Thread: Linux help

Default Linux help

I got the basics of Linux down the only issue I'm having is installing programs and getting them to work any one know how and can explain well or know a site or book that can help?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh by the way I'm using fedora 14

.rpm Files are installation files for fedora, yum install is the terminal way of installation, and there is a package manger on fedora as well (I've forgotten what it's called) which is probably the most easiest, and user friendly was of installing software on fedora.

Hope this helped!

Since you are a Linux beginner, use the Package Manager under the system settings which can easily be found there or a quick search. This will install them to the right place and have them working in one click. Since your not proficient in command line (which I would highly suggest learning here: Learning the shell.) that is your easiest option. Some less known programs require command line, but for you that will do the job.

Let us know ya got her working.

Hi Wolfpack,

Here's a link to the section of the Fedora 14 user guide that covers installing and removing additional software;

Chapter*18.*Managing software

Hope this helps

Don't forget to install the build-essential tools, incase you want to compile programs from source. But that's sometimes the only option for some software (or a version you are hunting for). Fedora will likely have all the programs under the hood you need with it's package manager. I never use Fedora much, just CentOS and using yum.

But using the package manager will be your easiest option. It basically is an app store. But everything is free!

Since your new to Linux i would recommend using the package manager. Its the easiest option although. Terminal is also fairly easy but since your new to it i would stay away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by UnMarth View Post
    But everything is free!
    thats why i got into linux in the first place. i got poped by the FBI once as a teen so i tend to now stay away from paid programs.