Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If money wasn't a problem...

Wink If money wasn't a problem...

What would your ideal setup be? I mean, go ahead. Splurge.

My primary PC would be this:

Newegg.ca - Once You Know, You Newegg

Gaming, coding, anything...ing. Comes to around $5,000 for everything (tax and shipping included)

My secondary would be a Macbook Pro 17 Inch:

Configuration

• 2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    • 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
    • 256GB Solid State Drive
    • SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

• MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
    • Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    • Accessory Kit

How about you?

windows 7 ultimate really isn't worth it I think, just get the lowesr cost verison that has XP mode, thats if you honestly think you need it.

of course if its such a huge issue for people to need that support. install XP to a flash drive.

money no object?

I'd have 3 towers and a Drobo, powering 8 screens all stuck on a USP capable of running 24 hours without the grid with a back up generator that I could run as a further fail safe

Tower 1 would be the primary internet connection, having a fibre connection to the web, so it could be an email/web/ftp server for access to my machines anywhere on the planet, it'd have a single screen showing my sites access statistics.

Tower 2 would be a maintainance module, it'd be in control of making sure my system is virus free, running diagnostics and control a single screen displaying statistics from recent sweeps and scans as well as a count down to any work I need to play an active part in, it'd also provide a secure gateway between my net accessible tower and my main tower with a fall back SDSL internet connection should my fibre line come under attack and a 3G and sat-line if the hard lines are interupted

Tower 3 would be the primary tower user tower, and would be something like this
    • 2 AMD quad core processors in the 4-5GHz speed range
    • 32 or 64GB of RAM
    • 2 SSD storage drives, one for system data (200 GB) only the other for programs and frequently accessed data (500 GB)
    • 2 graphix cards, primary HD card powering the central screen and the other for the 5 peripherals
    • Sound would be on board but with an optical connection to the speakers
    • Wireless access to local devices (Bluetooth IR Wifi)
    • 1 BlueRay Drive +/- RW
    • Redundant CD drive (for music)
    • Redundant Floppy Drive (for backing up old media)
    • Redundant external Data Drive connections (for backing up old media)
    • The central screen would contain my active programs (web gaming work) it would be HD and at least twice the size of the other screens
    • 2 of the peripheral screens would be on each side of the main one the bottom ones would be portrait the top landscape
    • bottom right would be my to do list
    • bottom left would have my social media on constant display
    • top right would be an emulator for 32-bit WinXP (which would be switched to the central HD monitor)
    • top left would be an emulator for 16-bit Win3.11/Dos 6 (which would be switched to the central HD monitor)
    • the 5th screen would lie between my keyboard and mouse and be a replica of the large HD screen with touch control
    • Tower 1 screen would sit on the far right Tower 2 far left
    • Tower 3 should be able to tell this Tower (following security checks) to provide a remote screen to a pre-specified VPN using the backup line so I can use a laptop or terminal anywhere as though it's this machines central screen

Finally there's the Drobo this would be one of the server style ones with 16 disk drive slots, providing a seamless storage array for my masses of files and be one half of the back up system (the other being a once a week backup of accessed and saved files to blueray making a solid archive- at most I can only loose 1 weeks worth of data ^_^) I'd probably fill it with 12 3TB HDDs and 4 1TB SSDs (no more than 3 of the HDDs or 2 SSDs would come from the same manufacturer to limit the chances of catastrophic failures)

Now I know my tower 3 is possible to build (I've seen the components online) and the drobo is buyable and towers 1 and 2 are vague enough that they could be built too. my guess is the system would cost £40-50K ($60-75K) but I would probably need to think more about the OSs and software Tower 1 would need to be Linux with webserver software, T2 I'm not sure about but instinct says this'd need to be Windows, with firewall, anti viral and anti malware software, and T3 for my sake of mind and in order to play games would have to be win7-64bit (if it needs 32-bit the xp emulator would do and 16 bit would go to the 3.11 emulator)

Wow just wow my dream setup but intel processors and againg WOW

I would get one of those cool pink laptops on the TV! One that's really light, and has LOADS of battery power, and you can see the screen in the sun, and is really good at recieving wifi, and won't break when I drop it!

Andddddd it would have a really cool pink case and charger and headphones!

Andddddd it would be really fast!

you're welcome ^_^ problem is I couldn't find an intel compatible motherboard with the specs

Would take a Black Frame with glass sides and monster green led lights, liquid cooled, dual intel I7 extreme processors, as much ram as I could cram into it, Two nvidia Quadro fx 5800 gpu's, 4 3tb hard drives, DVD and blueray drives, 64 bit windows 7 nvidia, two 8 outlet USB hubs. Turbo wireless keyboard and mouse, Gotta have a surge strip with internal battery for the occasional power outage, dual 40" 1080p flat screen tvs as the monitors. And that's just off top of my head I'm pretty sure I can improve it with a little more research.

Quote Originally Posted by DylanK View Post
    money no object?

I'd have 3 towers and {snip}
    I wouldn't bother with the towers. Would be far easier to go with a 19'' rack setup with a stack of dual-redundant enterprise-class servers attached to a fast RAID disk system. Probably with nightly backup to a remote facility in case the whole lot caught fire and burned my house down.

And you should have a raspberry pi in there too

If money were not a problem, my ideal setup would be no setup.

I'd travel.

I'd spend time outside and see things, meet people, eat food.

No need to be stuck in a box looking at another box if money is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by EarendurAldarion View Post
    What would your ideal setup be? I mean, go ahead. Splurge.

My primary PC would be this:

Newegg.ca - Once You Know, You Newegg

Gaming, coding, anything...ing. Comes to around $5,000 for everything (tax and shipping included)

My secondary would be a Macbook Pro 17 Inch:

Configuration

• 2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    • 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
    • 256GB Solid State Drive
    • SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

• MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
    • Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    • Accessory Kit

How about you?