Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ipod car kit?

Default Ipod car kit?

Anyways yesterday i got a car from my parents as an early birthday present. I want to get a car kit for my ipod because i dont really like any of the stations near me(no techno what so ever).

I'm leaning towards something like this:
    GRIFFIN iTRIP FM TRANSMITTER & CAR CHARGER Ipod Auto NR - eBay (item 400000717767 end time Oct-05-08 18:30:00 PDT)

Just wondering if anyone has used this and how it works or if some one has a better thing(reasonably priced (20-30 USD) they could recommend.

If it's anything like the FM transmitter in my $500 GPS unit, your'e in for a disappointment. It sounds like a great idea, but for one, if you're near a major city it can be very hard to find open channels, and even if you do there will be lots of interference. And when you do squeeze into one that works ok, be prepared for crosstalk with other people doing the same thing .

Your best bet in my opinion: get yourself a nice car stereo. There are ones that have special iPod connectivity where you can even control the iPod through the stereo, or get one that has a front AUX in, and you can use that. This will get you much better sound quality.

Actually it really all depends on where you live chevre. My friend let me borrow his and I can flip to pretty much any FM station and get a good reception from my iPod. It's this little junky thing that plugs into my cigarette lighter (which I use to light my cigarettes) and charges the iPod as it plays. Even then, they're great for the highway!

What kind of radio does your car have, and what connections do you have? For me, I did have some cheap $10-$20 dollar thing that you can either use batteries or plug it into the 12V thing, and it just uses some radio thing...Well it worked for a while, and the quality actually wasn't bad, but then I bumped it the other day, and it just stopped working...So then a few days ago, I bought the kind that are like a fake cassette (yes my car has a cassette player), and all it has is a cable that plugs into the iPod headphone hole...And I'd say it works better, and I got it for like $18 at Target

If you don't care about sound quality, heres what you need:
    cassette player
    iHolder
    Ipod
    cassette adapter
    sound in your car
    Ipod charger
    Last edited by betagame; 06-Oct-2008 at 23:35. Reason: adding item

Quote Originally Posted by betagame View Post
    If you don't care about sound quality, heres what you need:
    cassette player
    iHolder
    Ipod
    cassette adapter
    sound in your car

My cassette adapter has great quality

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    My cassette adapter has great quality
    same here. Also I got one of those little FM things by Griffin but mine does not charge my Ipod however it does work perfectly in areas where there's not a lot of stations. Anyways if you want the best quality buy a new car stereo that has a MP3 input jack on it, it does not need to say Ipod ready it just needs to be a headphone in jack so you can plug a male/male headphone cable into it.

daria7483

Yeah, actually the cassette adapter, if you have a cassette player, isn't a bad idea. I've tried the wireless transmitter things and always got quite a bit of interference, and I don't live in a large city. I can't stand for my music to be staticy at all, so that didn't fly for me. Now I have a thing that my friend hooked up for me that went into the back of the stereo, and hooks into the ipod where you charge it. It basically makes your car think it's another device like a CD player. But I don't know if I'd recommend that either. It costs like $150, and it occasionally has problems like it will just stop playing in the middle of a song and no longer recognize that the ipod is plugged into it. I've probably had way more near-misses trying to fix that thing while driving than most people ever do on a cell phone.

Secret

Yeah I am gonna have to go with the cassete adaptor , the qaulity is alright nothing amazing but its not bad at all. When I buy my parents car I am going to be putting in one of those big woofers so i can drive around like a jackass and piss people off with my loud overly bass'y muzak! But yeah if you have a techi friend just get them to instal a direct cable or use the cassete adaptor.

I actually use this transmitterRadioShack.com - Portable Music: Accessories: iPod accessories: Wireless FM Transmitter from radioshack its meant for IPods but I use it with my guitar so it can be wireless. The range on it is like about 10 FT (before I modded the antenna) Its a good little antenna and it can use FM or AM frequencies so your pretty much set for finding at least one good station. I highly recomend this product for you. Its also usefull for screwing with people radio stations, for instance I can change the classical staion that someone is playing to a death metal one, I did it once and massive lulz ensued.

Just something to think about, but if your ipod is charging whenever your car is on the battery life is going to go downhill fast. it's bad for batteries to be charging when they are full.