Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best trucks in your country

Default best trucks in your country

to start off with lets hear your opinion on the three best trucks in your opinion and why.

towing and power:
    my pick would be the dodge ram 3500 diesel dually
    the cummins engine is un-rivaled for the torque it puts out for the pick up class and the engine brake cones in handy for stopping a loaded trailer fast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0907dp_01_z%2B2001_dodge_ram_3500%2Bright_front_angle.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	12456

Most durable:
    hands down the old toyota Hilux's
    you cant kill them both me and top gear have tried, they take a beating and just keep going.

Name:	NPOCP-85Toy4x4-804px.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	12457

your Favorite:
    mine would have to be Ford's F-650/F-750 pickups
    massively oversized and overpowered

Name:	Ford F-650 Super duty.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	12458

so whats your opinion o n trucks in your comunitys

Here in new Zealand no truck is as respected as the hilux. It's a great hunting ute. Can tow your boat and take a beating in its stride.

I also like the ford courier. I learnt to drive in a 2.5 turbo diesel one. It made hill starts easy as, just let the clutch out foot off the break and it would roll up the hill without gas.

Quote Originally Posted by huskvarna View Post
    Here in new Zealand no truck is as respected as the hilux. It's a great hunting ute. Can tow your boat and take a beating in its stride.

I also like the ford courier. I learnt to drive in a 2.5 turbo diesel one. It made hill starts easy as, just let the clutch out foot off the break and it would roll up the hill without gas.
    i miss my old hilux (of sorts it was technicly a 4-runner but the only difference is the top and backseat) i rolled it 10 times down a hill though it was totaled and roof crushed in it still ran i just cut what was left of the roof off and used it as a desert runner.

yeah them diesels are something, i get to drive semi trucks and diesel pickups all day where i work. they definatly got alot of torque.

I'm a Ford guy myself, despite having a number of family members that worked for the General as I was growing up. In my former adult life, I had the opportunity to see a lot of Ford products stacked against competitive products. In pretty much every case, the Ford was superior. In terms of light trucks right now, Ford's F-150 is the top of the heap. A brand new Silverado twists and squeaks like a 10-year-old truck, and their interiors just are not as nice as Ford's. Dodge has come a long way on their interiors, so I'll give that to personal preference.

In terms of capabilities, honestly, Ford and Dodge, and even Chevy, are pretty competitive, and 99.8 percent of end-users are never going to push their trucks to a point where they'll notice the minute differences in payload and towing. Seriously, having worked a lot with the auto industry in my past life, the whole and entire summation of truck marketing and capability is a dick-waving contest. Ford comes out with a new Super Duty with a new diesel (btw, driving that truck on the test track and putting the hammer down is fucking astounding! A truck that big with a big diesel should not be able to accelerate like that or that quietly! It's light-years ahead of my dad's GM Duramax Silverado HD of just five years earlier), so GM puts one out that claims 20 more HP, so Ford reflashes their PCMs and suddenly has more HP than GM again.

Looking at the old trucks and what I see roaming the roads of Michigan, again I have to go Ford. It's not very common to see any truck from the '80s around here, but when I do, it's usually a Ford. It's very uncommon to see an early '90s Chevy (notable by the square dash, since GM was too lazy to update their sheetmetal for 17 years), but there are still a ton of early '90s Fords on the roads. Expanding "trucks" to include full-sized work vans, Ford wins hands-down, and there's a reason why most fleets are running Ford trucks and Ford vans.

Also, fuck Toyota. Fuck them sideways with a rusty pole.

I'm mainly a Chevy/Dodge guy, though I'd lean toward Dodge and the Cummins (preferably with a 6-speed) if I needed a diesel. It's a tragedy that it's so hard to find a truck with a manual transmission these days.

For now, I mainly just need a pickup to haul dirt bikes around, so my little S10 gets me by. It's old and has been to hell and back more times than I even care to think about, but it still runs and gets 30 MPG so I can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Brickhouse View Post
    It's a tragedy that it's so hard to find a truck with a manual transmission these days.
    Here in newzealand you would struggle to find a ute* with an auto. In fact the only person I know who drives an auto ute is mum and that's not by choice.

(*short for utility which is what we call pick ups)
    Last edited by huskvarna; 05-Jun-2012 at 05:20. Reason: Derp

For me the ford f450 Dually diesel I've been using for work hasnt had a single problem and I'm not nice to the truck at all and it dosent slow down even loaded down with 9k lbs of material in tye bed and towing trailers with heavy equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by huskvarna View Post
    Here in newzealand you would struggle to find a ute* with an auto.
    and that's why I prefer other country's to my own most Americans are too lazy to learn how to drive a car. So they get cars that drive themselves. That's the only thing I hate about my truck is that this model did not have an option for a stick so I hunted down a t-5 transmission with 4wd tail shaft(yes transmissions are different between 4wd and 2wd)a clutch, flywheel, new pedals, and a stick. The only thing I ain't got is the clutch linkage weather it be hydraulic or cable I haven't decided yet

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pampersonly View Post
    For me the ford f450 Dually diesel I've been using for work hasnt had a single problem and I'm not nice to the truck at all and it dosent slow down even loaded down with 9k lbs of material in tye bed and towing trailers with heavy equipment.
    Yeah can't stop a power stroke very easily. Though I'm a ford man through and through I'm also a semi nut and in the heavy truck field the only two engines worth their weight in power are cAt and cummins. So on diesel pickups I'd have to go for the cummins dodge pickups. Plus I love that even the small pickup cummins got an option for a jake (compression brake)

Yeah can't stop a power stroke very easily. Though I'm a ford man through and through I'm also a semi nut and in the heavy truck field the only two engines worth their weight in power are cAt and cummins. So on diesel pickups I'd have to go for the cummins dodge pickups. Plus I love that even the small pickup cummins got an option for a jake (compression brake)[/QUOTE]

ive put my truck through its passes I got a chance to drive CATs new voc truck at a demo day they had and damn could that truck haul. I do like the 12v cummins motors just dont like the dodge trucks

Quote Originally Posted by pampersonly View Post

ive put my truck through its passes I got a chance to drive CATs new voc truck at a demo day they had and damn could that truck haul. I do like the 12v cummins motors just dont like the dodge trucks
    yeah them cAt's are really powerfull i dont much care for dodge but like i said in the pickup world there is not an american diesel (cant say bout other countrys cause im not there) out there that can out pull a loaded cummins, my old 98 3500 dually had never been out pulled then a tornado took it from me =(