends house to pick up some homework."

OK, now that that is done you need to find a store. One that's close, but not close enough for you to encounter anyone you know. Any supermarket or pharmacy will work. So you go driving down to the store and you enter. This is no different than buying a pack of gum, don't stress, think of a song, puppies, dancing hippos, whatever it is that takes your mind off of the current situation but still lets you focus on your goal.

Don't stall!!!!! Stalling will only make it worse and you will not want to go through with it, trust me! Go straight to the diaper isle or the incontinent isle, wherever you need to get your diapers from. Now, don't let the stress make you mess up, READ, you don't know how many times I have gotten the wrong diapers because I was freaking out so much. Once you have them in your hand, put them to the side of you and walk calmly, NO ONE CARES, it is a big misconception that everyone is watching you. Just go straight to the line, make sure your money is directly in your pocket and somewhere you can find to make it easy to give, get and leave. When on line, DONT STRESS, it will only make things harder, just look straight, and take your mind off of the situation. Put the package on the table, let them ring it up, bag it and leave. It's no big deal, you can do this.

Scenario Two- (For people without cars)

What you will need:

A bike or your feet
    Fifteen - Twenty Dollars
    A good excuses (if needed)
    A store- close by
    A Planned out Time
    A book bag (Excuse for that could be for water or something)

OK so this one is a bit more tricky, but it's no big deal, when I was without a car, I was with diapers almost every month. So, you start off thinking: "Where is the nearest super market or pharmacy?" You don't want to walk or bike ride too far. If the nearest place is over a fifteen minute drive I do not suggest walking, for myself I would not even suggest a bike ride, but everyone is different, it all depends on how fast and how long you can walk or bike ride for and how much you really want theses diapers.

Anyway, now that you know what store you are going to you need to find a suitable time so that either your parents aren't home or you can go fast enough and come back in time for no one to get suspicious and ask questions. You then need your money and an empty book bag. So you tell your whomever it is that you are leaving for a quick bike ride- or walk- if you have to and are now on your way.

Well the first thing you need to do when you get to the store, if you have a bike, is to park your bike somewhere safe with your backpack next to it (if you are walking you can bring your backpack in with you) and walk in calmly. I will say this again this is no different than buying a pack of gum, don't stress, think of a song, puppies, dancing hippos, whatever it is that takes your mind off of the current situation but still lets you focus on your goal.

(This is so copied and pasted from above but...) Don't stall!!!!! Stalling will only make it worse and you will not want to go through with it, trust me! Go straight to the diaper isle or the incontinent isle, wherever you need to get your diapers from. Now, don't let the stress make you mess up, READ, you don't know how many times I have gotten the wrong diapers because I was freaking out so much. Once you have them in your hand, put them to the side of you and walk calmly, NO ONE CARES, it is a big misconception that everyone is watching you. Just go straight to the line, make sure your money is directly in your pocket and somewhere you can find to make it easy to give, get and leave. When on line, DONT STRESS, it will only make things harder, just look straight, and take your mind off of the situation. Put the package on the table, let them ring it up, bag it and leave. It's no big deal, you can do this. Once you are out, go to your bike and place your newly claimed diapers inside your book bag. Then ride straight home.

Buying diapers is not as hard as it seems, the big thing is that you have to understand that no one really cares what you are buying. The workers get hundreds of ring ups a day, they are not going to focus on yours specifically. In both situation to ease the pain you could always buy something with the diapers and make believe they are not for you but as I said before, no one cares so it really doesn't matter. Just get in and get out, plain and simple.

This was FullMetals Guide to Buying Diapers, hope it helps.

FullMetal

Thanks for putting it (back?) up, I KNOW these diaper buying guides helped me out TREMENDOUSLY. ~Grizzy~ P.S. whats a hamhock? i have nooo idea...

Good idea, if we could make this a sticky that would massively cut down on the number of new people asking how they should buy.

Yeah, that post sums up about all the guides ever did. As it is, buying diapers is not really hard for what you're doing, it's hard about having the confidence and conquering the fear of it. This is of course the simplest method, but there are numerous ways to get diapers. You can also mail-order them if you are too scared. There are lots of companies that will do this for you, and discreetly. You can even do like my friend did and pay a couple of dollars to have a delivery service bring them to you from the grocery store if you want. But it all comes down to, the key is - noone cares, and they especially don't care if you're wearing them. :p

FullMetal

I forgot to add some stuff, but if anyone wants feel free to add your experiences, it's always helpful to others.

FullMetal

If you're into cloth diapers you can even use the Sears catalogue to order them by telephone, and all that ever shows up is the item number. You just go and pick them up and pay at the store and leave with a bag. You just may need to make an additional purchase as well at the time, preferably a clothing purchase so they bag them together and noone, not even the cashier should know whats in there, because if you buy more than one thing, it's already been bagged prior and sits on the shelf in the bag together.
    Last edited by BabyKat; 17-Jan-2008 at 03:15. Reason: Grammar correction. :-D

Heh, you're right about the biking/walking thing. Everyone is different. I'm not trying to brag, or anything, but everytime I want to buy, I have to bike quite a few kilometers to get to the nearest pharmacy.

One time I spent 20 minutes wandering around the store trying to build up the courage to buy some. Then I chickened out and left. I really wanted them, but I couldn't go back into the store (because that would just make me look stupid), so I ended up biking even further to the next nearest pharmacy.

... About 5 kilometers away. Uphill.

I understand how it can be nerve wracking the first time but after that it should be a cinch...I've never had anyone say anything, and if anyone asks, lying is a great thing.

kitty0230

i may like to add that it is way easier at drug stores and supermarkets that have automated casheirs, where its just a computer that wont look at you or anything

Quote Originally Posted by catty0320 View Post
    i may like to add that it is way easier at drug stores and supermarkets that have automated casheirs, where its just a computer that wont look at you or anything
    LOL. Yeah, my dad's Wal-Mart has one like that...ours is too poor to upgrade their stuff or something lol. :p I wish we had one here......**shrug**...

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Disciple View Post
    I understand how it can be nerve wracking the first time but after that it should be a cinch...I've never had anyone say anything, and if anyone asks, lying is a great thing.
    I'm barely used to it and I've bought a lot of diapers...it took a long time for me. It's not always like you can just get used to it...and going back to the same place where people are going to get used to your face doesn't help. Where I live, people may not know you by name, but repeatedly seeing the same person and remembering them is easy around here...It's not that big of a place.