Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys think I will get into college?

Catperson

Default Do you guys think I will get into college?

I really really want to go to college. And I don't just mean some little one-building place or an online course, I want to go to a full-fledged university. I'm worried that I wont get into a decent one though,despite everyone telling me otherwise. I was just wondering if you guys think I would get in with what I have as of now:

A 2090 on the SAT, without taking any subject tests.

I'm in a hyper-advanced program that is virtually all AP or higher level classes.

I got mostly A's and B's for my first two years of school, but I doubt that counts for much. This year I've got C's in most of my classes, a handful of B's, and an occasional A. However, I got a D in my first semester of physics and I might get a D in this semester of calculus.

I have pretty much no extracurricular activities. I was in water polo my first two years, and this year I've been a regular member of my school's GSA (though we never really do much). Other than that, nothing.

I'm at least 99% sure I failed all of my AP exams. I guessed on almost every question on all of them.

I feel very unimpressive when I see all of my friends having 4.0's or higher and enough extracurricular activities to fill a book with. Is there any way I could get into a good university with what I have?

Meh you'll make it. Remember, colleges want one thing in particular and that is MONEY! And most colleges don't friggen deny 50% of the people who apply. They wouldn't get any cash that way. You don't seem to be a horrible student so I have faith that you will make it.

As for me, I did great in most my classes but I actually suck at math. I took maybe one math class in high school and I still graduated. Does this hurt my chances at college? Maybe, but the one I plan on attending will just stick extra math classes on me.

I say go for it, and if worse comes to worse go to a community college, get better grades at the classes you got D's in. 'Course, I can't really say anything because I haven't gone back to school yet and it's been 3 years.... Just haven't felt any desire to go back.
    Anyway, good luck with your travels!

At the least, what you have now will get you into state university. Don't worry.

If you were hoping to get into Harvard, that's another story, but don't think your academic career will end just because you didn't make much of yourself in high school. You may have a time finding any financial aid, of course, but you will at least be able to go to a decent enough college.

They will take into account how hard your classes were and weigh that against any bad grades you got. It is important to do really well on the college entrance papers since they put a lot of emphasis on those as well. You have a great shot from what you said but even if you don't get into a full university you could always do 2 years at a community college. It may not be what you want but you can transfer and still get a degree from an actual university. Best of luck to you! Sounds like you took impressive coursework in high school and are in good standing. Be sure to hilight ANY extracurricular activities on all of your applications too including jobs and being on any school teams.

From what I understand, so long as you've a decent GPA and test scores most places will accept an application. Financial aid might be a bit difficult to obtain but it's mostly just filling out forms and seeing if you apply for anything. While my own story isn't very typical I was accepted by the first state university I applied at with a 3.3 GPA and no SAT or ACT scores. I did take a roundabout way of going to back to school and I am an ethnic minority so that most likely factored into my acceptance as well. I also applied to a MI university as a MI resident. The moral of the story is though you'll never know if you don't apply.

I'm not as familiar with the SAT, as I took the ACT. However, from what I could find, assuming you did equally well on all parts, you got in above the 90 percentile, so it seems like a reasonable score at least.

I'm in a hyper-advanced program that is virtually all AP or higher level classes.

I got mostly A's and B's for my first two years of school, but I doubt that counts for much. This year I've got C's in most of my classes, a handful of B's, and an occasional A. However, I got a D in my first semester of physics and I might get a D in this semester of calculus.
    What will matter is your overall GPA and your school's GPA scale. (Most universities list their admissions requirements on a 4.0 scale, so you'll need to convert it if your school doesn't use a 4.0 scale.) If you are on the cutoff for what the school accepts, they'll probably take into account your more recent grades, but otherwise, it's the overall GPA. So those freshmen and sophomore A's and B's matter.

Class rank also matters as well.

If you're finding AP courses are killing your GPA, it might be worth reconsidering how many you take, especially if you aren't able to get the college credit by taking the tests. Perhaps take just those you know you can do well in, or those that apply to the major you want to pursue in college.

I have pretty much no extracurricular activities. I was in water polo my first two years, and this year I've been a regular member of my school's GSA (though we never really do much). Other than that, nothing.
    Extracurriculars won't matter as much for college admissions (if at all). It's basically for most colleges - SAT/ACT, GPA, and class rank. No extracurriculars will make it harder to find scholarships, but it won't really impact your admission chances (unless the college says otherwise.)

I'm at least 99% sure I failed all of my AP exams. I guessed on almost every question on all of them.
    AP exams won't matter for admissions; they're just to determine if you can get credit for entry level college courses. If you didn't pass, you'll just have to take those courses in college, which isn't really a big deal. A lot of students don't take AP courses and thus take the courses in college; also, since you've taken parts of the courses in college, you'll most likely have a leg up on the other students - I found this was true when retaking calculus.

Quote Originally Posted by Catperson View Post
    I really really want to go to college. And I don't just mean some little one-building place or an online course, I want to go to a full-fledged university. I'm worried that I wont get into a decent one though,despite everyone telling me otherwise. I was just wondering if you guys think I would get in with what I have as of now:

I feel very unimpressive when I see all of my friends having 4.0's or higher and enough extracurricular activities to fill a book with. Is there any way I could get into a good university with what I have?
    You probably won't be able to get into an Ivy League or other top-notch schools, but you should be able to get into a good public, 4-year university. In other words, don't worry about it too much.

College Board has a pretty good website to search the admissions requirements and like for colleges. It might be useful if you wanted to see what colleges in your area require.

Quote Originally Posted by Catperson View Post
    I really really want to go to college. And I don't just mean some little one-building place or an online course, I want to go to a full-fledged univ. I'm worried that I wont get into a decent one though,despite everyone telling me otherwise. I was just wondering if you guys think I would get in with what I have as of now:

Never lose your confident. You may never know what you get at the end of the day. Just try with full heart, never approach anything half heartedly. Ask for what you want and don't accept what you don't want. Just go aggresive, dude. Life is ours and we are the masters. These numbers and grades are only for others to see and not to judge. But when you need something, you've to go for it. Not only high IQ guys are getting good universities. Money speaks louder than you or me and money travel faster than sound. Even if you don't have enough to pay, still you may go for the best universities if you tune your mind and make it believe that you are gonna go to big university. This works man, all the best!

Even if you didn't get into any four year colleges you could still go to community college then transfer to a bachelor's course at a four year institution after two years. It would be cheaper and make absolutely zero difference to the degree you got at the end.

I have a a friend that got into university despite having less than the published entrance requirements. He was required to take a remedial course and to keep a light course load in their first year but after making Dean's list in his first year those requirements went away

(He started failing some course in 3rd year, though, but here's a lesson for you: if you can't wake up before 8 don't take 8:30 classes - even if they are mandatory!).

At the end of the day getting into a (legitimate) university isn't too hard. I had an 85.3% adjusted entrance average from HS (my actual HS average over my last two years of HS, which is the period most universities seem to count in Canada, was 86%) which is not low by any means but was pretty far from the people that actually did things like studying and homework. With that average I managed to get into my current uni no questions asked. I showed up with ID and an official transcript and that was that, I was told that my acceptance needed to be rubber stamped I got the official acceptance letter a few weeks later.

Interestingly enough my current university GPA is within two or three percentage points of my high school average.

Anyway, all that to say:
    1. as long as you don't need a scholarship or an Ivy league-type school university isn't that hard to get into.
    2. some degrees (computer science) are easier to get into than others (nursing).
    3. Identify universities you're interested in and look at their requirements.
    4. Even if you don't meet the printed requirements still talk to an advisory to see if anything can be arranged.
    5. And if you HS marks do tank you, a university pathway degree at a community college will make those marks irrelevant for you. You might still want to look into that option if you want to limit your student debt load.