Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need MP3 Player Advice

Default Need MP3 Player Advice

OK SO I live in Maine, living in Maine and enjoying all this fine state has to offer seems to also mean being hard on equipment. For the third time since 2009 I have utterly killed my MP3 player.

What i was hoping is that you smart young tech savy folks could recommend to me a near bulletproof MP3 Player.

It needs to: be able to get wet, be dropped, be sat on, be tossed at the idiot in front of you and maybe play music and books as well.

What do you suggest?

I've found a number of decent looking ones on amazon, this should hopefully help you out Amazon.com: waterproof mp3 player

best regards

Buy small cheap ones with no screen and old fashion buttons. Smaller surface area means less chance of a twist/split type problem.. no screen means nothing to get cracked besides the PCB inside. Cheap means when you do destroy the thing, you buy a new one and not sweat it. These days unless you're sporting a set of high end headphones.. you arn't going to notice the audio quality difference.. and even the cheap walmart brand ones are gonna store a few days worth of music.

If you want to go extreme, you can get something like the Monolith. No link, idea what it costs, or whether it's even still available.. but apparently it's specifically built to take a beating.

i have an ipod nano (5g, so not the little square one) with a full cover plastic case, covers the screen too. it's been dropped numerous times, and since it's one piece, unless you drop in in water all the way, it's going to be fine.

it's not about being careful, it's about not being careless. i throw mine in my pocket all the time, and i just remember to put it back in there when i'm done with it. :\

I've always recommended iPod, but in your case I'd say go with a Sony Ericsson mp3 player, my brother had problems with breaking mp3 players and stuff, and he bought one of these about a year ago. Since then he's dropped it in boiling water, ran it through the washing machine, dropped it from a car at over 50 mph, and I think he's thrown it plenty of times and it has held up quite well. They're kinda pricy $90-$100 but it pays for itself :P.

Buy a used practically new Sansa clip + 8 gig capacity from Amazon for 45 bucks. Buy a protective case for an additional 10-15 bucks that does all the same stuff as those fancy more expensive players. The clip + is my current player for the last year and a half with little problems and is compatible with all software. It will not play Apple audio files without the addition of Rock Box as the firmware.

Cheapest, best high capacity player on the market in my opinion and pretty tough little thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Buy a used practically new Sansa clip + 8 gig capacity from Amazon for 45 bucks. Buy a protective case for an additional 10-15 bucks that does all the same stuff as those fancy more expensive players. The clip + is my current player for the last year and a half with little problems and is compatible with all software. It will not play Apple audio files without the addition of Rock Box as the firmware.

Cheapest, best high capacity player on the market in my opinion and pretty tough little thing.
    Sansas have far better sound quality than iPods too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone for the advice.

My little Brother said "you are an idiot, you have a Casio Commando, the toughest smartphone on the market, just use the MP3 Player option in it and you don't have to carry two devices"

OH DUH

Never even thought of that.

PullupKid

Unless you're an audiophile like me, an ipod will do you fine. I have one with a waterproof case that I still use daily that I got in 2005.

If you are an audiophile, sorry for your wallet, and get a sansa.
    Last edited by PullupKid; 26-May-2012 at 06:57.

I have a 5th generation nano and it was perfectly reliable until I washed it. They make water resistant cases for them. Simply, don't get them wet.... but I've left mine in the florida heat in my truck and all other kinds of things and it has held up well. small, and reasonably durable.